Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page 8 Ball, What Do You Do?
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
dfweyer
Play it safe...
dfweyer has a reputation beyond reputedfweyer has a reputation beyond reputedfweyer has a reputation beyond reputedfweyer has a reputation beyond reputedfweyer has a reputation beyond reputedfweyer has a reputation beyond reputedfweyer has a reputation beyond reputedfweyer has a reputation beyond reputedfweyer has a reputation beyond reputedfweyer has a reputation beyond reputedfweyer has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 420

11-22-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mristea View Post
Thank you buddy, I will check her out, I'm curious to see how talented she is :-)
Just google topless Wii bowling...

DB Dan
| 8 Ball Run | @iWeyer |

Every day I wake up wiser!

Old
  (#17)
Bambu
Dave Manasseri
Bambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond reputeBambu has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-22-2011, 07:36 AM

Id go for the cut too, upper right corner. Still have a chance to block that pocket if I miss, and also a chance of leaving him long and away from his side pocket(cue ball upper left pocket area).

Old
  (#18)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

11-22-2011, 08:54 AM

Last edited by Neil; 07-04-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Old
  (#19)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

11-22-2011, 08:56 AM

Re edited 2:44PM

Cut it in one of the corner pockets, with inside english, and at worst try and hang the 8 and leave cue ball on head rail same side of table as the 3 ball by the corner pocket.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Last edited by Island Drive; 11-22-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Old
  (#20)
sfleinen
14.1 & One Pocket Addict
sfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

11-22-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
1/2 ball hit, cb and ob should go same distance. Block the pocket, and dare him on the bank shot, or make him play safe and move his 3 from in front of the pocket.

CueTable Help

Nice one, Neil. The half-ball hit works well when the cue ball and the object ball are the same size, weight, and makeup/mass. But this shot does have one caveat -- it won't work on a Valley barbox with a heavy cue ball (e.g. a Dynamo table). A half-ball hit between two objects of different mass results in the heavier object (the cue ball) retaining more of the energy and traveling further. You'll need to experiment with this shot to get how much of a hit you need to kill that cue ball and have both balls end up the same distance from the cushion with the opponent's ball in-between -- which will be a fuller hit than a half-ball hit. Hit this one wrong on a Valley/Dynamo with a heavy cue ball, and it's a complete sell-out for the opponent to shoot his ball into the corner, with natural position on the 8-ball.

I personally like the cut in the corner, only because I practice that shot -- for One Pocket -- and I don't fear it.

-Sean

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." -Isaac Asimov

"They haven't got brains, any of them, only grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake, and they don't think." -Eeyore, The House at Pooh Corner

Old
  (#21)
BluesTele
AzB Silver Member
BluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond reputeBluesTele has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 300

11-22-2011, 10:05 AM

dfweyer - My attempts...

very nice !

Old
  (#22)
purpdrag
AzB Silver Member
purpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200

11-22-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfweyer View Post
How many times out of 10 do you think you could follow the 3 ball into the side instead!
I think I could make that 2 or 3 times out of ten, almost as good as cutting it into one of the corners, which I would guess I would make 4 or 5 out of ten.

It's interesting that one of my mentors of the game, who is still better than me claims that that follow shot will almost never go and he would never try it. He questioned me once after going for that type of shot when the opponents object ball was right in front of the pocket. I missed in that case, but normally could make that one more than half the time, plus even on the miss, now my ball is blocking the pocket instead of his.

He didn't even have the concept of hitting it fairly softly with draw on the cue to impart follow on my object ball.

Old
  (#23)
purpdrag
AzB Silver Member
purpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond reputepurpdrag has a reputation beyond repute

11-22-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfweyer View Post
This shot is on one of the cards in the Monks deck of pool shot cards. With a little bit of practice I was making this 50% of the time. You've exaggerated the lines a bit in this drawing though. It never gets that far away from the side pockets. Also, as someone else pointed out, I wouldn't want to try this on an unfamiliar table without being able to practice it 5 or 10 times first.

Old
  (#24)
purpdrag
AzB Silver Member

11-22-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
1/2 ball hit, cb and ob should go same distance. Block the pocket, and dare him on the bank shot, or make him play safe and move his 3 from in front of the pocket.

CueTable Help

For me, this is a low percentage shot. I tend to hit it a bit too hard, so the 8 would not be blocking the pocket. If I try too hard to NOT hit it too hard I end up decelerating through the cue ball and may even give up ball in hand because nothing reaches a rail.

I'm still working on getting my stroke to be able to hit softly with good follow through and speed control.

Old
  (#25)
Aaron_S
AzB Silver Member
Aaron_S has a reputation beyond reputeAaron_S has a reputation beyond reputeAaron_S has a reputation beyond reputeAaron_S has a reputation beyond reputeAaron_S has a reputation beyond reputeAaron_S has a reputation beyond reputeAaron_S has a reputation beyond reputeAaron_S has a reputation beyond reputeAaron_S has a reputation beyond reputeAaron_S has a reputation beyond reputeAaron_S has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 400

11-22-2011, 11:23 AM

In cases like this, I'm not going to go for an all-out safety when there is no true safety (meaning a hook that could result in BIH) to be had. A safety battle that begins with you leaving your opponent a full ball to hit is very likely to end in his favor, so I would instead look for a two way shot. These three shots offer a chance to win the game, and the first two also offer a chance to cover the easiest pocket for his 8-ball in the case of a miss. While the third one (low outside) doesn't offer a chance to cover his pocket, it does offer a slim chance of hooking or jacking him up with the 8-ball. I am probably taking shot number 2 - cutting at the ball with inside.

CueTable Help

Aaron

"The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary." -- Vince Lombardi

Last edited by Aaron_S; 11-22-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Old
  (#26)
NewStroke
Screamin Monkey
NewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond repute

11-22-2011, 01:28 PM

Here's a dangerous attempt. Shoot the 8 into the 3 cheating the side pocket. Drop the 3 and leave the 8 ball against the rail near the pocket. If you play a stop shot and leave the 8 correctly, your opponent should have a tough shot on the 8. Just a thought.

Old
  (#27)
NewStroke
Screamin Monkey
NewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond repute

11-22-2011, 01:30 PM

You could also miss the 3 leaving it on the rail but soft enought to leave the 8 on the rail turning the safety 90 back to him.

Old
  (#28)
Ratta
Hearing the balls.....
Ratta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2000
 Send a message via ICQ to Ratta Send a message via MSN to Ratta  
11-22-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:

CueTable Help

! hit the nail like allways^^ best and most simple choice in my opinion, too.

lg
Ingo

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother."......Albert Einstein
________

"Advanced PBIA Instructor and proud member of the SPF Family"

Old
  (#29)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

11-22-2011, 02:35 PM

Last edited by Neil; 07-04-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Old
  (#30)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

11-22-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStroke View Post
Here's a dangerous attempt. Shoot the 8 into the 3 cheating the side pocket. Drop the 3 and leave the 8 ball against the rail near the pocket. If you play a stop shot and leave the 8 correctly, your opponent should have a tough shot on the 8. Just a thought.
That was my first thought but I wanted someone else to post it first. Instead of stopping the cue ball I would roll forward a little to make the cross side reverse bank tougher.

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: