8 Ball End Game Two-way Shot

dfweyer

Play it safe...
Silver Member
In response to mnorwood on the End game 8 ball safeties, I suggest going for the win with "safety speed". Normally I would hit a bank of the 8 ball in the side hard...but I guess if it is a lower percentage shot you could hit it softer and try to leave the cueball on the end rail and go for an extra half bank should you miss.

v6TdA.png

Same thing for banking in the corner, if you short the pocket you get a better safety than if you bank it 'long'

7w2H6.png

The bank in the corner is a little more tricky to get a safety...but you could luck out if you aren't confident on the long bankshot

mVeiz.png

Thoughts?

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
Hey great video!!! Add it as a video response to the one I posted on youtube. I will post a link to this thread in my video description.

Thanks for the video,
Marcus

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
On the first shot, I don't think it is low percentage enough to warrant playing it 2 way, just play it to make it.

On the second shot I would probably play a full safe banking the 8 ball directly to the middle of the short rail with the cue ball going zig-zag to the opposite rail. The bank rarely goes in and at that angle, and the 8 ball often bounces off the short rail to leave a cut or the cue ball doesn't get enough separation and you end up leaving an easy return safe.

On the 3rd shot, I would play it with a touch of inside to kill the cue ball leaving it on the long rail above the side pocket with the 8 going just like how you diagrammed it, except hopefully a little bit farther up the rail.

Last edited:

dfweyer

Play it safe...
Silver Member
On the first shot, I don't think it is low percentage enough to warrant playing it 2 way, just play it to make it.

The first shot is a pretty standard shot, I often find myself getting shape for a bank in the side instead of going for a risky breakout...especially if I am running out of solids/stripes!

I'm sure you could consider these shots for 9 ball or 10 ball (only ball left on table) as well.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
Some of these safety shots are ridiculous. Unless the angle is truly off to prevent a reasonable bank, meaning it's trickshot tough...it takes more skill and precision in angle, hit and speed control to execute the safety perfectly than try and bank the ball. If you can guarantee you miss the pocket by 1" and control the CB speed to 1/4 diamond, you have the skill that you can just bank the ball with reasonable chance of success.

Should practice off angle banks. It can really pay off. A lot can be done with speed, angle and english to make banks that aren't "on" ...It's not easy, but it's worthwhile to go for. I don't know what kind of competition you are up against. Some of the people I play, merely allowing them to see the 8 ball is just about selling out. They are going to bury it. This puts the pressure on, and limits my options to play passive or defensive shots. Defense is redefined when playing good players. Depends on who you are playing. Against weak players, you can easily capitalize letting them shoot long banks and selling out to you. But good players will either stick you back and worse, or just sink the 8 with a good bank or a thin cut. If you are playing 8 ball against players who do dumb things on the table, and you win by them constantly blundering and selling out - you ought to consider playing better players.

I was told and taught, that when the safety and the shot are roughly the same difficulty or odds - always go for the shot.

I don't mean to sound so abrasive, but when up against semi-pro level players...it's just bad form to give up the table - ever. Especially in an 8-ball endgame where there's no true safe (hooking them).

dfweyer

Play it safe...
Silver Member
Especially in an 8-ball endgame where there's no true safe (hooking them).

I agree, would much rather lose a game that I "tried" to win. Selling out on a botched safety is the worst way to lose...besides scratching on a made 8 ball.