Reload this Page Ring Games at DCC and GCC
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Ring Games at DCC and GCC
Old
  (#1)
Grady
Pro Player
Grady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Ring Games at DCC and GCC - 09-22-2004, 08:39 AM

I have two players for the Derby City Ring Games in Jan., 05’, Archer and Alex. It is a $5,000 entry fee and Greg and I would like to get 12 players total in order to have two games Anyone interested in playing or sponsoring a player, please contact me.
For my Gulf Coast Classic Bank Pool Ring Game, at $3,000 per player, I have “Piggy”,
Truman, Jason Miller and Tony Fargo. We’re only taking six so if you want in this great game, you need to get moving.
Thanks,
Grady

Old
  (#2)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

09-22-2004, 09:06 AM

Congratulations on landing Alex and Archer for Derby City. Good news indeed!

Old
  (#3)
quickshot
AzB Bronze Member
quickshot is on a distinguished road

09-22-2004, 09:37 AM

OT....Grady, when you come through Atlanta going to GCC....what are chances you could stop in Atlanta and give me another lesson???? I am unable to go to the GCC due to family things.

Jim

Old
  (#4)
Grady
Pro Player
Grady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond reputeGrady has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2004, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickshot
OT....Grady, when you come through Atlanta going to GCC....what are chances you could stop in Atlanta and give me another lesson???? I am unable to go to the GCC due to family things.

Jim
We'll be sure to do that lesson, Jim. Randi handles all my scheduling so give her a call at our home number.

Old
  (#5)
Grady
Pro Player

09-23-2004, 08:06 AM

Jamie was supposed to send a deposit. He didn't, after sounding enthusiastic about the ring game. We even talked about players showing up as they didn't for his effort. He didn't call me either. So I assumed that he's not in.
Ritchie may still play. Ricky from Mobile said he'd put Ritchie in but again, I have no deposit. When I do things like this, it's absolutely first come, first served. These things being said, I'd be honored to have Ritchie play.
Buddy's sponsor bailed out. I hope he finds someone else as we'd love to have him.

Handicapping Ring game
Old
  (#6)
bigfoot
AzB Silver Member
bigfoot

Handicapping Ring game - 09-23-2004, 12:03 PM

Grady, as a way to get less skilled players to play with the best in the world, and to fill the event which is what its all about, why not give them more barrells? Now mind you they have to pay more, but the end effect is a larger purse/payout. The object is to make the venue happen, not many players less skilled than the "lion" feel comfortable in this enviornment. BF

Old
  (#7)
Grady
Pro Player

09-23-2004, 12:33 PM

I don't understand what you're saying? There's no way I can get lesser players to pay more than $3,000 or $5,000? Do you mean lesser players would get more barrels while paying the same entry fee as the best players?
I believe in treating players the same if they're pros, no discrimination or favortism.

Old
  (#8)
frankncali
AzB Silver Member
frankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond reputefrankncali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 300

09-24-2004, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady
Jamie was supposed to send a deposit. He didn't, after sounding enthusiastic about the ring game. We even talked about players showing up as they didn't for his effort. He didn't call me either. So I assumed that he's not in.
Ritchie may still play. Ricky from Mobile said he'd put Ritchie in but again, I have no deposit. When I do things like this, it's absolutely first come, first served. These things being said, I'd be honored to have Ritchie play.
Buddy's sponsor bailed out. I hope he finds someone else as we'd love to have him.
It says alot about the state of our sport when a true Legend like Buddy Hall
can not or will not post the entry or find a sponsor.
In all honesty is hard to believe 6 players can not find sponsors for this
event. This is in Schmidts "neighborhood" and he is a very good banker(player). I would have thought John would be all for it.
Grady I feel for you trying to promote pool as I have always wanted to give it a go helping or promoting one. I think amateur players are far more reliable
for tournament play and sponsoring. Maybe you could hook up with the APA or
BCA and promote a few events. Something like Gradys Traveling Tournament.
About 6-10 events around the country with a bigger tournament at the end
for teams that qualified. An in house Mosconi cup so to speak with each
qualifying team/individual from a different regions around the country. Have a few pros at each event available for lessons and doing exibitions. Its would give
sponsors plenty of bang for their buck with a traveling event. At the final
event have plenty of stuff to do for non qualified teams/individuals to do
like minis for singles and teams.
I think promoting pool has got to be tough and not being able to easily fill
a 6 man ring game at a great venue is a shame.

Old
  (#9)
Pelican
AzB Silver Member
Pelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond repute

09-24-2004, 04:00 PM

Hi Frank,

You are absolutely right. It is a shame that there are not 6 players that can step up and say - Lets Do It.

If the Gulf Coast Classic is not a raging success it will certainly not be from lack of effort on Grady's part. The man has worked his behind off putting this thing together and it has been no piece of cake.

I intend to participate in each event (except the ring) just to show my support. Granted, I don't shoot worth a poop but when it's over I can tell my grandkids did shoot in a really big time tournament. Come to think of it, they could come watch me .

Sure hope your schedule works out so you can make it. Blud will be there so wear your waders

Later, Pel

I shoot pool like I make love - I'm not very good but do have a lot of fun trying.

Barrells
Old
  (#10)
bigfoot
AzB Silver Member
bigfoot

Barrells - 09-28-2004, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I don't understand what you're saying? There's no way I can get lesser players to pay more than $3,000 or $5,000? Do you mean lesser players would get more barrels while paying the same entry fee as the best players?
I believe in treating players the same if they're pros, no discrimination or favortism.
For instance, you have 4 guys and you want six in your ringer @ $1,000 each and you CAN'T get anyone else. Along comes a player who says he'll play as long as his bank is $1,200 to get in. As long as the other players "agree" to let him in why not? If your intention is to get 6 or 7 players to have the venue work why not consider it? This is just a suggestion. I know even for a $200 per man event, I would not play with Alex, Busta, Reyes, Yang, Strickland and Archer if I didn't have SOME kind of handicapp, one can always adjust. BF

Old
  (#11)
JustPlay
AzB Silver Member
JustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2837

Cool 09-28-2004, 08:15 AM

If the cost to enter the ring game was from 1200-2500 you most definitly get a couple of ring games going. coughing up five thousand dollars is alot of cakes for those broke pool players, especially when the odds are 6-1 against them winning the ring game. This would work at the DCC which is an established event. There is no doubt in my mind that Grady's tournament will be fun to participate in and/or to watch as a spectator. Besides, where is Archer, Hall, Sigel, Varner, Rempe and all the rest of the so called "pros" support in Grady's venture to put pocket billiards on the map?

Old
  (#12)
Wally in Cincy
AzB Silver Member
Wally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeWally in Cincy has a reputation beyond repute

09-28-2004, 02:18 PM

Quote:

...For my Gulf Coast Classic Bank Pool Ring Game, at $3,000 per player, I have “Piggy”,
Truman, Jason Miller and Tony Fargo....
Grady,

I would think Johnny Brumback would be a natural for that game. Has anybody talked to him?

Wally in Cincy

Old
  (#13)
Grady
Pro Player

09-28-2004, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally in Cincy
Grady,

I would think Johnny Brumback would be a natural for that game. Has anybody talked to him?
We'd love to have John play.I hope a sponsor turns up for him.

Old
  (#14)
Pelican
AzB Silver Member
Pelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond reputePelican has a reputation beyond repute

09-28-2004, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlay
Besides, where is Archer, Hall, Sigel, Varner, Rempe and all the rest of the so called "pros" support in Grady's venture to put pocket billiards on the map?
This is BANK ring. Except for Buddy most of the others do not have a heavy background in banks. Banks is one of those things that when you watch someone like Buddy, Glen, Jason, etc. play it looks so easy. It ain't. Whole different area of expertise.

Later, Pel

I shoot pool like I make love - I'm not very good but do have a lot of fun trying.

Old
  (#15)
cardiac kid
Super Senior Member
cardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700
  Send a message via Yahoo to cardiac kid  
09-28-2004, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican
Banks is one of those things that when you watch someone like Buddy, Glen, Jason, etc. play it looks so easy.
Hi Pel,

You mentioned Jason. I assume you mean Jason Miller? If so, why hasn't he bellied up to the bar? He sure can bank'em!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: