Silver Member
Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those will probably want 230 volts.

If someone wants to try a DIY heater ....

Some tables construct what you might call a "heater chamber" below the slate. Plywood sheets are mounted about 8 inches below the slate forming a more or less closed space or several spaces depending on the shape of the frame. Heating elements are mounted on ceramic standoffs on the top of the plywood. There's a thermostat. Since the heater is in an enclosed space, there will be less heat leaking out and less wasted electricity.

Some have suggested gutter defrosters. Or strings of Christmas tree lights. Electric blankets? Actual bare resistance wire looks like it would cost about $10 for the requirement but you would have to get the design details right, including the standoffs and thermostat.

The heaters I've seen max out at 600 watts but I think the average usage is much lower.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting.....are there any rooms that have em in the states? They come from the UK $hipping might be pricey. All your plug ends must be changed just from looking at em. You can't talk to anyone here about their product spacing, attaching and recommended distance from the slate.
Yrs ago a friend heated his garage pool table with a homemade set-up using pipe wrap heater. Not sure how he attached it but it was stuck on bottom of slate. From what i remember it actually worked pretty well.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gabriel Carom Table are heated, it just another gimmick, to praise or cry about. Skill kicks ass on marginal players with super duper equipment.

I disagree with your point and your tagline.

Heating carom tables is almost universal at the top levels because it makes a difference. Not because it is a gimmick.

And pool and geometry have very little in common. Understanding how the balls move around the table is an exercise in physics, not geometry. Geometry cannot take into account things like spin off a cushion, throw, the effect of speed on the rebound angle, cling, or really any of the normal phenomena that occurs on a pool table.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since that's 12 degrees higher than the Snooker pro tables, is there a reason why? I would think that the game of snooker would of nailed this down from many angles.

One things for sure, when you get down in the 60's the balls don't play correctly, especially in full rack games, Especially 14.1.

thx for your imput.

I'll go with 70....

Completely different cloth.

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gabriel Carom Table are heated, it just another gimmick, to praise or cry about. Skill kicks ass on marginal players with super duper equipment.

I wouldn't call it a gimmick at all. The balls roll at least another half table length with the heater on.

Don't believe me? Try it out for yourself.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
and different game. in billiards you need to be able to go 6-7 rails at times. snooker isn't that demanding in terms of ball travel

just in 1 game
in most carom games, when played well, are all within a quarter table

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's how Verhoeven does it.
They build a box like Bob Jewett mentioned. The boxes are held in place tight to the slates, with small wooden blocks.
Sorry for the size or the photo. Couldn't get it any smaller and show everything.

2X-Reduced-Verhoeven-Heating-System.jpg

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gabriels just got back to me. They said they set their tables between 32-35degC(90-95F).

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Gabriels just got back to me. They said they set their tables between 32-35degC(90-95F).

Thx......I've got a plan that may simplify and may work, with little expense . I've got a small 700 watt radiator looking heater under the slate middle. I'm going to chimney/funnel the direct vertical heat, and have the heat come outward in a skirting fashion along it's edges. I'll probably get a 1/4'' piece of plywood for the under structure. I don't need much, with a dark green metal roof in the CO sun, temperatures change quickly here. Even the worms were poking out a week ago, and it's in the teens at night.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gabriel Carom Table are heated, it just another gimmick, to praise or cry about.

Are you saying ONLY Gabriels tables are heated?

In either case, I keep the heater on my table (Gabriels) off because 1) I don't need the extra heat in my south Louisiana home and 2) I'll be switching to Royal Pro cloth later this year and 3) the heater is broken and I'm too lazy to fix it.

I can say that in having it off for the past two years, I can immediately see the difference when I do go out and play a heated table. Although my table at home is in pristine condition and I keep it clean, turning off the heater slows it down a lot.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thx......I've got a plan that may simplify and may work, with little expense . I've got a small 700 watt radiator looking heater under the slate middle. I'm going to chimney/funnel the direct vertical heat, and have the heat come outward in a skirting fashion along it's edges. I'll probably get a 1/4'' piece of plywood for the under structure. I don't need much, with a dark green metal roof in the CO sun, temperatures change quickly here. Even the worms were poking out a week ago, and it's in the teens at night.

Idammit! quoted wrong postt...again!