• Super soft....

Votes: 17 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you prefer hard, medium, soft or super soft tips?

Although not necessarily a part of above, I would like to know why, and what you think your skill level is, ie, novice, intermediate, advanced, pro-speed, etc

....league S/L is fine for indicator...this is very important...I want to know if there is a particular hardness preferred by a particular skill level of player...ie, I am a S/L 7 in APA 8-ball (but a weak one, anymore)...I play with a medium tip, but I feel that they become "hard" after 2-3 weeks of play.

Please note that I am not interested in a tip brand, or one brand versus another, just the "average" hardness of your preferred tip, and what advantage, etc, you feel it gives you.

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:

TheThaiger

Banned
Advanced, harder rather than softer. I detest the hit of soft tips - it's just wrong. A cueball should ping off a cue, not squelch off it.

If a Triangle could grip like a Moori, but miscue as little as a Kamui, you'd have the perfect tip.

SeanC

needs practice...
Silver Member
APA SL6 player here. I prefer medium hardness. Pooldawg's milkduds are great for me (have had them on 3 shafts). Tried Moori Medium, Everest, Kamui Medium, Triangle, Talisman, Elk Master, etc. Although Moori and Kamui are also great, I can get the same action if not more with the milkduds. Don't like the mushiness of softer tips, gotta feel the hit...

Last edited:

No Limit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Medium as all the shafts I've played with have that as the stock tips. I do have a hard tip of a McDermott I1 shaft that I've been breaking with and I love it. The balls seem to spread out a lot more when I break. I haven't played in a league yet so I don't have a ranking. I consider myself to be somewhere between a beginner and intermediate.

walrus_3d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
medium for me

Intermediate player, SL 6/6 in APA.
Used a soft or super soft for the last couple years, switched to a medium about four months ago mainly so i wouldn't need to work as hard to maintain my tip. haven't miscued as much as people have told me i would, english works just fine, and the hit itself seems to have more clarity.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Hard because they last longer (don't compress away) and don't change density as much.

I'm a B player (semi-advanced).

pj
chgo

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
I like the black Kamui Super Soft, but they play about like a medium IMHO.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
I'm an SL6, not a particular strong 6 but to strong to be a 5. I indicated SS (assuming you meant Kamui Blacks).

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Intermediate to Advanced, depending on how I'm playing at any particular time;)
Hard, Triangle, preferably.
Because you don't have to mess with them after the first few plays.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm an APA 7 (low 7).

I like hard tips due to the low maintanence and long life.

The only real trick with hard tips is you need deliberate (smooth) stroke with a good follow through.

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
I like the moori med...I still think it is a hard tip though. I also like wizard med. and the talisman on my josey is good....If I had to pick a favorite, I like a pressed triangle. Today at least.

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can play with any tip, any cue . Takes a few shots to warm up. Then they all fall down! I prefer BLK Kam mark

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm considered a good AA but the ranking is different here and it goes like this : C-B-A-AA-AAA-Semi Pro-Pro. I'va had good finishes in AAA tournaments as well but I'm awful when not confident :p

I prefer softer tip. I love triangle and while I know they're hard tips, I get a soft one in the bunch. I don't like the sound of a laminated tip.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I'm not sure what my skill rating is, I'd have to say high C or low B-- SL 6 or 7 if I'm in dead stroke:D. I've played with Triangle mediums for about 20 years, but recently switched to milk duds--I'm in love with them. Not sure how you classify them, probably medium-hard, but they grab like a soft. Great tips.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Voted soft, I like to use the moori soft. Started out using the moori med (stock tip on the McD I2) but tried a soft and just liked the feel better.

Apa SL6

:cool: