Willie Jopling Remembers
Old
  (#1)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Willie Jopling Remembers - 11-12-2019, 06:22 PM

Those of you who knew or knew of Willie Jopling will find this interesting. That was the pen name of Bill Marshall who wrote a column of trick shots, skill shots and propositions for Billiards Digest for many years. This reminiscence mostly covers the years before Willie discovered pool.

http://www.billiardworld.com/wayitwas.html

The website was created by Jim Meador, another name that long-time innerwebz denizens may remember. It is worth a look around.

And here is an interview with Willie on 1P.org: https://www.onepocket.org/JoplingInterview.htm

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by Bob Jewett; 11-12-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Old
  (#2)
MisterBanker
Appalachain American
MisterBanker has a reputation beyond reputeMisterBanker has a reputation beyond reputeMisterBanker has a reputation beyond reputeMisterBanker has a reputation beyond reputeMisterBanker has a reputation beyond reputeMisterBanker has a reputation beyond reputeMisterBanker has a reputation beyond reputeMisterBanker has a reputation beyond reputeMisterBanker has a reputation beyond reputeMisterBanker has a reputation beyond reputeMisterBanker has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-12-2019, 08:11 PM

His columns was usually the 2nd or 3rd thing I would read when I got the new issue of Billiards Digest, behind George Fels and Grady Mathews.

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Old
  (#3)
Cuebuddy
Vege-table
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

11-12-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Those of you who knew or knew of Willie Jopling will find this interesting. That was the pen name of Bill Marshall who wrote a column of trick shots, skill shots and propositions for Billiards Digest for many years. This reminiscence mostly covers the years before Willie discovered pool.

The website was created by Jim Meador, another name that long-time innerwebz denizens may remember. It is worth a look around.

And here is an interview with Willie on 1P.org: https://www.onepocket.org/JoplingInterview.htm
Thanks for the links Bob.
This was very possibly the first pool related website I had ever clicked on and I was thrilled. Dial up brought it up even though it loaded one horizontal strip at a time. That was when I realized there were others out in the world like myself.

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#4)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post

Thanks Bob, fascinating story. I knew Willie pretty well and always enjoyed his company. He loved showing off his knowledge of trick and proposition shots. That was his specialty. He played a decent game too but kept that under wraps for the most part. I would see him every year at the U.S. Open in Norfolk and he would show up at the trade shows and big tournaments. I remember his big smile and friendly manner. He'd talk to you all day if you were willing to listen.

P.S. There is a lot of good stuff on his videos. I highly recommend them if you can find a copy.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#5)
Ratamon
AzB Gold Member
Ratamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Thanks Bob, fascinating story. I knew Willie pretty well and always enjoyed his company. He loved showing off his knowledge of trick and proposition shots. That was his specialty. He played a decent game too but kept that under wraps for the most part. I would see him every year at the U.S. Open in Norfolk and he would show up at the trade shows and big tournaments. I remember his big smile and friendly manner. He'd talk to you all day if you were willing to listen.

P.S. There is a lot of good stuff on his videos. I highly recommend them if you can find a copy.

Thank you for the link Bob. I got his one pocket and pool trickshot DVDs from Freddy’s daughter a couple of years ago. She may still have few copies left. If anyone’s interested, you can check out at https://freddythebeard.com

I think it’s one of the best one hole instructionals out there contents-wise (not presentation-wise), on par with Grady’s 1P videos. His style is a bit dry and if it doesn’t put you to sleep, you will learn a lot from his videos. Some of the things he explains I have not seen in any other 1P videos (and I have them all, except Cliff Joyner’s which I threw out in a bin - when you see it you’ll understand why).

I know he also wrote Willie Jopling’s Book on Pocket Billiards but I have had no joy yet finding a copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#6)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratamon View Post
... I know he also wrote Willie Jopling’s Book on Pocket Billiards but I have had no joy yet finding a copy. ...
This is actually a little six-ring binder. Willie published sets of pages to put in it on subjects like one pocket shots, propositions, and caroms. I may have a complete set in the binder but I'm not sure -- I haven't checked against the ads he used to run in magazines.

There is a 3x5 card for scale.

Name:  CropperCapture[408].jpg
Views: 215
Size:  21.5 KB

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#7)
Chip Roberson
AzB Silver Member
Chip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 02:02 PM

Mr Marshall was a true Gentleman of our sport. I first met him in Roanoke back in the early 70's and we were friends until he passed away. When ever we saw each other he would ask me about any new tricks I could show him and then he would show what new ones he had discovered He taught me the 15 ball chain reaction shot and that one amazed folks when I performed it. He had a very good mind , along with a good imagination for the game and the shots that he came up with,,never was a dull time, when our paths crossed.
He had a nice Room in Lynchburg Va for awhile, and I remember stopping by on a trip to see if I could catch some action. Jim Heldrith was riding with me, and Jim spotted this guy and then told me, that was Billy Johnson,,I went to him and to check what kind of game we could make,,and he was no play,,wouldn't come off of any kind of spot and wasn't Billy Johnson,,didn't know the guy and had never heard of him, but we could play even. Years later the gent turned out to be Jack Cooney .

Last edited by Chip Roberson; 11-13-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Know
Old
  (#8)
franko
AzB Silver Member
franko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond repute

Know - 11-13-2019, 02:34 PM

I got to know "Willie " from talking to him at his stand that would be at the US Open. I have a Billiard Digest addressed to Willie Jopling I bought it because of his name being on it. He was also nice enough to get me a copy of a memorial that was for Weenie Beanie a dear friend of Willie's.
Thanks for posting the articles

Old
  (#9)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 04:07 PM

Lots of good reading there...many thanks.

Old
  (#10)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

11-13-2019, 04:24 PM

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old
  (#11)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

11-13-2019, 09:56 PM

I'm still not certain how many different packages of shot diagrams Willie Jopling published but here is a list of what's in a little binder that I have:

Beginner's Trick Shots --- TS-1 to TS-8
Advanced and Professional Trick Shots --- TS-9 to TS-27
Proposition Trick Shots --- PROP-1 to PROP-7
Billiard Trick Shots --- BTS-1 to BTS-9
Thirty Scientific Facts --- 2 pages
Improve Your Shotmaking (30 tips) --- 3 pages
The Truth in Banking Fundamentals --- TIB-1 to TIB-13
Outstanding One Pocket Moves and Safeties --- OP-1 to OP-15
One Pocket Handicapping (39 ways) + rules for Kiss Pool --- 6 pages

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by Bob Jewett; 11-13-2019 at 10:15 PM.

Old
  (#12)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

11-14-2019, 04:57 AM

here is a pic of the inside of the binder with a personal note from willie to me
Name:  willie jopling book inside with note.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  198.1 KB

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: