Best Calcutta deal you've heard of

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Curious what the lowest price someone has gone for (not someone sneaking in preferably) and gone on to reap a nice payday.

$20 player winning 1k etc.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious what the lowest price someone has gone for (not someone sneaking in preferably) and gone on to reap a nice payday.

$20 player winning 1k etc.

Best deal is the Jeanette Lee deal.

She doesn't buy her half until she is in the final 4. Worshipped by many and I think she is an incredible nit.

Ken

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
know a guy who cashed 3 times at a $40, $50, and $85 spent. Brought himself all 3 times and earned $2800 on his $175.

Not a bad return for a high c player.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I bought a player who came in 4th and the guy who won a local big 9-ball tournament in Gardner, MA for $5 each. My memory is faulty, but the calcutta paid out 1st-4th, with first being over $300. 60:1 on the money.

Freddie <~~~ the guy

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane Mcminn only sold for $100 in the Big Tyme Classic One Pocket Event few days ago.

He ended up getting 2nd place = $2,200 payout.

Ray was the one calling the Calcutta and he was the one who started the bid on Shane at 100 and nobody else bid.

But Ray decided to let Shane buy all himself and not keep half :banghead::banghead:

Jeff_Gallaher

Registered
I bought XXX XXXXX (Custom Cue Maker) for $30 2 weeks ago in a tourney. He got 3rd and the Calcutta paid $1380. He got half of himself but it was the best deal I have ever gotten. I didn't even know him at the time but I wasn't letting him buy himself for $20 after driving 5-6 hours to an event.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I bought a 19 year old kid in a big tournament (for Canada)...
...I’d been watching him for months working on his attitude...he was a hot-head.
I thought he was ready...paid $60....he won...I got $1,700....
...gave the kid half.

Most of the top Canucks were in it....plus Hatch and Nevel

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only Calcutta I ever got in...no one knew how I played,
And there weren’t any bids on me so I was going to get
Myself for $5.... someone said no one goes for $5 and
He took me for $10... I took half..won the tournament, and
My half was over $200......... was the best I ever played.

Would have been nicer if I could have got myself........
Found out years later the owner put me in his ‘book’
As a AA after that tourney. (I am not)

Td

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got 3:

1. Single ticket for big rack, $5. Ran rack of 10b that had a couple harrigans for $780 (or $980, don't recall)
B- bought Calcutta self for $5 and got $365 for 3rd or 4th.
#2: went for 10 in Calcutta and won, 1k for the win and 1k for Calcutta.

Attachments

• IMG_2423.JPG
    IMG_2423.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 514

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well..

How bout 20 bucks and taking 1st place with all the Calcutta in a 64 entry tourney. About $3,750.00 if memory serves me. I think I could of got it for 5 bucks as no one bid on me.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Cheng Yu-Hsuan 1st started playing some events here in the states , they snuck him in under the radar at The Side Pocket Open in Shreveport under the name Kevin from Houston.

Nobody knew who he was or at least the big bidders didn't :eek:

He sold for only a couple of $100 when other top players sold for 1000's.

He snapped off the event and 15k in Calcutta money :shocked2:

Two weeks later they tried to do the same thing at the biggest Calcuuta in all of pool at The White Diamond event.

When he went up for bid, the auctioneer Chris Miller, said this is Kevin from Houston and i call Bull Sh*t lol

He said, if this guy is from Houston i am from China :rotflmao1:

Cheng ended up selling for $6,000 :smile:

Cheng went on to win The White Diamond event and 40K in calcutta money :clapping:

Kevin from Houston days of sneaking in under the Radar are long gone now

12188996_1078566232162665_4168225778650967725_n.jpg

Last edited:

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought Bill Dunsmore in the NYS 14.1 tournament in the 80s for $20. Nobody knew who he was. I used to watch him play Mike Zuglan 100 point games in Albany every week. Many times I saw him run 100 and out. He had no trouble winning the tournament. I forgot what it paid, but naturally Bill bought 1/2 of himself.
Another time he came to Binghamton and played in the NYS 8 ball tournament. We both finished 5th & 6th and a guy from Buffalo challenged him to some 9 ball at $50 a rack. The guy from Buffalo had a backer and he told me "Your buddy doesn't know who he's playing. That's Johnny Archer's cousin." I told him "He'd better shoot like Archer, because that's the Chicken Man he's playing." Bill beat him every rack until he had lost about $500.

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
Circa 1991. I was dating a girl at U of Illinois and I heard about this tourney on saturday just down the road in Charleston,IL at Styx. Don Yost's place. Dave Miller was the tournament director. I think it was about a 40 or 50 dollar entry. Dave asks what my hcp is in his tourneys. I say this is my first time here and that I'm an APA 6 which I was at the time. He says fine. Not one person in the room knew me and I didn't know anyone but a kid from my home room that came up from SIU to play in the tourney. He knew I played decent but nothing special and he was broke so no one bids on me and i get myself for $10. Come sunday morning they have another calcutta for the final 32 players and I'm in the final 8 undefeated and still no one bids one me. Long story short, after a few guys piddle down their leg against me, I'm in the finals against one of the good guys from ST,Louis. Everything goes my way ( and I mean EVERYTHING) and I win. $1788 first calcutta, $790 second and $800 tourney. I thought pool would be easy money at that point. Not so much. :smile: