Cue lathe

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking to buy a cue lathe. I currently own a shop smith 70s model. I know I will have to jig the crap out of it to get it to do what I want. Other option is to buy a metal lathe. Third is to get a cue lathe.

If you had your choice which way would you?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

tsp&b

Silver Member
The first question is... What do you want to do with it? Repairs? for yourself? as a hobby? or as a Business? or for Cue building?

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue building mostly for me... I love the idea of building my own cues. I built my own table years ago and have always had this gnawing desire to build cues. I am leaning towards a metal lathe as I want to build other things.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not much to think about then, a decent 12x36 or 13x40 is what you need.
A new metal lathe is not really that expensive in comparison to the dedicated cue lathes.
How about something like a Precision Matthews?
4 grand for the 12x36, just under 5 for the 13x40.
You dont have to change the chuck, it`s fine. But you do need a rear chuck. It`s not that hard to machine the parts needed. I strongly recomend you get a wedge type quick change toolpost.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get the 14/40 with a minimum 1.6 thru hole spindle, Aloris axa qctp, digital read out or trav a dial, rear 3 jaw chuck, and a 30" taper bar set-up for a quick change over to taper shafts and butts. You will have to build or by a base and wire 3ph or get a converter.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get the 14/40 with a minimum 1.6 thru hole spindle, Aloris axa qctp, digital read out or trav a dial, rear 3 jaw chuck, and a 30" taper bar set-up for a quick change over to taper shafts and butts. You will have to build or by a base and wire 3ph or get a converter.

You need atleast a BXA on such a big lathe, and you don`t have to spend Aloris money. A copy works fine for the purpose we are using a lathe for.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
People have been telling me two decades that I need a big metal lathe to make cues. Someday I'll get one & be a real cue maker :)

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am beginning to think it may be to deter people from making cues? I saw a few years ago someone with a taper saw table and a modified metal lathe and they had a pretty hefty order schedule they were fulfilling with just that. He used the metal lathe to put a new tip on my cue. He was turning out two new cues on the taper table. No cnc just simple sewing machine motor with some gearing and a limit switch cut off. I will keep his name out of this because he asked me to.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People have been telling me two decades that I need a big metal lathe to make cues. Someday I'll get one & be a real cue maker :)

I have never said that you must have a metal lathe to make cues. What equipment do you use?

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I have never said that you must have a metal lathe to make cues. What equipment do you use?

I have machines from Porper, Hightower, and Mid-America, as well as a small bench top Jet. Every cue I have ever made was done so on that equipment. When other makers visit my shop, the usual question is, "where's your other shop?", because my shop doesn't look like the typical cue shop, with the typical equipment.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I have machines from Porper, Hightower, and Mid-America, as well as a small bench top Jet. Every cue I have ever made was done so on that equipment. When other makers visit my shop, the usual question is, "where's your other shop?", because my shop doesn't look like the typical cue shop, with the typical equipment.

A dedicated cue building lathe built for that purpose is by far the better choice for someone starting out in cue building. If you get a large metal lathe you must waste time modifying it before you can use it. I have a Hightower Deluxe and I have built about 180 cues on it..............

Kim

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
When other makers visit my shop, the usual question is, "where's your other shop?", because my shop doesn't look like the typical cue shop, with the typical equipment.

Yep! I can remember having those thoughts after seeing your shop!

Larry

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nothing wrong with that mate, my only point is that a Porper model B costs the same as a decent 13x40 and I think we all can agree that the precision and versitility in a different league with a metal lathe.
For the record, I also own a Hightower deluxe.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A dedicated cue building lathe built for that purpose is by far the better choice for someone starting out in cue building. If you get a large metal lathe you must waste time modifying it before you can use it. I have a Hightower Deluxe and I have built about 180 cues on it..............

Kim

What modifications are you talking about Kim?

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with that mate, my only point is that a Porper model B costs the same as a decent 13x40 and I think we all can agree that the precision and versitility in a different league with a metal lathe.
For the record, I also own a Hightower deluxe.

The reason I went the route I did is because most of my cue making years have coincided with my wife or me or both of us being active duty military. There was an ever present chance of getting orders and having to move.

I have not found a lack of precision with either machine. Would it be fair to compare them with a good machine lathe? No. But they are plenty accurate for cue work. As far as versatility, the Taig based machines are as versatile as your imagination.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reason I went the route I did is because most of my cue making years have coincided with my wife or me or both of us being active duty military. There was an ever present chance of getting orders and having to move.

I have not found a lack of precision with either machine. Would it be fair to compare them with a good machine lathe? No. But they are plenty accurate for cue work. As far as versatility, the Taig based machines are as versatile as your imagination.

I see your point and that is in my mind really the only selling points for the dedicated cue lathes, they are easy to move around. I just spent a few days assembeling a engine hoist and moving my lathe around, it takes time and reqiures some muscle...
Taig based lathes is versatile up to a point. Just parting or turning down some G10 material is at the limit of what the lathe can handle.
I do metalwork for a local cabinet maker, so I need the metal capability.
So I stand by my initial post, with the caveat, that you need more space and dedicated equipment to move your stuff around.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
I have a deluxe and several machine lathes, If I could only have one lathe expressly to build cues. I would get a deluxe.

I would give up building cues. If I could only have one lathe. Might as well get both. You are going to spend way more money than you ever thought tooling up to build a cue. I would guess $10K at least.

Welcome to the addiction!

Larry

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have my eye on a couple of vintage south bends right now. Holding out for one that might be in better shape.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I see your point and that is in my mind really the only selling points for the dedicated cue lathes, they are easy to move around. I just spent a few days assembeling a engine hoist and moving my lathe around, it takes time and reqiures some muscle...
Taig based lathes is versatile up to a point. Just parting or turning down some G10 material is at the limit of what the lathe can handle.
I do metalwork for a local cabinet maker, so I need the metal capability.
So I stand by my initial post, with the caveat, that you need more space and dedicated equipment to move your stuff around.

Parting G10 is something 99%+ cue makers will never do. Metal work is rare, too, with most cues. Aside from shaving a stainless joint collar, it's rare that I need to do anything metal. If I had the need, then I'd certainly have a machine capable of the task. Otherwise, for cues, I find zero need for a large metal lathe. I do have a small one that I use for threading ferrule tenons, but that's all it is used for these days. I initially bought it for making joint pins, which I did for several years until contracting them out.

As for versatility, there are cue specific things I do with Taig based jigs & machines that would never be viable on a machine lathe. On my deluxe lathe alone, I can SIMULTANEOUSLY set a jig up for making dash ring billets, a jig for parting rings off said billets, and point/butterfly recut jig. All three stations can fit the one bed at the same time, and if I had six hands could operate all three simultaneously. I use that single bed as a station for coring, facing, ring parting, point cutting, fly cutting, etc. I have several carriages & top slides equipped with different tooling, a few head stocks for various jigs, a few tail stocks, and a few other beds. If so inclined, one can be equipped with a panto, or fitted with CNC. None of it is permanent and nothing requires extensive modification. In terms of versatility as it relates to cue making, I fail to see how a machine lathe can compare.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
I have my eye on a couple of vintage south bends right now. Holding out for one that might be in better shape.

My favorite machine lathe is my SB heavy ten. If I could only have two. It would be a deluxe and a heavy ten. Lucky I have plenty of room. Currently I have four machine lathes in use. The deluxe and am working on a CNC tapering machine. Like I said " it's an addiction".

Larry