Did Nick Varner gamble.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He went on the road with Wimpy Lassiter around 1971for a year and won 90k. That's alot of cash back then.
Next I can say is when everyone was barking that Efren was the greatest in 1990 nick went to the Philippines at Efrens home pool room and played race to 60 for 40k. Nick put up all his own money and Efren had about 2 dozen backers that put up their 40k. Nick beat Efren 60-32. Nick told me it's funny that he never got invited back again.

What game did they play?
(Not necessarily it would been much difference)

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nick has been one of my favorite players to see! His attitude of accepting what the table gives him, and just moving forward from there is worth emulating.

td

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah me to

I wonder how nick would have come out if he played Efren in the Philippines.

Anybody know if they ever matched up there?

I'm glad you asked B-B, I'v been wondering the same thing. If anyone knows why don't they say so. Is it a screat. The more i think about, I don't want to know.
Jack

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder how nick would have come out if he played Efren in the Philippines.

Anybody know if they ever matched up there?

Damn People from Virginia. I always got to educate them.
When everyone was barking that Efren was the greatest in 1990 Nick went to the Philippines at Efrens home pool room and played race to 60 for 40k. Nick put up all his own money and Efren had about 2 dozen backers that put up their 40k. Nick beat Efren 60-32. Nick told me it's funny that he never got invited back again.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
There have been a couple others that went to Efren and beat him for the cheese and was never invited back.

Funny how none of the "Efren's the greatest player that ever played" fans never mention or even admit that those matches happened.

As I've said before, I have several close friends that live in the Philippines and only one of them will admit that more than one American player has robbed Efren in his own room for more than just a little cheese.

Jeff

Is it safe to assume that one friend won’t name names and has signed a million dollar NDA?

#Cruncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a great post Tin Man. I missed out on Nick’s prime by a handful of years, but of the occasional YouTube match, I’ve seen of his, how can you not be a fan.

I will take you up on getting that Siegel Varner match. At the Amateur level, I’m kind of like Varner, relying on all the tools in my belt to get the W. If only I could borrow his insane consistency, lol.

One question for Varner experts, did he not peak until the 80s, or were there not the number of events in the 70s for him to snap off?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Over heard in a diner.....two guys talking pool....Nick’s name came up

Guy sez he played Nick in a 9-ball tournament.
Other guy asks how he did....
..first guy sez “Well, Nick was playing 9-ball...I was playing three-cushion billiards...
...he never let me see a ball.”

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Over heard in a diner.....two guys talking pool....Nick’s name came up

Guy sez he played Nick in a 9-ball tournament.
Other guy asks how he did....
..first guy sez “Well, Nick was playing 9-ball...I was playing three-cushion billiards...
...he never let me see a ball.”

That's pretty fantastic

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not related to OP, but if we're talking about Mr. Varner I have to put in my two cents.

I grew up in a smaller town without elite level players. We didn't have youtube or live streams, so I could really only learn from the locals. I couldn't afford accu-stats VHSs, but the owner had 10-20 or so that I could rent for a few days. I must have seen them all 5-10 times. I knew by the score what would happen the next rack, how they'd run out, what the commentators would say. I felt like roommates with Billy and Grady I heard them banter so much, along with listening to Buddy and the others that would sit in from time to time.

My favorite match was of Nick Varner vs. Mike Sigel at the 1990 US Open. This match changed my life. Nick was down 9-2 and 10-5 going to 11 and came back to win. It was a unique match to say the least, and those who have seen it will know what I'm talking about. If you haven't I've linked it below and it's worth it at twice the price.

Anyway, Grady was commentating and made a strong point to discuss some of how Nick handled adversity. He said that Nick viewed any form of complaining as a sign of weakness, and he never showed any weakness. He never banged the table, whined about a roll, pointed in disgust, or anything like that. When he was down 9-2 he was hooked and kicked a ball in, then ended up getting corner hooked a moment later. He kicked that ball in as well, then went on to run out to get to 9-3, then 11-10 and the rest is history. Back to back US Open winner that probably never would've happened if he'd gotten negative about being that deeply buried and getting that terrible of a roll.

Nick was my hero. I modeled my game after his, mental and physical. I've never had the fire power of an Earl or an SVB, but that's what was so inspiring about Nick. It didn't look like he could do anything that special. No flashy stroke, no outrageous shots, no running around the table. But he was a master at all parts of the game, was ridiculously consistent, a mental giant, and had a burning competitive fire. The results were that all of those power players would break on him like water on rocks, and despite their fireworks he'd steadily rack up the beads until he was pocketing the last 9 ball. (Of course it helps that I cheated and probably only bought matches he won!)

I have a lot in common with Nick in the sense of not being explosive in the ways that are attention catching. And I'll never match the finished product he was. But by following in his footsteps as best I could I've done more than I thought I could when I set out.

I thanked Grady but don't think he really understood what he meant to me. I got to play Buddy twice last month and didn't even try to find words to express my gratitude (it would've been suspected sharking if I'd said it prior to the match and condescending if I'd said it after I won, he's not on his game of course). Nor Billy. I did try to tell Nick when I met him, but how can you really tell someone how they changed your life forever?

I can't. But I can tell all of you. Nick Varner is my hero.

https://store.accu-stats.com/mike-sigel-vs-nick-varner-dvd-1990-u-s-open/

I'm going to screenshot and send this to Nick. I think he would appreciate it!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Not related to OP, but if we're talking about Mr. Varner I have to put in my two cents.

I grew up in a smaller town without elite level players. We didn't have youtube or live streams, so I could really only learn from the locals. I couldn't afford accu-stats VHSs, but the owner had 10-20 or so that I could rent for a few days. I must have seen them all 5-10 times. I knew by the score what would happen the next rack, how they'd run out, what the commentators would say. I felt like roommates with Billy and Grady I heard them banter so much, along with listening to Buddy and the others that would sit in from time to time.

My favorite match was of Nick Varner vs. Mike Sigel at the 1990 US Open. This match changed my life. Nick was down 9-2 and 10-5 going to 11 and came back to win. It was a unique match to say the least, and those who have seen it will know what I'm talking about. If you haven't I've linked it below and it's worth it at twice the price.

Anyway, Grady was commentating and made a strong point to discuss some of how Nick handled adversity. He said that Nick viewed any form of complaining as a sign of weakness, and he never showed any weakness. He never banged the table, whined about a roll, pointed in disgust, or anything like that. When he was down 9-2 he was hooked and kicked a ball in, then ended up getting corner hooked a moment later. He kicked that ball in as well, then went on to run out to get to 9-3, then 11-10 and the rest is history. Back to back US Open winner that probably never would've happened if he'd gotten negative about being that deeply buried and getting that terrible of a roll.

Nick was my hero. I modeled my game after his, mental and physical. I've never had the fire power of an Earl or an SVB, but that's what was so inspiring about Nick. It didn't look like he could do anything that special. No flashy stroke, no outrageous shots, no running around the table. But he was a master at all parts of the game, was ridiculously consistent, a mental giant, and had a burning competitive fire. The results were that all of those power players would break on him like water on rocks, and despite their fireworks he'd steadily rack up the beads until he was pocketing the last 9 ball. (Of course it helps that I cheated and probably only bought matches he won!)

I have a lot in common with Nick in the sense of not being explosive in the ways that are attention catching. And I'll never match the finished product he was. But by following in his footsteps as best I could I've done more than I thought I could when I set out.

I thanked Grady but don't think he really understood what he meant to me. I got to play Buddy twice last month and didn't even try to find words to express my gratitude (it would've been suspected sharking if I'd said it prior to the match and condescending if I'd said it after I won, he's not on his game of course). Nor Billy. I did try to tell Nick when I met him, but how can you really tell someone how they changed your life forever?

tap, tap, tap.

Best all-around player ever imho. Won championships in every discipline with pockets :)

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is nick scheduled to play any stream matches

i would like to see him play

Last edited:

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I shared your post with Nick. He replied, "Thanks, Matthew. I will never get tired of compliments. And this one is special"

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sigel and Varner are my two all time favorite players. I first met Nick in 1980 and he was just a class act. I loved watching him play.

I met Sigel probably the next year. Loved watching him play too. He was certainly less quiet than Nick, but I got to know Mike over the years and he was just a passionate player that hated to lose.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sigel and Varner are my two all time favorite players. I first met Nick in 1980 and he was just a class act. I loved watching him play.

I met Sigel probably the next year. Loved watching him play too. He was certainly less quiet than Nick, but I got to know Mike over the years and he was just a passionate player that hated to lose.

I took a 4 hour lesson from Mike one time. He was very nice and I really enjoyed the experience. Also one of my all-time favorites.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nick was definitely my hero growing up in this game. He often played second fiddle to Sigel, but he won the 1986 World 14.1, and then he had the amazing 1989 year that just solidified his name in the annals of pooldom. I only wish that I had seen him play before I saw Sigel play. Maybe my bad habits and terrible attitude would have been more like Varner instead of like Sigel.

Freddie <~~~ my bad

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nick played at the 2019 Seniors One Pocket at Bogies in Houston (65 and owner) last October. He came in 7th, had a good time and said he would be back.