Steering to right
Old
  (#1)
medallio
AzB Silver Member
medallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Steering to right - 12-03-2017, 06:51 PM

Testing out the digicue blue and find I tend to steer tip to the right at times. What causes this?

Old
  (#2)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-03-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medallio View Post
Testing out the digicue blue and find I tend to steer tip to the right at times. What causes this?
In my experience that is often due to your head being in the wrong position so you do not see the center of the cue ball accurately. It is impossible to say for sure that head alignment is your problem. I suggest you record a video looking straight back along your cue stick. Shoot multiple straight-in stop shots in your normal way and then look at the video.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#3)
nataddrho
AzB Silver Member
nataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond repute

12-04-2017, 11:41 AM

I would also suggest recording a video.

Modulating the squareness of your stance for optimum alignment may help as well.

Lead Engineer - OB Cues
Inventor of the DigiCue and DigiCue BLUE

Old
  (#4)
Lockbox
AzB Silver Member
Lockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2017, 01:21 PM

I'm interested to hear how the digicue might help with this issue as I suffer from it too.

I would recommend checking your stroke alignment with the line on the rail of the table prior to shooting any balls. From my own experience, especially when starting, I notice that my stroke ends up going more towards the right due to a "squared up" stance. This is in part because the bicep is flexing, pulling my cue "into" my chest leading the tip to the right. Just my $0.02.

Old
  (#5)
medallio
AzB Silver Member
medallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond reputemedallio has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2017, 03:57 PM

Trust me. The digicue showing me the tip steer led to a visual correction. Iím barely missing. Will be in review

Old
  (#6)
Masseyman
AzB Silver Member
Masseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2018, 10:53 AM

Nate,
A few hypothetical questions to help me understand the readings.

What "Fault" would be effected most if, after your stroke through the cue ball, you see your tip to the left or right of your aim point?

What "Fault" would be effected most if, during your warm up, and shot, your cue was traveling in an arc motion?

What "Fault" would score, if any, if your cue stroke warm up is straight and aimed along the black line, but your visual alignment is along the yellow line?
You think your cue is aimed along the yellow line but is actually along the black line, and you hit the mark at the yellow line after you stroke the cue.

Attached Images

Old
  (#7)
One Pocket John
AzB Gold Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2018, 04:34 PM

Your not building your stance to allow for the shooting arm to close naturally on the shot line and your vision center could be off, which would effect your lining up on the shot line.

As posted earlier, a frontal video will tell you right away what the issue is.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Last edited by One Pocket John; 03-19-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Old
  (#8)
Masseyman
AzB Silver Member
Masseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond reputeMasseyman has a reputation beyond repute

03-20-2018, 11:13 AM

Yeah, I need to get my camera setup with a head on view and stroke a few while looking at what the data says for each stroke.

Old
  (#9)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

03-20-2018, 03:03 PM

No, you need to set up your camera to see a side view. That will tell you much more than just a head on, or rear view. All three would be ideal, but the side view, showing the body and shooting arm give the most feedback. Again, trying to analyze your own video is nowhere near as beneficial or practical as having a qualified professional instructor go through it with you.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masseyman View Post
Yeah, I need to get my camera setup with a head on view and stroke a few while looking at what the data says for each stroke.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#10)
Patrick Johnson
Banned
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

03-20-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masseyman View Post
Whether it's a front view or another angle, I think it's most helpful if you can view it live on a screen placed in front of you while you're stroking. That way you can make live adjustments and see how the correct stroke feels in the moment.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#11)
Masseyman
AzB Silver Member

03-21-2018, 11:21 AM

Both, good ideas

Old
  (#12)
z0nt0n3r
AzB Bronze Member
z0nt0n3r is on a distinguished road

06-10-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockbox View Post
I'm interested to hear how the digicue might help with this issue as I suffer from it too.

I would recommend checking your stroke alignment with the line on the rail of the table prior to shooting any balls. From my own experience, especially when starting, I notice that my stroke ends up going more towards the right due to a "squared up" stance. This is in part because the bicep is flexing, pulling my cue "into" my chest leading the tip to the right. Just my $0.02.
do you mean that a square stance creates tension in your upper arm?

Old
  (#13)
Lockbox
AzB Silver Member
Lockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0nt0n3r View Post
do you mean that a square stance creates tension in your upper arm?
I'm not sure if tension is the right term. I feel as though when i'm too squared up, my arm is flexing in more than one direction. When I am facing the cue (moreso than when squared up) it feels as though the elbow is working more as a hinge in only one plane.

I'm not sure if this is actually what's happening, but it is what it feels like and the results seem to reinforce this. When i'm squared up, straight shots veer to the left (cue ball goes right) and when I start with my chest basically facing my cue it tends to be straight.

Old
  (#14)
BilliardsAbout
Billiards.About.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

06-13-2018, 05:05 AM

PM me for a free lesson, or should I say, repair!

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#15)
Patrick Johnson
Banned
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

06-13-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockbox View Post
I'm not sure if tension is the right term. I feel as though when i'm too squared up, my arm is flexing in more than one direction. When I am facing the cue (moreso than when squared up) it feels as though the elbow is working more as a hinge in only one plane.

I'm not sure if this is actually what's happening, but it is what it feels like and the results seem to reinforce this. When i'm squared up, straight shots veer to the left (cue ball goes right) and when I start with my chest basically facing my cue it tends to be straight.
It took me awhile to find the elbow position (distance from body) and shoulder position (how parallel with cue) that brought the cue directly under my elbow, shoulder and vision in a way that my stroke naturally stayed on line over a wide range of speeds. For me it was elbow a little farther out and shoulders a little more parallel. It's probably a little different for everybody.

It helps me to take a moment after getting down to be aware of those things (stick, grip hand, elbow, shoulder, vision) and their alignment in the shot plane. I try to continue this stance check even (especially) after the stance becomes habitual.

pj
chgo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: