Switched to harder tip and started to play bad
Old
  (#1)
pw98
AzB Bronze Member
pw98 is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Switched to harder tip and started to play bad - 10-23-2019, 11:19 PM

Last week my Kamui Black Soft tip chunked out so I had a Sniper installed (Which is harder). Since then I have played the 6-ball and 7-ball ghost at least 15 times and lost every time. Depending upon the day, i normally come out even or ahead of the 6-ball ghost. I seem to be overrunning a lot of shots and missing shots that need to be hit softly.

Should I spend the money and switch back to a Kamui Black Soft or should I wait it out and see if I get better with the harder tip?

Also, I have never tried a tip softer than Kamui Black Soft so if i seem to play better with it might there be a chance I'll play even better with a Kamui Black SS?

Old
  (#2)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2019, 01:25 AM

Once it is in your head- which this obviously is now- I would go back to a tip you are most comfortable with already. I guarantee you, until you go back, you will blame every poor performance on that newer tip.

Old
  (#3)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member
evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2019, 03:03 AM

why not play with it some?
you may or may not end up liking it
but give the new tip a fair shake
worst case scenario, you learn something
if you bail without understanding why
you miss out on that chance

peace & love

Old
  (#4)
buckshotshoey
AzB Silver Member
buckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2019, 03:51 AM

I was just the opposite. I went from a medium Onyx (Everest before that) to a Morri hard. And I haven't looked back. There was a learning curve to it. What I like most about it is it plays the same from the install, to the time i have to switch it out for a new one. Which is only every other year or so

Playing cue...OB17EMW OB1+ shaft.Everest tip
Playing cue...Predator Icon 1-1 ... 314-2 shaft
Morri hard tip
Playing cue...Viking Millennium (VM25)
Everest tip
Jump/break...Players S-PJB5

"Second place is just another way of saying FIRST PLACE LOSER"

Last edited by buckshotshoey; 10-25-2019 at 03:19 AM.

Old
  (#5)
JazzboxBlues
AzB Silver Member
JazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond reputeJazzboxBlues has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2019, 04:29 AM

Previously when I played I had always used harder tips. When I started playing again I found hard tips too hard and started playing with a softer tip than before. After a couple years back Iím back to a harder tip. Thoroughbred medium hard to be exact.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#6)
surffisher2a
AzB Silver Member
surffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond reputesurffisher2a has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2019, 06:05 AM

I am opposite of that as well. I always had a hard tip on my cues when I started playing because the only soft tip I tried was an elk master on a house cue. I made up my mind that those soft tips are junk only made for cheap cues. Of course I was wrong and once I got a hold of a kamui soft, my skill level went up a small notch. I was able to play position / draw / follow with a lot less effort. I haven't had a hard tip on my cues since (also not using kamui anymore either).

It really just comes down to preference on how you like to feel the hit and how much work you want to put in to maintain the tip.

Old
  (#7)
td873
BCA PCA ABA
td873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

10-24-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw98 View Post
Last week my Kamui Black Soft tip chunked out so I had a Sniper installed (Which is harder). Since then I have played the 6-ball and 7-ball ghost at least 15 times and lost every time. Depending upon the day, i normally come out even or ahead of the 6-ball ghost. I seem to be overrunning a lot of shots and missing shots that need to be hit softly.

Should I spend the money and switch back to a Kamui Black Soft or should I wait it out and see if I get better with the harder tip?

Also, I have never tried a tip softer than Kamui Black Soft so if i seem to play better with it might there be a chance I'll play even better with a Kamui Black SS?
Just keep practicing. You'll get the speed down. I think there was a video or article somewhere explaining that harder tips impart more speed than their softer counterparts (maybe only marginally).

Once your brain is reprogrammed, you'll be fine. It's not much different than a table with new cloth. Everything rolls a little farther. But after you're used to it, all is right.

-td

Black + Gilbert J/B
Justis
9' GC I/II [Diamond Specs] [Littman light]
Simonis HR [Tournament blue]
Aramith Pro Cup TV / Cyclop

Old
  (#8)
StrokeofLuck
AzB Silver Member
StrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeofLuck has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-24-2019, 06:15 AM

If your previous tip was played way down, like the thickness of a nickel or so, it might be more the height of the tip than the density. That's why a lot of people cut them back a ways during install. It feels strange for a while to have a thick tip when you're used to something shorter. Play with it for a bit, maybe have it trimmed down, before you give up on it.

Follow the grain in your own wood

Old
  (#9)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:

So there is obviously a lot of personal preference involved but snipers are just terrible in my opinion. I tried one since it came on my shaft. I hated it but gave it a few months. They might be harder than kamui soft but I wouldnít call them hard, it felt very sluggish to me and I just never felt comfortable with it.

I switched to an extra hard WB and itís sick. Now that itís almost gone though I think itís compressed and too hard. Starting to miscue.

I think tip hardness depends on play style. I like to use less force so I like I real hard tip to transfer max energy, I feel like Iím more accurate having to put less Umph for the same speed.

If I were you though I probably would ditch the sniper and go back to your kamui or experiment elsewhere

Old
  (#10)
Mkindsv
AzB Silver Member
Mkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2019, 08:14 AM

If your only problem is overrunning position, try hitting a quarter tip lower on the cue ball. In my experience, all the shots that can be made with one tip can be made with another, unless you are trying to get some large bit of masse going on. I have 6 different tips on 6 different cues, all of them play about the same though, slight adjustments do have to be made, but they are almost unconscious after the first couple of balls.. The only tip I ever put on that I didn't like was a Kamui Hard. Was very hard indeed.

Old
  (#11)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2019, 10:25 AM

I loved Sniper but they tend to fall apart. I tried Kamui black for a couple days. I couldn't keep the chalk on it. I could paint it on thick and by the next shot the whole tip would be empty. The CB would slip all around on the tip, I had to play center ball and very carefully. It was crazy. I switched to a Zan Medium and its the best tip I've ever played with.

Old
  (#12)
CharlesUFarley
AzB Silver Member
CharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond reputeCharlesUFarley has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecentShot View Post
I loved Sniper but they tend to fall apart. I tried Kamui black for a couple days. I couldn't keep the chalk on it. I could paint it on thick and by the next shot the whole tip would be empty. The CB would slip all around on the tip, I had to play center ball and very carefully. It was crazy. I switched to a Zan Medium and its the best tip I've ever played with.
I recently started using the Zan as well. I believe I have the Hybrid Max medium. They play great, but seem to wear down MUCH faster than any other tips I have used.

Old
  (#13)
MitchAlsup
AzB Silver Member
MitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2019, 03:16 PM

I, personally, like hard tips (at least the ones made with pig leather)

But once it is in your head that you don't like a tip--for ANY reason, valid or imagined--
it is time to change you tip.

Old
  (#14)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-24-2019, 05:05 PM

Switch back to what you were using and quit experimenting with your own cue.
Stick with what you know worked fine. If and when you encounter a cue you can
try that has a different tip than Kamui Black soft, and I recommend you actually
use Kamui Clear Black soft, then switch your cueís tip. Just play what you know
you like until you find a cue with a tip you prefer more. Tip hardness is important.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (9-6-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon '85 Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#15)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:

I had Kamui Black Super Soft tips on my cues for a while and they didn't live up to my expectations. They constantly mushroomed and glazed over.

I switched them out for Ultra-Skin Black Soft tips and that is all I use now. The hit feels about the same, but they play way better, don't glaze over, and cost about 1/10 of what the Kamui tips cost.

I sold one to a guy about a year ago and, just last Sunday, he came up to me and said he had just put it on his cue and really liked it and wanted to buy some more. Prior to that, he was using one of the "high dollar" tips that are "over rated" and cost way more.

Last edited by HawaiianEye; 10-24-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: