How far can you break?

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
pj

See what happens when you ban Patrick Johnson?

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

Did pj get banned ?? :confused:

What fer ? (I think I mighta-kinda miss him in some weird way) :shrug:

Btw: as ridiculous as this thread is , 80m is about 250 ft.

Last edited:

Perk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was a kid we used to drive golf balls across a frozen pond in the winter time. It was amazing how far you could hit a ball.....

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Im serious, I wonder how far it will roll. It can probaby be calculated but I dont know the math (or the physics) to do it.

My guess is that I'll make 100m.

Well, seeing that a meter is about 39" long, a 100m would be over a hundred and ten yards, would it even matter because the cue ball would be going so slow by then, that 4 balls would not hit a rail ....;)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how high would a pool ball bounce, if thrown onto the paved parking lot surface and a 9' table that is only 8.33' long Simonis deflection?

Figure that.

dfweyer

Play it safe...
Silver Member
While the cue ball is skidding (sliding fricition) I agree that the friction is around 0.2.

Assuming that the cueball results in a rolling speed of 20mph ~ 9 m/s, the coefficient of rolling resistance would be in the 0.005 - 0.015 range.

Not sure that a 20mph rolling speed could be reached though since that would result in an angular velocity of over 300 radians/second (50 rotations per second)

Note: I have probably chased the cueball over 100 feet (30 m) a couple times on high traffic carpet.:cool:

EDIT: Curvature of the earth has not been taken into account!

Here are my calculations ....

Using metric;

Cue ball weight = 5.5 oz = 0.156 kg
Friction = 0.2 (typical, could be a bit lower for 760, etc.)
Break speed = 30 mph = 13.41 m/s

KE = 0.5*W*Speed*Speed
KE = 0.5*0.156*13.41*13.41
KE = 14.02 J

Fn = Friction * Mass * Acceleration
Fn = 0.2 * 0.156 * 9.81
Fn = 0.306072

Distance = KE / Fn
Distance = 14.02 / 0.306072
Distance = 45.81 Meters

Which seems about right .... half a football field till it would stop rolling when hit at 30 mph assuming a coefficient of friction of 0.2

Last edited:

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While the cue ball is skidding (sliding fricition) I agree that the friction is around 0.2.

Assuming that the cueball results in a rolling speed of 20mph ~ 9 m/s, the coefficient of rolling resistance would be in the 0.005 - 0.015 range.

Not sure that a 20mph rolling speed could be reached though since that would result in an angular velocity of over 300 radians/second (50 rotations per second)

Note: I have probably chased the cueball over 100 feet (30 m) a couple times on high traffic carpet.:cool:

EDIT: Curvature of the earth has not been taken into account!

Seems like you looked at the same page as I did for the resistance...

In the case of a cue ball, I think most of its momentum will be dissipated by the sliding resistance and the rolling resistance will only come into play when the ball's rotation can "catch up" with it actual speed. (if that makes sense?)

My guess would be in the 70-80 meter range if hit on a football sized table of 860 cloth.

kolaas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for calculating all that!

Ill send the question to drDave as well. I think he'll enjoy something like this too.

kolaas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DrDave answered the email:

I calculate about 920 meters (about 3000 feet) for a CB rolling at 30mph (typical max speed break) and not hitting any balls or rails. For a center-ball hit, there would be drag before rolling sets in and the distance would be less. FYI, calculations for this sort of thing can be done with the equations here: http://billiards.colostate.edu/technical_proofs/new/TP_B-6.pdf

TP B.6 - Cue ball table lengths of travel for different speeds, accounting for rail rebound and drag losses

I tried to caculate this too, using the formule, but I get crazy results. I must be doing something wrong. In any case.. itll go much much further than we all expected!

DWoods6354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how far

Way back in the day, Celebrity Lanes in Denver used to have a billiard "putt putt" course.

I was a bit younger then but I remember one "hole" that had a long straight lane to a 90 degree turn. To make the corner you kinda had to hit a lot of english and barely miss the far point, banking off the long rail back into the short. It must have been a 30 foot shot or so.... (if memory serves).

I clearly remember shooting up and backs to test my stroke and hit on center ball. I could often "hit the lane" by shooting a double bank - and having to ease up, not using full break speed.

That would be 120 feet or so...... if my memory is anywhere close on the table size.

Yes, the rails killed the roll.... not so much the distance. But I would seriously doubt the possibility of a multiple-hundred yard stroke on the same cloth they were using..... at least on a level surface....

kolaas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
920m seems like an awefull lot to me too. Dr Dave said it lose some distance due to friction when its sliding.

On the other side: 30mph = 48km/h = 13,3 m/s

So in the first second it has travelled 13m already!
Ofcourse speed will decrease afterwards, but a cueball can roll for a long time.