Who's the best TV pool commentator

K.Mcphee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO Billy Incardona is the best.

I always enjoy Buddy Halls work. Jay Helfert is a real pro at commentary and understands how to keep things moving and interesting. Sarah Rousey is someone I always try to get in the booth because she is as funny as she is knowledgeable. Mika has sat in a few times with TAR and I really enjoyed his take on things. Thorsten is one who you dont hear much from but is one of my favorites. Jerry Forsythe is another professional that does all the little things you dont even notice until the next guy doesn't do them.

Commentary is hard to do well and really good commentary can take a good match and make it great.

My dream is to one day get Alex and Earl to commentate on a match between Shane and Bustamante. Just imagine the possibilities.....

Get that match going and Alcano in the mix too if you can. That guy's scary.

K.Mcphee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There girls do a better job commentating because they aren't trying to prove anything. Jeanette and Rousey are the only two I've heard comment and they did a good job. Oh, that other girl from SD too forgot her name.

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy+Danny

Billy Incardona+Danny DiLiberto=Articulate+Common Sense+Knowledge+Humor+Work Well Together=The Best

....or, Mark Wilson By Himself.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I like Billy Cardone's style. Well spoken and a ton of experience in the trenches. I would love to do a match with Billy.

Eric >you da man

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
As JAM implied this road has been walked down many times before, but ...
IMO, nobody, absolutely nobody, can touch Bill Incardona.

5aheadforpinks

Nit Picker
Silver Member
I alwayed like to listen to Buddy Hall call a match, he would call the correct shot everytime before the shooter ever got to the shot, and best of all he explained why the shooter was playing the shot in a certain way, the guy's these days just talk...

Similar to that...

The BEST commentary I've heard to date:
Scott Frost with Corey Duel and Billy Incardona... on the 2011 US Open Onepocket Finals - Efren Reyes vs Chris Gentile... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6A1QCJTdBU

Reason is, Scott knows more then anyone in One Pocket... Corey has a HUGE imagination, but calls some impossible to predict shots with it... and Billy just keeps them talking.
Although I am a bit upset when Billy starts telling them to talk like they are commentating to people who don't know the game. DUH only people watching already know the game and benefit from Scotts immense knowledge.
These guys get really excited, and have a great debate about advanced strategy.

Really can't stand 95% of commentary I hear, simply calling the action like a baseball game is no good here. Need people engaged in the game, and experienced enough to question the players choices.

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
I like

Jim Wyche , Jerry Forsyth, Joey Aguzin .No particular order .These three articulate and pronounce their words the best in my opinion .I love the candor , humor ,and knowledge of alot of commentators but the message is clear when one of these three are on the job. As far as streamers who do it all I have to give credit where credit is due and say Ray aka Big Truck does the best of all the streamers out there who run a one man show.I'm guilty of it but some people put a body in the booth who should never be called or even regarded as a commentator .Maybe just a player with an opinion.John Di Toro deserves an honorable mention on this post .When I did my live streaming tour he had to be the most knowledgeable player and commentator I ever had the honor of doing commentary with.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim Wyche , Jerry Forsyth, Joey Aguzin .No particular order .These three articulate and pronounce their words the best in my opinion .I love the candor , humor ,and knowledge of alot of commentators but the message is clear when one of these three is on the job.

I forgot about Jim, and you're right. He is very knowledgeable. He definitely knows the game of pool well and is quite competent.

I think commentators sometimes take the heat for things they may say that the public might not agree with, and that's okay. They can't please everybody. It's hard being able to speak on the spot when it's live.

Matt90 said:
As far as streamers who do it all I have to give credit where credit is do and say Ray aka Big Truck does the best of all the streamers out there who are a one man show....

Hear, hear. I've only had the opportunity to see a couple of his streams, but they are of excellent quality. I also like the way the commentators on his streams are responsive to the chat rooms, sometimes providing details about previous matches, who's in the room, who's coming up next, et cetera.

I don't know how he does it, going on the road, traveling the four corners of the country, and still manages to produce a quality product, never complaining about what I know is a difficult lifestyle. Bravo to Big Truck! :smile:

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
For 14.1 commentary, hands down the choice would be George Fels, as proven last weekend in Chicago! Hopefully Charlie Williams is listening, and will hire George to commentate the 14.1 championships that he promotes.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I'll second that, what a pleasure hearing George last weekend. I truly hope he sits in on more, although there aren't many, if any, being streamed here in the Chicago area :(

Kevin

stunshotDAVE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's easy to some,,,

having the pleasure of mr.incardone's company at the 2005 I.P.T. in the desolate t.v. arena, i was granted the unique opportunity of having the legendary bill I. sitting in the front row next to me,casually explaining in his succinct yet off the cuff manner, the observations of a true aficionado of cue ball strategy. he was conversing in the exact manner he would, doing it in the booth. i was spellbound, making sure to try to remain casual in my remarks as to not belittle myself, showing my average knowledge of he sport. bill i. did not seem fazed, instead he just kept it going, as if we were old friends. quite a remarkable person.

in all my years of the love of the game, bill tops the list.

the others that can turn any match into an emotional experience for the viewer are known to us all. i could not put them in order, unless it is best to best. the task is daunting to say the least.

try to turn off the sound during a match you are viewing and fill the silence with some kind of intelligent dialogue.

it is then you will realize what this entails.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
Mark Wilson is the second best commentator. He's educated, well-spoken and possesses tremendous knowledge of all games...But Billy I. is still five times better than that guy.