Earl in this match, what was his cue? it's 1990 match that I watched at least 5 times

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdonlYjUbiE

He was in a dead stroke

I know it's not Cuetec, he was signed by Cuetec right after this tournament I think, but here it's a different cue, for old people who might have been sitting in this tournament, maybe you can identify the cue, I want the model of it, not just the brand.

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
meucci...jump full table with a meucci...how strong is that!

lol never gets old

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played with Meucci's in the 80s. Sometimes a non-fancy cue and sometimes with a Jimmy Rempe Meucci Cue (I think called Castle Wall not exactly sure).

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Today this cue is considered the JR-5 then after that the M-14.

Originally it was going to be part of the Earl Stricklin line of Meucci cues.

Earl went to Cuetec so this cue became part of the Jim Rempe series cues instead.

There are better pictures of the cue with Earl using the cue when he played in a tournament in Ohio.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl played with many different Meucci Cues. Off the rack. He would keep shafts he liked, so you would see him with one Meucci butt and another shaft. He, obviously, played great with them. But, he could have played great with anything.

sonny burnett

Registered
He was still on Meucci staff then but fooling around with the Cuetec, especially on the break. You know Earl though, he could have pulled anything out of the bag. I'm pretty sure he switched to Cuetec when the Camel Tour was in Virginia, this coming from someone that can't remember what he had for dinner!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
I saw him using a Meucci 84-8 at one of the Starcher's tournaments in Canton.
It had a mis-matched shaft.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
When I started playing, early 2000's, many of the older players still had 80's-90's Meuccis. They had the whippy shafts and some even sanded their new shafts down, so they'd be even more whippy. On the tables I played back then, those cues where awesome, and I actually ended up buying a Meucci myself. The tables usually had kind of dead rails, big pockets. I remember one pool hall had Simonis 760 cloth that was so worn that it was literally paper thin in places and somehow hadn't ripped, others had slower cloths. The best players were power strokers.

Nowadays, the situation is reversed. Rails are super springy, pocket are tight, cloths are lightening fast and changed every year and everyone wants stiffer and stiffer shafts. The power strokers don't seem to have much of an advantage, and nobody has Meucci shafts, at least not the old kind.

I dug my old (slightly broken) Meucci cue out of the closet and played with it. It's actually not bad at all. But very different from what is fashionable today. Tried to hit with a friends Revo right after and more different cues do not exist, I believe. Night and day different. Playing with the old "mooch" gave me a nice nostalgic feeling, even asked for the old Aramith standard ball set they have behind the counter. Good times.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a Meucci Earl's using. With that super-lo resolution its almost impossible to tell which one. I saw Earl play some in those days( yeah smart-ass i'm old) and he used different models. He got them free from Bob so he didn't care. This kinda looks like the 84-8 i saw him use. BTW, power pistons still suck. The pros that use them get them free from Bob.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Today this cue is considered the JR-5 then after that the M-14.

Originally it was going to be part of the Earl Stricklin line of Meucci cues.

Earl went to Cuetec so this cue became part of the Jim Rempe series cues instead.

There are better pictures of the cue with Earl using the cue when he played in a tournament in Ohio.

Even though the resulotion on the video is very low and this is why I was asking for people who might remember that were actually in that event, but anyway it kind of looks like a JR-5, maybe you are right.