how are ya'll doing in league ?

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Tri Cups

Congrats drv4. See you at city. :grin: Our weekend wasnt nearly as long or dramatic. Got a bye on Saturday morning, won our first match in 4. Played yesterday at 11 and we were out of there by 1:45 Didnt have to play our 5th game again. We did have one person go up during the tourney though so looks like we are hunting for mor 2's and 3's before city.

Kaiser Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been in a slump in 8-ball since moving up to a SL4... last week I was playing a 3, had control of the first 3 matches until a bad shot turned into a loss (8 wrong pocket). Hill-hill match I'm on tilt and it ends with the SL3 having a hanger in 3 pockets to get to the 8 and winning 2-2. At least we are LTC qualified already, still need to get it together before June though. Tri-cups for 9 in 2 weeks, still a SL3 in 9 but at 80% win this session and last so that may not be the case for long.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats drv4. See you at city. :grin: Our weekend wasnt nearly as long or dramatic. Got a bye on Saturday morning, won our first match in 4. Played yesterday at 11 and we were out of there by 1:45 Didnt have to play our 5th game again. We did have one person go up during the tourney though so looks like we are hunting for mor 2's and 3's before city.

Nice RFranklin. Yeah I talked with Eddie before y'all's match yesterday morning, sounded like y'all were shooting well as always. Thang shot like a monster this weekend, slick Willie tables def help though. He had 4 or 5 BnRs and an 8 on the break after 0 BnRs last session on Wednesday nights. We were there from 9am til 11pm Sat, and then 10am til 9pm Sunday. I've never been to cities so I'm pumped. Congrats on qualifying in both 8 and 9. Seems like a lot of Fast Eddie Teams qualified as I know a Thursday night team qualified through the winner's side too.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my last post i was telling about i hoped i never faced a 2 again. well last night when i threw myself out the 4th match they dumped a 2 on me. luckily it was 8 ball. i won the lag and never looked back. won 5-0. :grin-square:

9 ball i faced a 4. won 38-30. around the 3rd rack my opponent broke and made a ball...potted another one and missed. i ran out. when i got back to our table to get some quarters it just so happened that the co captain and my g/f both asked at the same time. why did you not shoot like that last night in the tri cups against that 2 ? i said ...because that 2 never left me a friggin shot. they both started laughing. one of my other team mates said ...yea ...i was keeping score and know she hooked you 8 times and got bih 7 of them.

oh yea...my co captain who is a 7 and beat another 7 by 18-2 at tri cups sat night....well... he played a 2 last night and lost 18-2. i laughed my ass off and he just grinned sheepishly. i know he was embarrassed as hell like i was sat night. :grin-square:

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my last post i was telling about i hoped i never faced a 2 again. well last night when i threw myself out the 4th match they dumped a 2 on me. luckily it was 8 ball. i won the lag and never looked back. won 5-0. :grin-square:

9 ball i faced a 4. won 38-30. around the 3rd rack my opponent broke and made a ball...potted another one and missed. i ran out. when i got back to our table to get some quarters it just so happened that the co captain and my g/f both asked at the same time. why did you not shoot like that last night in the tri cups against that 2 ? i said ...because that 2 never left me a friggin shot. they both started laughing. one of my other team mates said ...yea ...i was keeping score and know she hooked you 8 times and got bih 7 of them.

oh yea...my co captain who is a 7 and beat another 7 by 18-2 at tri cups sat night....well... he played a 2 last night and lost 18-2. i laughed my ass off and he just grinned sheepishly. i know he was embarrassed as hell like i was sat night. :grin-square:

Luckily I haven't had to play a 2 in a long time. I look at playing a 2, like playing the ghost. It's not so much they will beat you with their skill, it's that you will lose if you make too many mistakes.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Monday night 8 ball league. Race to 7. Was down 4-6 and won the last three games for the win. Played a real gentleman. Never really found a gear after the first couple games. Got lucky my opponent make some crucial mistakes.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
NAPA last night. I needed 4 in a 7-4 10-ball race. I lost 7-3. Bit of a rant ahead...

My opponent is one of the real slow players in the league and last night, I realized why I hate slow players. It is too f***ing boring. Playing someone as slow as this guy takes all the enjoyment out of the game. In the last game, I scratched on the 4 ball and almost raked the balls because I didn't want to stand around and wait for him to run out.

It doesn't help that Wednesdays at this sports bar have gotten really dead (probably because of the worst waitress in the world) and my team takes off after they play. So I'm standing around alone, watching the snow pile up on the roads, thinking about my drive home (at least 40+ minutes in winter) while my opponent gets pissed because he missed his position by half an inch and makes air strokes from the previous position, then eventually starts measuring off the next shot... He's a great guy and great player, but he just plays toooo sloooow.

