how are ya'll doing in league ?

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Week 2 of the Spring session was last night. I will hopefully play in the third week, I've sat the past two weeks.

Our captain decided to step down, letting the co-captain take over. From past experience, our co-captain has always chosen to sit me when she is there. I only recall one night where she asked me to play and even then it was only because two others couldn't show up. Hard to believe you would sit a player with a win/loss of 75-80% the past 3 sessions.

I hope you guys are playing well! Best of luck to anyone who is going to Tri-Cups and/or Regionals soon! We'll be at the next Tri-Cups for New Orleans, this upcoming February/March.

Sbrogdon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doing Ok

My consistency is poor since I started back last year after 5-6 years of not picking up a cue. I am a 6 in APA 9 ball. I beat a 7 last week and an 8 this week. Maybe my eyes are starting to focus again after the layoff..

I Captain my team and we are Aim It and Claim It.

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won my two matches to nil last night, every other player lost on the hill, 4-2 loss.. Sickening!!!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we had 8 ball tri cups last weekend. my team went 2 and out. i am the only player on my team that won my matches this weekend. no one else won a single match.:(

had apa double jeapordy last night. i only played 9 ball. won 15-5 vs another 5...points total was 38-24. we played on the 9 footers...1st time in 2 months for our team. i started out rattling every thing but by the 3rd rack i settled down and started making pretty good runs.

the rest of the team continued their funk from the tri cups. the only other match besides mine that we won was our 3 defeating a 2 ...3-1 in 8 ball.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Week 3 - Spring Session - 9 ball

I finally got a chance to play. This was my first match since November or early December, IIRC. We played a fairly stacked team, that is new to our division. I know one of their players personally and that's who I ended up matching up with. He's also an SL6, so the race was even (46-46).

I won the flip. Broke and ran out, but there was one dead ball, because I ended it with a 7-9 combination. Is that considered a break and run? Anyway, I broke the second rack dry and he came to the table firing. I finally pulled ahead and it was somewhere in the realm of 37-21. I broke the next rack, got all the way down to the nine ball and dogged a straight back bank. He dropped it, broke the next rack, making three balls and looked like he had a chance to come back. The score was now 45-26 and looked like he was going to come back. Now here's where it got heated...

The two and three ball were relatively close to each other and I was sitting 10 feet away in my chair watching. He got down on the shot and it looked like he was shooting between them. I didn't want to hop up and shark the guy, so I waited. Then he shot the three ball... I hopped up and called foul, took my BIH and made my last ball. He got upset that I didn't tell him he was shooting the wrong ball.

Here's my view of the situation:
I saw he was shooting towards the 2/3.
I didn't tell him which ball to shoot, because an SL6+ should know better.
I didn't want to get up and check, because he would think I'm sharking him.
I called foul, because well... it's a foul.

I honestly don't see how I'm in the wrong, but do feel bad that I won my last point, because of a foul.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Lost a 5-5 8-ball race 5-3. It was so cold in this bar that I was shivering while playing. Have you ever tried to have a smooth stroke while shivering? It doesn't happen. My opponent is a good guy and we had a good time.

As I'm sure you all remember :rolleyes:, we are in 2nd place and needed the 1st place team to lose a few so we could gain ground. Well, they've been kicking some ass the last couple weeks and unless they completely fall apart (which I seriously doubt) they have 1st locked in.

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
9 ball Tri Cup

Had 9 ball tri cup last week. Got put up against a strong 7 that had just beaten another 9 badly. I won the lag and broke and ran the first two. Made 3 on the next break so I had to go for the long cut to get my 3 in a row. Missed and he got out. Wound up winning 75-29 with two more break and run down to a cheesed 9 off the seven. Didnt even have to play the rest of playoffs because my team played like champs. Qualified for City. :thumbup:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had 9 ball tri cup last week. Got put up against a strong 7 that had just beaten another 9 badly. I won the lag and broke and ran the first two. Made 3 on the next break so I had to go for the long cut to get my 3 in a row. Missed and he got out. Wound up winning 75-29 with two more break and run down to a cheesed 9 off the seven. Didnt even have to play the rest of playoffs because my team played like champs. Qualified for City. :thumbup:

congrats. :thumbup:

played my 8 ball travel tue night. my body showed up but my mind was a 1,000 miles away apparently.

1st rack my opponent is on the 8....he calls a time out because if he tries the side pocket its a sure scratch in the corner...if he calls the corner its a likely scratch in the side. after sone deliberation he calls the side pocket. he shoots and misses...obvious to me ...the 8 never moved.

i walk up and pick up the cue ball...my opponent says he touched the 8 ball. i reply ..i never saw the 8 ball move. he said he did touch the 8 and then he walks over to the lo and explains that i never asked if it was bih before i picked up the cue ball. the lo says its a foul because i did not ask....yea i know that rule and i was guilty but it was obvious he never touched the 8 and even his team mate that gave him the time out and was watching the shot said he never saw the 8 move.

well he got bih on the 8 and i just never mentally got in the game after that and lost 4-1 in a 4-4 race.

oh yea...about the 1 rack i won. he is on the 8 . after he calls his pocket its obvious to me the only way he is gonna make it is by hitting my blocker 1st. i decide i want an observer after that bs move the 1st rack. by the look on his face he got a lil upset about me calling for the lo to observe. well he jacks up and tries a masse shot at warp speed. he hits the 8 on what looks like a good hit...hard to tell at that speed but the 8 rattles the pocket....the cue ball flies up table hitting the top rail ...flies back down table scratching in the corner pocket.

i am thinking ...karma ...mf'er. i just like to go out and have a good time playing pool and hardly ever get the viewpoint i did when he screwed up but i thought he deserved it after that bs move the 1st rack.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
congrats. :thumbup:

played my 8 ball travel tue night. my body showed up but my mind was a 1,000 miles away apparently.

1st rack my opponent is on the 8....he calls a time out because if he tries the side pocket its a sure scratch in the corner...if he calls the corner its a likely scratch in the side. after sone deliberation he calls the side pocket. he shoots and misses...obvious to me ...the 8 never moved.

i walk up and pick up the cue ball...my opponent says he touched the 8 ball. i reply ..i never saw the 8 ball move. he said he did touch the 8 and then he walks over to the lo and explains that i never asked if it was bih before i picked up the cue ball. the lo says its a foul because i did not ask....yea i know that rule and i was guilty but it was obvious he never touched the 8 and even his team mate that gave him the time out and was watching the shot said he never saw the 8 move.

well he got bih on the 8 and i just never mentally got in the game after that and lost 4-1 in a 4-4 race.

oh yea...about the 1 rack i won. he is on the 8 . after he calls his pocket its obvious to me the only way he is gonna make it is by hitting my blocker 1st. i decide i want an observer after that bs move the 1st rack. by the look on his face he got a lil upset about me calling for the lo to observe. well he jacks up and tries a masse shot at warp speed. he hits the 8 on what looks like a good hit...hard to tell at that speed but the 8 rattles the pocket....the cue ball flies up table hitting the top rail ...flies back down table scratching in the corner pocket.

i am thinking ...karma ...mf'er. i just like to go out and have a good time playing pool and hardly ever get the viewpoint i did when he screwed up but i thought he deserved it after that bs move the 1st rack.

What if you had asked if it was BIH, but he said "no"?

Going_Postal

Registered
I had been a weak 5 fluctuating back and forth to a 4 , I swapped out my 13mm shaft for an OB-2 11.75 and it has improved my game to the point where i would say I am a strong 5 now . I just changed the tip to a Kamui SS and found myself putting to much english on the ball last night , but once i get use to the tip I believe my game will improve some more .

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
League

At Tri Cities, I started the team off with a 19-1 in 9 ball. We fell apart, with the final match coming down the the last ball. Opponent rattled it, but it ran down the length of the table and dropped! We were done.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had been a weak 5 fluctuating back and forth to a 4 , I swapped out my 13mm shaft for an OB-2 11.75 and it has improved my game to the point where i would say I am a strong 5 now . I just changed the tip to a Kamui SS and found myself putting to much english on the ball last night , but once i get use to the tip I believe my game will improve some more .

Be glad you feel that you play better with that shaft/tip combo. Switching from a maple shaft to a low deflection thin diameter shaft is not something I would suggest to a SL4/5.

ChrisWoj

Just some one eyed guy.
Silver Member
Had a few nice league matches in the past week. Last Friday started out hot with a pair of wins on a 3-3 race. But after I got to 2-0 he started with the safeties and managed to eek out two narrow wins before I put him away. Monday rolls around and I've got one of his Friday teammates as my match - a 3-4 race against one of the best female league players in the city. She shoots a mean safety game. I won the lag and led off with a B&R, and just missed a long bank on my last stripe in game 2 going for another B&R... and she started the safeties.

Thanks to her Friday teammate, I'd spent all weekend on my kicks, and rolled right over her. She managed to get pair of W's before I put her away 3-2, but even though in the end she out-safetied me twice, each time it took 10+ safeties to get the advantage and the last game I managed to narrowly outlast her and keep her from reaching the hill. All thanks to her teammate out-doing me with a few safeties a few days before.

Best part of it all was the following morning I got a text from the league operator who'd been observing the match:
"Good morning Mr Wojo. I've been very busy and haven't had time to say this to you but I've been wanting to tell you for awhile now that I'm very happy for you, you are a pool player that has improved their game so much, its nice to see young guys play pool and get better and stay the same as they were when they 1st started and I do know some of them. You have the gift and I just wanted to tell you that congrats on your improvement I like watching people play as they get better."

Marathon text message. But what he said means a lot. It's good knowing I'm not the only one noticing that I'm getting better at this game.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if you had asked if it was BIH, but he said "no"?

what if ? well i would have been upset that he chose not to admit he fouled. i only had 2 balls left...plus the 8. i could have probably got out from where the cue ball laid but it was much easier to get on my last ball starting with bih.

yea i made a mistake not asking bih ? before i picked up the cue ball. i have played this guy several times ...we are pretty even. i never thought he would not admit he fouled. even the guy who gave him a time out said he did not see the 8 move and he was watching the shot also.

bobprobst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what if ? well i would have been upset that he chose not to admit he fouled. i only had 2 balls left...plus the 8. i could have probably got out from where the cue ball laid but it was much easier to get on my last ball starting with bih.

yea i made a mistake not asking bih ? before i picked up the cue ball. i have played this guy several times ...we are pretty even. i never thought he would not admit he fouled. even the guy who gave him a time out said he did not see the 8 move and he was watching the shot also.

I've been on the other side of that discussion before: caught a ball so thin it just rocked a little, I don't know if it was the breeze or what, but I saw it move. I was playing a safety and trying to cut super-thin - move the OB an inch or less and scoot the CB behind some blockers.

The other player called foul, even my team mates called it a miss. It was a regular week league match so I just let go ball in hand and ended up losing because I was kicking myself for not standing up for what I know I saw. In APA - at least as far as my understanding - it's the shooter's call on fouls like this unless someone is designated to watch.

It's a good lesson to keep in mind for playoff matches - when I'm trying to play that thin call a watch on myself.

bobprobst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As for my league play: I shoot APA 5 in 8 and 9 ball. We came to the last match of our fall season with five 8 ball teams within 2 points of each other - basically tied for 2nd place. 1st place team already had a spot in the YE finals so who ever got 2nd place was moving into tricups. We got 3 shutouts in a row for 9 points (I was one of them although against a pretty weak 4) and breezed our way into tricups the next weekend.

Our first match in tricups was against a new team coming in from another county where our LOs are trying to start up some new divisions. The team was full of 4s with their top player handicapped at a 5. The rumors were that they all played much better than their handicaps and we were on edge and watching closely for any indication of playing over their level. Even the LO was watching.

Now, our team has four 5s and four 4s. There's no hero players but we all shoot very consistently so we can grind down those teams that have a couple of heroes and a cast of supporting, low level players. Just the type of team I love to be on. We're also all great friends - no bickering and just great positive support.

I start the matches off against the unknown team's only 5. He starts off shooting great: perfect position, opening clusters. And that really gets my attention and I'm telling myself I need to play my best game. He makes a mistake and I'm immediately looking to either run or lock him up. Table says lock him up and he's completely unphased - shoots out, plays safe right back to avoid a sell out... but I end up on the better end of the fight and take him 4-2. Next match goes hill but we grab it and so on. We make it to the second round and I tell the LO there's nothing wrong with their handicaps. We beat them straight up.

Second round and we find ourselves going into the last match 3 points down. Only a shut out will win it for us and our captain puts up his wife. A strong APA 4 who has always shown a lot of character when the pressure is on. She comes through so perfectly and wins her match 3-0 and we move into the finals.

I get put up first against one of their two 6s - who is a 7 in 9 ball - and is not afraid of playing money games in his spare time. I know that I can kick him out of his comfort zone by playing safe on him every chance I got. And that's just what I did. I got him on full tilt and beat him 4-2. Other matches went in our favor and after match 4 we didn't even have to play the last one - they were too far behind in points for it to count.

So yeah, league play's been looking good. We just need keep the enthusiasm up and make the same thing happen in year ends.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member

I guess I was wondering if you had asked and he said 'no' could his teammate then step up and say, "yes it is" and you get BIH?

To me, the rule of "you must ask before taking BIH" can almost be rephrased as "your opponent must acknowledge his own foul" and if no one can override your opponent then what do you do at that point?

I also just hate it when my opponent hooks me, I miss my object ball by a mile, and he walks up and says, "ball in hand?"

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won 2 and lost 2 matches in Valley last night.

Conclusion: I suck

I can't believe you. You are a disgrace! Your punishment should be to change your avatar to a man! :rotflmao1:

It's ok though, be disappointed in me too. I missed another three pack this past Wednesday :sorry:

Going_Postal

Registered
Be glad you feel that you play better with that shaft/tip combo. Switching from a maple shaft to a low deflection thin diameter shaft is not something I would suggest to a SL4/5.[/QUOTE

Yeah , I was told that it wouldn't work out so well , but I beat a 5 in 8 and a 6 in 9 Wednesday night and took out another 6 in 9 last night ( didn't get to play 8 ) . I have more control and I am able to put more spin on the ball . I am loving it .