Odd preshot?

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I normally chalk with my right hand, too, and I'm right handed.

Same here, I’ve always chalked like that,
keeps the bridge hand and shaft cleaner.

Earl, Keith and many others do it that way.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
"Inefficient" chalking???? Seriously? C'mon man.

My chalking style uses no extra movements...and the Irish linen stays cleaner.
...if this was the 1800s, I’d be the fastest gun in the West....:D

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am guessing for right handers, linear work like chalking is usually done by right hand (left brain) so if we do a poll, most right handers would chalk with right hand.
I just realised that pros actually chalk after every shot and that is weird since I chalk every 2 to 3 games :D

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As to why right handers hold the stick in our right hand, I would think has to do with your eye dominance for the most part. While some right handers are left eye dominate, its not the norm. Just my thoughts.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe this style of chalking was somewhat common amongst the old timers.

I know Allen Hopkins does it that way religiously. As to why, other than pure habit, I believe it has something to do with getting your grip in a certain position and attitude when you switch hands. I know some will poo-poo this theory but some might get why it may be true.

Lou Figueroa

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my favorite players is in this video

https://youtu.be/AZhLMsjXByQ?t=134

Watch as he holds his stick in his left hand and chalks with his right, then switches to shoot right handed.

Normally we hold the cue in our non bridge hand and chalk with our bridge hand.

Wondered if anyone thought it was odd.
No, normally we don't do it that way. I've always held with the left and chalked with the right then switched to shoot. Many players chalk with their dominant hand.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for me, chalking with the bridge hand makes the shaft and bridge hand dirtier sooner. i also find it easier to avoid the drill hole in the chalk this way

i think a high percentage of pro players chalk opposite handed actually, and among snooker players almost all of them. mike dechaine is a funky chalker, i don't know what he does with that chalk but it looks funny
It does look apish. Whatever gets it done.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm right-handed and have always chalked with my right hand because I'm not coordinated enough to chalk with my left. I never thought it was unusual until someone mentioned this about Deschaine a couple years ago.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe this style of chalking was somewhat common amongst the old timers.

I know Allen Hopkins does it that way religiously. As to why, other than pure habit, I believe it has something to do with getting your grip in a certain position and attitude when you switch hands. I know some will poo-poo this theory but some might get why it may be true.

Lou Figueroa

Lou, the "removing" and "repositioning" of the grip hand is part of my PSR.

I started to mention that in my OP but didn't cause it sounds crazy but, it absolutely spot on.

Jeff

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I am guessing for right handers, linear work like chalking is usually done by right hand (left brain) so if we do a poll, most right handers would chalk with right hand.
I just realised that pros actually chalk after every shot and that is weird since I chalk every 2 to 3 games :D
For me it just takes the least movement/interruption to chalk with my bridge hand and not move the cue from hand to hand. I get the chalk on the shaft thing, but it's how I've done it for *cough* years, so changing now would be traumatic.

pj
chgo

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
For me it just takes the least movement/interruption to chalk with my bridge hand and not move the cue from hand to hand. I get the chalk on the shaft thing, but it's how I've done it for *cough* years, so changing now would be traumatic.

pj
chgo

Economy of movement, though I walk around the table sometimes like a fiend. Burning up any energy saved by my logical chalking. Now that I think though, I am left handed but shoot right handed, so it works out perfect for chalking with my more competent and dexterous bridge hand.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I chalk the same way.

IMO, it's smarter to chalk with your grip hand instead of using your bridge hand and having chalk transfer to the shaft.

I've always assumed most people did this.

I chalk with grip hand holding cue stick 45%.