There are two weeks left in the session and I'm missing next week due to work travel. I signed up for a singles division that's starting soon. I think that if I play teams at all, I will definitely not be a captain and will make it clear that I am playing early and leaving.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i played in my scotch doubles league fri night.

i dont know if i mentioned it but here is the format.

4 player teams.

2 single 9 ball matches
2 single 8 ball matches
1 double 9 ball match
1 double 8 ball match.

the combined s.l handicap for both singles matches can not exceed 11
the combined s/l handicap for the doubles match can not exceed 10.

out team consists on the following handicaps

5/5 ...me
3/3..my g/f
7/8...good friend
3/3..his g/f.

i played both 8 and 9 singles. won 8 ball 4-1 vs a 4. lost 9 ball...needing 1 point :( vs the same 4.
my g/f and i won the 8 ball doubles vs a 4/3 team by 3/1. our 1st ever doubles win .:grin-square:

we won 8 ball 10-0 and 9 ball 35-25. sounds like we really blew them away but their best players was not there so we were a lil lucky their 6 or 5 did not show. they only had a 4 and a 3 there.

we have 8 ball scotch doubles next weekend. my g/f is ineligible due to not having enough matches in last session. it was a combo of joining a division 3 weeks into the session plus her working part time at fed ex some nights. hope we can pull it off.

got double jeapordy tonight but doubt if i will play due to needing to get some guys some playing time.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i went to my double jeapordy league last night. as i stated in my last post i sat out last night to get a few players a few more matches. my g/f thought 1 player had a lot more matches than every one else and 1 player had a lot less matches than every one else. the rest of the team was within a game or 2 of having the same amount of matches.

i explained to her that the player who had the most matches was over handicapped and i was trying to get him down 1 level so he would be more competitive.

i told her she knew the reason the other had less matches than every one else. he failed to show at play offs and tri cups. him being the best low handicap i have hurt us. now i realize that some times personal life takes priority over a pool game....it was just the fact my 65 year old player runnin around with a 25 year old goldigger looking for a sugar daddy did not seem a personal priority to me. during the tri cups he was running around taking this goldigger to grace land and beale street. then had the gall to drop by the tricups after leaving grace land to show her off before heading to beale street did not sit well with me.

i told her that with 8 players and 10 matches some did have to play twice every week. i also told her that with me trying to win matches my priority was to choose who played what match based on who the other team threw...not just pick the player who had not played yet.

so before we left home last night i looked up the stats and wrote down what 5 players had the least matches in both formats. i showed her the list and made the statement i hoped we did not get our ass kicked too bad. she replied...you dont have to go exactly by that list. i replied...that is the only way i am gonna get every one close....aint that what you was complaining about last week ?

well i stuck to that list last night.

1st 8 ball we won 2-0
next 3 matches we lost 3-0
last match we won 3-0
lost 8 ball 9-5

9 ball
my overated 5 i have complained about on here loses to a 4 by 14-6
my 7 won vs their 7 by 13-7
my best low player , a 2 ...the one with the goldigger g/f won vs a 1 by 16-4
my other 5 ...who i am trying to get down lost vs a 4 14-6
my 3 vs their 4 won 12-8.
won 9 ball 53-47

about what i expected ain 8 ball and suprised we won 9 ball. the major reason was our 2 winning 16-4 vs their 1.

after that ass whipping maybe my g/f will let me go back to trying to get us to vegas like i did before. :grin-square:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what a weekend !

played scotch doubles fri night. my g/f and i won doubles 9 ball. 2nd win a row for us ! with out looking it up i think we have a 2-10 record as partners. :embarrassed2:

i lost 9 ball singles to a 4 by 31- 34. last time we faced i won 18-2 ...dont remember exact points. every dog has his day. :D

my 7/8 dropped off the team cause we could never play partners so i picked up a 5/5 like me. we played 8 ball doubles and it was obvious he was a lil nervous having never played doubles. we lost the 1st 2 and then we gelled a lil and won the next 4 in a row in a 4-4 match.

we had scotch doubles 8 ball cities this weekend. our team had to forfeit due to one player did not have required number of matches and another could not get off work. as i stated earlier...the 7 and i can not partner up. :frown:

since i had been home off work 3 days last week i decided to get outa the house and spend the day at the pool hall sat watching the cities. stayed from 11,00 am till 10,pm.

got up sunday at 8,00 and decided to go play in a 8 ball singles qualifier held in conjunction with the cities.

when i tell my g/f my intentions she replies...her oldest son took her car to work...she was called into work sunday at 12,00 at a pool hall where she works part time. the qualifier starts at 2,00.

i look outside and its almost 50 degrees . about time for a lil warm weather after a week of snow and ice. well let me check on how its gonna be tonight.

what ? wintry mix and 19 degrees by 11,00pm . aw hell know i aint cranking up my bike.

so she drops me off at 11,30 and takes my truck to her work. i hang out and watch the cities till qualifier starts. i shoot pretty good but my opponent shoots like efren...runnin out from every where. i lose 4-1. damn put out by 2,00 and have to sit here watching cities till league starts at 7,00.

well league finally starts and i match up 9 ball with another 5. we both shot pretty good and it was 36-35 ...him on top going into the last rack.

he breaks dry leaving the 1 close to the top left corner pocket.the cue ball close to the bottom left pocket with the 2 and 9 blocking me from having a shot on the 1. i dont see any way in hell to kick at it. bound and determined not to give him bih i decide to jump. as you know jumps are alowed in apa but only with full playing cues.

i line up the shot...pow ! the cue ball sails over the 2/9 balls and smacks the 1 ball....knocking it into the corner pocket.....oh wait... the dang cue ball followed the 1 in. he gets bih with 2 easy hangers...every dog has his day. :D

we face each other in 8 ball....again his day with me losing 4-3.

we get done at 11,00 my g/f calls and wants me to come to where she is cause she dont want to drive home due to the roads are covered with ice now.

i got a ride over there and hung out till they closed at 2,00 am. gettin too old for these long weekend but did enjoy playing pool. i hate losing but can deal with it as long as i am playing good. playing bad and giving away matches is what i cant stand.

oh yea...after that jump i got both compliments and questions from the other team. seems no one here thinks jumps are allowed since no one does it but me. some say they have been playing 8 or 9 years and have never seen any one jump.i very seldom jump....i believe my kicking game is pretty accurate...especially for my skill level. i just jump as a last resort. my 1st jump attempt was last year and was succesfull. probably have only jumped 4 more times and made 2 of them also. other 2 were fouls.

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I took the plunge and started playing NAPA. I really like this league and the formats they use.

I play Lagger's Choice on Mondays. I lose the lag and he chose to break first. Our handicaps are pretty even so I chose 10 ball which is a 6-6 race. Neither one of us played that well but I won 6-2.

Last night I played NAPA 8 ball/9 ball. I play 8 ball first vs a decent player. The race is 8-4. I am crusing along and up 6-1. He then makes a nice out and makes the 8 on the break. I win the next two games more due to his mistakes than me playing well.

9 ball was a 7-3 race. I played pretty well throughout and won 7-1.

I am interested to find out where my averages in each game end up. The races are pretty tough, especially if I am having an off night.

rellek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My team just took first place for the fall/winter session in our VNEA league. I am an extremely proud captain!

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crappy night for us. We are qualified for cities and cruised in 8 ball last session, but it seems we have had a hangover since tricups. We are 3rd in a 6 team league, but prob not after this week. We lost 10-3. 9 ball we are killing it and I stayed undefeated and will prob be moving to a 6 soon as I am undefeated and averaging 15-5 wins with relatively few innings for my skill level. Real frustrating to see our 8 ball team struggle after seeing us whoop up all last session and play great in tricups. Still a long way to go. I am 3-1 in 8 as a 6 and 4-0 in 9 ball as a 5.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Final night of a loooong NAPA session (21 weeks). I won the lag and chose 10-ball. I needed 4 in a 4-3 race.

I won 4-2. My opponent didn't have any discretion when it came to the game. He took ridiculous chances on combinations to pocket the 10 early. In the two games he won, the first was a 10 on the snap, and the second was an early 2-10 carom.

My team ended the season in 3rd place which puts us in the playoffs for cash.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i played in my 9 ball scotch doubles cities today...here it is almost 2,30 in the morning and i am still wound tighter than ft knox and cant sleep. any of you get like that after shooting all day ?

i will start off with regular league this week and get to today in a lil bit.

tue night 8 apa 8 ball travel 4-4 race . it was ugly but i managed to win 4-3 with me giving him 2 games due to stupid mistakes.

fri night scotch doubles. my g/f and i won 9 ball. 3 in a row for us.after losing about 10 in a row.wow !
in my 9 ball singles i faced a 7 and won 13-7. i also faced him in 8 ball singles and lost 5-2.

now to today at cities. when i arrive there is a crowd outside smoking. when i walk up a friend of mine starts telling me that after i left doubles league last night people were talking about me and complaining about my handicap. he said he was standing there when one of them called the lo last night complaining. i just started laughing and right away i figured out it was the 7 that lost to me last night.

i never even bothered asking my friend who was complaining. i just chalked it up to him being a sore loser. what is so hilarious about him complaining is i lost to his daughter in law a few weeks ago in 9 ball tri cups....she is a friggin 2 ! he was scorekeeping that day and knew she kicked my ass . i never heard of him complaining i was over handicapped then but now i beat him and he wants to complain i am under handicapped ?

any body with half a brain knows you aint gonna lose to a friggin 2 in the last match of the tri cups causing your team to get put out of the tournament to keep your handicap down and then a few weeks later kick a 7's ass in a regular session game that dont mean nothing.

well on to todays matches.

1st round my 3 vs their 3 in singles. we lost 12-8
doubles my g/f and i won 12-.8
2nd singles i won 13-7 vs another 5

2nd round
me vs their 6 i win 16- 4 in 1st singles
my g/f and i lost doubles 16-4
2nd singles my 3 lost 12-8 vs their 5.

3rd round.
1st singles my 3 lost 12-8 vs their 3
my g/f and i won doubles 12-8
2nd singles i won 12-8 vs a 6

4th round.
my 3 went down to a 2...she promptly puts an 18-2 ass whipping on a 3 ????
my g/f and i lost doubles 13-7
2nd singles i win vs a 4...match stopped when i reached only 30 points cause they could not catch us.

i am really surprised my team has made it this deep so far. we only have me " a 5 " a 3 and a 2. tom in the quarter finals we will face our 2nd toughest team that has a 6...a 5... and 2 4's. our only loss was to a team with a 6...2-5/s and a 4. i dont think we have a chance in hell of getting past this next team unless our 8 shows up.

if we get past this next team all the remaining teams do not have more than 1-5 on them and i like our chances then.

Last edited:

Banks

Banned
Played a bit like a dog at times over the weekend, but still managed to keep my winning streak alive this session.. which will probably jinx me tonight by saying that. Also got the singles spot for Vegas, so I'll get to enjoy a full room to myself and see the riv one more time before it's kaput.

In the singles, we had 7 people in my bracket, including myself. Three didn't even show. Also saw that i was the second worst rated out of the group. No respect! :grin: Bracket worked out so that i ended up playing all three opponents.

Got bca regionals next week and the pros playing this Friday, i think. May go watch them, not sure if i want to do that much driving, but i probably will. Hoping to do well enough to get out of the novice division this time around. :thumbup:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lost my match, last Wednesday, to a SL5. I gave up BIH 8 times. I couldn't get used to the table speed at all.

Played in the NOLA APA City Cup this past Saturday. Our team won the first round 51-9, so I didn't have to play. I started off the second round beating another SL6, 46-43 IIRC, giving us a 12-8 win. Our team went on to lose 49-51, so we didn't qualify for Regionals.

Our SL3 was bumped to a SL4 at City Cup, so our team is really screwed now.

We have (3) SL6, (2) SL5, & (3) SL4. We're either going to have to get rid of some players or I'll be looking for another team. We can only play 6,5,4,4,4 to meet the 23 rule. That leaves two 6's and a 5 sitting out every week.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
continuation from above post concerning cities

after a restless night where i got about a total of 4 hours sleep my g/f and i start getting ready to head to the cities. i get a txt from my other player , the 3 who went down to a 2 , and i found out when i get to cities she went back up to a 3 lol. the txt said there were problems at her work and she was called in. i thought ...oh great ...just what i needed to hear since she is the better player between her and my g/f who is also a 3.

i thought we might as well stay home since i did not think we had a chance in hell with just the 2 of us and i said as much to my g/f. she replied...you dont think we can beat them ? i said i knew i could take any one on that team in singles but it was the doubles and other single where we did not have a chance. she replied.. well if you are that sure of your self that means we have a chance so lets go see what happens.

well i win the flip and i always like to throw 1st but in this case i thought i need to make them throw 1st. i was leery of them jumping on my g/f with their 6 if i threw her 1st or saving him for the last singles if i went 1st. they threw their 6 and i threw me. i won 38-32 for a 16-4 score iirc....all i cared about was that i had won.:D

we only had my g/f and me so i threw us for the doubles.:grin: they counter with their 5/4 combo. we won and again i did not worry about remembering the score...just the fact we won is all i cared about. they threw their 5 for the last singles and i threw my g/f...the only player there besides me. :grin:

my g/f is sitting there calculating the needed points for the last singles. as i sit down to keep score of her match she states that she only needs 10 points for us to lock up this match. normally it would be a 25-38 race but we were that far ahead of them . she won 10-23. wow !

so now we are in the final 4...wow !

our next match is vs 2-4's and 2-2's. i of the 4's is pretty darn good and fluctuates between a 4 and a 5...wish he was a 5 in this match lol.

again i win the toss and make them throw 1st so i can keep my g/f away from their 4's. they throw a 2 and i throw my g/f. the 2 wins 12-8...damn i wish i could have throwed my 3 who had to work.

so they throw their 2-4's against us in the doubles. well they played like 5's and won 12-8. every one was telling me i was playing like a 6 all weekend so i guess it all evens out in the wash :grin-square:

they throw their best 4...the one who fluctuates between 4/5. my g/f calculates up that if i hold him to 11 points we win. i thought damn thats a tall order against him...i knew i could hold their other 4 to that .

going into the 4th rack i am up 25-3...i made a couple of early 9 combos. i break and make a ball but i dont have a shot at the 1...i attempt to kick it into a side pocket and rattle it...he runs the table and gets his needed 12 points.....damn ! they go to the finals and face the 1st team we had faced sat and had beat. damn !

well as we were packing up and paying the tab etc just about every one there came up and complimented us on our playing and for getting so far in this tournament....we were the known underdogs in this thing.:grin-square:

my lo came up and complimented me on my great playing and that he was impressed with our team knocking out some pretty strong teams. he also said that my current team would be a pretty strong team if in the cities next year if we stayed together. i just picked up a 5 who was ineligible for this is just as good as me but does not quite have that strong gear i do for cities. he usually beats me when we face his team on sunday nights.

we got in the truck and my body was telling me to head home but my head told me to head to sunday night league since i was the captain.

more on that later...this post is too long as it is.:eek:

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I took the plunge and started playing NAPA. I really like this league and the formats they use.

I play Lagger's Choice on Mondays. I lose the lag and he chose to break first. Our handicaps are pretty even so I chose 10 ball which is a 6-6 race. Neither one of us played that well but I won 6-2.

Last night I played NAPA 8 ball/9 ball. I play 8 ball first vs a decent player. The race is 8-4. I am crusing along and up 6-1. He then makes a nice out and makes the 8 on the break. I win the next two games more due to his mistakes than me playing well.

9 ball was a 7-3 race. I played pretty well throughout and won 7-1.

I am interested to find out where my averages in each game end up. The races are pretty tough, especially if I am having an off night.

i think napa is the best league out there.

the amount of stats they provide is unbeleivable.

one unique feature is the ability to fore cast a match with any other league player based on your and your opponents current stats.

here is an example . you click on the persons name you wish to compare to.

it will give you every stat under the sun almost.

which player wins the most lags
which player has the most break and runs
which player has the most 8..9.. or 10 on the breaks.
and plenty more besides that.
from there it determines which of you is most likely to win a matchup.

it also gives you your history vs other players. say you played joe average 8 times ...click of the button tells you who won the most matches.

unbeleivable the number of stats theey provide.

most fair handicapping and races to boot on top of that.

just wish they would get their crap together concerning nationals.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just had an interesting conversation with my apa lo via txt. i hope i am not reading too much between the lines here but one statement he made kinda sticks out. get to that in a sec.

the crux of the conversation was him congratulating my team on our 3rd place finish in the scotch doubles cities. i mentioned i played a lot better than i did in tri cups a few weeks ago, where i lost to a 2 and a 3.

here is his reply...i noticed you playing a lot better...not sure what it was that made that happen. normally this statement would go right over my head but..i was told several people were complaining about my handicap...granted i played pretty darn good this weekend going undefeated and held every 6 i played to less points than i made as a 5.

i replied the main reason i played so well was the fact that my shooting hand felt great this weekend. i told him its hard to play your best when you are usually in constant pain.

he replied he was sure that makes a big difference. i hope he thinks i have not been sand bagging....if my lo thinks you are sand bagging he will raise you so fast it will make your head spin. he once raised a 4 to a 6 after watching him play 1 rack. he raised a 5 to a 7 after his 3rd match being a new player.

now i would be quite happy to be raised if i earned it and could consistently play at that level..be nice to get out of " banger " status.:grin: i think i have a great relationship with my lo ...matter of fact we play on an 8 ball travel team together.it would really bother me for him to think i was a sand bagger.

maybe i am reading too much into his remarks after hearing people were complaining about me.

gotta warn ya;ll ...if he does raise me i am gonna be on here bragging. :grin-square:

Last edited: