Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Winners / Losers side bracket question

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Winners / Losers side bracket question
Old
  (#1)
Bic D
AzB Silver Member
Bic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Winners / Losers side bracket question - 10-16-2019, 05:30 PM

Race to 3 on the winners side.

Race to 2 on the losers side

A player battles back from the losers side to play for 1 & 2 spot.

Is it back to a race to 3?

Old
  (#2)
ShortBusRuss
Short Bus Russ - C Player
ShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond repute

10-16-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bic D View Post

It's whatever the tournament director wants it to be.

But, as a general rule, in the finals, both players race to the same amount of games each set, regardless of whether they are in the winner's / loser's bracket.And it sure wouldn't be fair to make it a race to 2 for the winner, so that pretty much mandates it being a race to 3.

And again, whether it is a single race to 3, winner take all, or two sets, with a race to 3 for the first set, and a race to 2 for the second set, is 100% on the tournament director.

Old
  (#3)
Bic D
AzB Silver Member
Bic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond repute

10-16-2019, 07:03 PM

Thanks,

At one of the places I frequent, the B side player has to win twice and then 3 more times.

Just wondering.

Old
  (#4)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
10-17-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks,

At one of the places I frequent, the B side player has to win twice and then 3 more times.

Just wondering.
Really can't do it 100% equitably. Best that can be done is to have the finals' terms known by all participants at event start.

You've got one player that hasn't lost yet and should be going to 3.
You've got another player that lost once and should be going to 2...

Old
  (#5)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-17-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:

In the tournament I run it is a double elimination finals with a longer race first then the shorter race. I think normally it is done that way if it's not a single elimination final.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#6)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-17-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks,

Just wondering.
That makes absolutely no sense. Is this an actual pool hall or a bar with non-players doing the tournament? I don't know of any "player" that would come up with that rule, even if it's a race to 1.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#7)
Buckzapper
AzB Silver Member
Buckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond repute

10-17-2019, 07:56 AM

I like the race to one format, but I struggle with the alternate break rule.

"Wow! He cut that ball so thin, like a worker from the delicatessen." Upstate Al

"I'll play anyone in the house even for this big bag of quarters." Scooter

"Never kick in One Pocket, unless you're mad at your backer." Danny Diliberto

Old
  (#8)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
10-17-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
That makes absolutely no sense. Is this an actual pool hall or a bar with non-players doing the tournament? I don't know of any "player" that would come up with that rule, even if it's a race to 1.
It makes sense in terms of games...not sets or matches.

Old
  (#9)
ctyhntr
RIP Ginky
ctyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond repute

10-17-2019, 09:50 AM

YMMV, if I was running the tournament it would be a race to 3 for the first match. Player B in the hot seat hasn't lost.

If Player B loses, then the second match would be race to 2 since both players have lost.

Any other, such as both being a race to 3 or a single race to X has to be expressed before the start of the match.

Quote:

My ego is writing checks that my stroke can't cash.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: