Mosconi's 526 run POOL TABLE questions

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very well written story by Jim Hays. Thanks for sharing that Bob. I'm beginning to regret throwing out all my old copies (I had hundreds!) of the National Billiard News. A lot of pool history is on those pages. In the early 70's I wrote a column for Conrad Burkman (the publisher) called Diary of a Pool Player. He paid me the lordly sum of $50 and I was thrilled.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
This comment was merely that a comment that I offered based on numerous conversations with someone of that era with some strong beliefs of the event. I believe Jay Helfert explained that Danny was probably in his late teens or early 20's when this happened and he was focusing on becoming a boxer so at 84 years of age I do have my doubts on the validity of his version. However I must say that having been close friends with Danny for quite some time he has told me a few thousand road stories and every once in awhile I check his facts on the event and he "dead balls on accurate". So I guess I don't take everything he says with a grain of salt. These stories for the most part are extremely entertaining and from my research mostly factual. I do know that there was a number of events that occured with Danny and Willie back in the day that Danny formed a pretty poor opinion of Willie's character, never his game, called him a master, but some personal differences over the years have tainted Danny's opinion of Willie, so I wouldn't doubt that some of this information is either fabricated or exaggerated.
So Willie had a Danny just like John S does now.

Sent from the future.