AzBilliards.com  
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Loose Simonis
Old
  (#1)
pocket
AzB Silver Member
pocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,804
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Southern California
   
Loose Simonis - 11-11-2014, 01:11 PM

Recently I have found that the cloth on my table is somewhat loose. Enough that I can create a small 'ripple' effect if I slide my finger in one direct on the table.

The weather in SoCal has been bizzare rotating between hot/dry, hot/humid, cold, hot, raining etc for the past few weeks.

Is it possible this is why the cloth is loose?

Will humidity loosen or shrink the cloth?

Will I need a mechanic to re stretch the cloth or is there something else I can do?

9' table, cloth stapled. Table in garage.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#2)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute
 
realkingcobra's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 17,493
vCash: 5785
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: On the road everywhere.
   
11-11-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket View Post
Recently I have found that the cloth on my table is somewhat loose. Enough that I can create a small 'ripple' effect if I slide my finger in one direct on the table.

The weather in SoCal has been bizzare rotating between hot/dry, hot/humid, cold, hot, raining etc for the past few weeks.

Is it possible this is why the cloth is loose?

Will humidity loosen or shrink the cloth?

Will I need a mechanic to re stretch the cloth or is there something else I can do?

9' table, cloth stapled. Table in garage.
Head to foot, or side to side?
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
Crash
Pool Hall Owner
Crash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond repute
 
Crash's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
   
11-12-2014, 09:07 AM

I'm not a mechanic ... but I can testify that humidity is the secondary culprit and just shows how good a recover was performed. With staples you shouldn't have had a problem if pulled tight enough.

I own all Valleys that use adhesive to hold the cloth. I've found that cloth installed when humid will tighten up when dry to the point of pulling improperly glued cloth loose. I'm experiencing that now and the man is making his 4th trip to fix my 7-foot tables in 7 months (Simonis 860 and 3M77 spray). Previously when Tour Edition was installed while dry, it loosened enough to cause folds to appear where pulled uneven (different man). I had to turn AC down to dry the air out and pull it tight enough to play on. I did my 8-footers using 3M10 and no problems. The current man used 3M10 on my 8-footers and no problems. I wish I could staple the bed cloth on Valleys.

Again ... I'm not a mechanic.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute
 
realkingcobra's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 17,493
vCash: 5785
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: On the road everywhere.
   
11-12-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I'm not a mechanic ... but I can testify that humidity is the secondary culprit and just shows how good a recover was performed. With staples you shouldn't have had a problem if pulled tight enough.

I own all Valleys that use adhesive to hold the cloth. I've found that cloth installed when humid will tighten up when dry to the point of pulling improperly glued cloth loose. I'm experiencing that now and the man is making his 4th trip to fix my 7-foot tables in 7 months (Simonis 860 and 3M77 spray). Previously when Tour Edition was installed while dry, it loosened enough to cause folds to appear where pulled uneven (different man). I had to turn AC down to dry the air out and pull it tight enough to play on. I did my 8-footers using 3M10 and no problems. The current man used 3M10 on my 8-footers and no problems. I wish I could staple the bed cloth on Valleys.

Again ... I'm not a mechanic.
If I were to install the cloth on your tables, the only time it would come loose....is when it's being taken off....LOL
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute
 
realkingcobra's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 17,493
vCash: 5785
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: On the road everywhere.
   
11-12-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Head to foot, or side to side?
Still waiting for an answer.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
pocket
AzB Silver Member
pocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,804
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Southern California
   
11-12-2014, 12:05 PM

Both actually, but I think more side to side.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute
 
realkingcobra's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 17,493
vCash: 5785
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: On the road everywhere.
   
11-12-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket View Post
Both actually, but I think more side to side.
Then the cloth was for sure installed loose to begin with, my bed cloths never loosen up unless you flat out get them wet.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
pocket
AzB Silver Member
pocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,804
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Southern California
   
11-12-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Then the cloth was for sure installed loose to begin with, my bed cloths never loosen up unless you flat out get them wet.
"loose to begin with", are you saying it's been like this since installation? I can definitely refute that. It has been a recent development. I surely would have noticed if it was this way from the get go.

Or are you saying that it was installed improperly and has loosened.

It has definitely not gotten wet.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute
 
realkingcobra's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 17,493
vCash: 5785
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: On the road everywhere.
   
11-12-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket View Post
"loose to begin with", are you saying it's been like this since installation? I can definitely refute that. It has been a recent development. I surely would have noticed if it was this way from the get go.

Or are you saying that it was installed improperly and has loosened.

It has definitely not gotten wet.
Loose as in not installed tight enough to begin with, as all cloth will loosen up just a bit from the initial install, but if it was installed correctly the first time, even relaxing just a bit would still not allow you to create any kind of wrinkles at all. Are you using any kind of spray cloth cleaner?
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
pocket
AzB Silver Member
pocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,804
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Southern California
   
11-12-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Loose as in not installed tight enough to begin with, as all cloth will loosen up just a bit from the initial install, but if it was installed correctly the first time, even relaxing just a bit would still not allow you to create any kind of wrinkles at all. Are you using any kind of spray cloth cleaner?
No spray cloth cleaner. Out of curiosity, is that not recommended?

Does this mean I need to have the cloth re attached?
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
Crash
Pool Hall Owner
Crash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond repute
 
Crash's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
   
11-12-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
If I were to install the cloth on your tables, the only time it would come loose....is when it's being taken off....LOL
To my guys credit he is reworking all of my tables as I type ... using 3M10. I appreciate the fact that he tried something new to get them to play better. He gambled and sorta lost using spray but I don't fault him for trying.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute
 
realkingcobra's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 17,493
vCash: 5785
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: On the road everywhere.
   
11-12-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
To my guys credit he is reworking all of my tables as I type ... using 3M10. I appreciate the fact that he tried something new to get them to play better. He gambled and sorta lost using spray but I don't fault him for trying.
Spray 77 is the old method, FB 10 is the method I pioneered 30 years ago because it never fails. Just make sure all the spray glue is cleaned off first, or the FB 10 will glue to the spray glue, then pull the spray glue off and come loose.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
pocket
AzB Silver Member
pocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,804
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Southern California
   
11-12-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket View Post
No spray cloth cleaner. Out of curiosity, is that not recommended?

Does this mean I need to have the cloth re attached?
Appreciate your time RKK, any input on this?
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute
 
realkingcobra's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 17,493
vCash: 5785
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: On the road everywhere.
   
11-12-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket View Post
Appreciate your time RKK, any input on this?
It ain't going to tighten up on its own
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute
 
rexus31's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,427
vCash: 542
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Gabriel, CA
   
11-12-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket View Post
Recently I have found that the cloth on my table is somewhat loose. Enough that I can create a small 'ripple' effect if I slide my finger in one direct on the table.

The weather in SoCal has been bizzare rotating between hot/dry, hot/humid, cold, hot, raining etc for the past few weeks.

Is it possible this is why the cloth is loose?

Will humidity loosen or shrink the cloth?

Will I need a mechanic to re stretch the cloth or is there something else I can do?

9' table, cloth stapled. Table in garage.
I too live in SoCal and have my table in the garage with 860 stapled. There has not be a change in the tension of the cloth whatsoever for over 2 years. I think you got hosed on your initial install. Who did the work?


"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield
  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.