New TAR Match Format

TX BAD BOY

FISH IN SHARK TERRITORY!
Silver Member
:confused:I have often wondered if they will ever have a scotch doubles event for TAR. I think it would be pretty exciting to see, say, SVB and Archer against just about anyone. Would be something different. What do you think??

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I think it's a great idea as long as they're able to have fun at the table. To me, doubles is as much a social game as a competition. I'd love to see them joking and such.

Not sharking...no talking during a shot. But let's have some fun between shots and racks.

Rhale100

DILLIGAF ?
Silver Member
This match up would never happen, but I'd like to see......

Archer /Strickland VS. SVB /Dechaine. Could be interesting !

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I would like to see TAR matches played with a backgammon cube. Whoever wins a game, they get control of the cube. Odds are, no one is flipping the cube early in a match, but if someone gets up a few games and flips the cube, it makes it interesting to see if the other player accepts or surrenders. Never know... If things are neck and neck, you might have someone flip the cube and then get the cube reverse-flipped on the other guy.

For those of you who don't know what the cube is, it's a multisided cube that goes from 2x to 64x. If someone gets an advantage, they can propose to double the bet. The other person must accept or surrender. I kinda like it because it's demoralizing to be forced to surrender.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I think teaming up old with new school doubles would be great. I mean one of each on a side. Or, what the hell. Archer & Earl take on all comers. And what about the females?

banditgrrr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl / Earl's personality #1 vs Any 2 of Earl's other personalities.

He's fun to watch but the guy is nuts!

TX BAD BOY

FISH IN SHARK TERRITORY!
Silver Member
The only problem with Earl is that I don't think Justin wants him back due to his crude behavior in the past.

Spot on though, I would like to see something like Earl/Archer vs SVB/????

I think it would be pretty cool. Maybe 20k per team and that would really heat up the room.

TX BAD BOY

FISH IN SHARK TERRITORY!
Silver Member
I hate scotch doubles.

Not everyone is a fan of it. I understand. On league night, we play doubles with our teamates just for the fun of it. Me and some of my teammates have even matched up in some double with some of the other teams that we have played. I have found it to be fun at times and frustrating at others.

The point I was making is this.

I enjoy watching SVB play, but if he had to play partners with another top notch player, would it be something fun to watch. Contrasting styles of play, the way players "see" the table. Decisions that they would make.

I think it should be a format similar to BCA in Vegas. You can talk to your partner away from the table while the other team is playing, but when it is your teams inning at the table, no suggestions or comments between the two or it is a foul. Each player would have to make and decide their own shots and their partner would have to live with it.

I just think it would be interesting to see something like that.

Jay021

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:confused:I have often wondered if they will ever have a scotch doubles event for TAR. I think it would be pretty exciting to see, say, SVB and Archer against just about anyone. Would be something different. What do you think??

This has been brought up several times in the past. TAR's stand on this(or was last I read) was they would love to do something like this, especially since so many viewers want to see it. Only problem is the logistics. When they pay expenses for flights, rooms, prize funds, and all the other stuff most of us can't imagine, for two players, Tar is lucky to break even. With this format, they basically double their expenses, but generate basically the same revenue.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Miked up doubles would be fantastic. Can't be players who are too shy (though earl is 0% to be in this so forget any combinations involving him).

An interesting combo would be known top level champs mixed with players who are kind of on the next tier, or still pretty young. Think johnny+shuffet vs. shane & shuff.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Isn't this the Mosconi Cup doubles format? ('scuse me; I'm new to pool and don't know all the games).

SVB and Archer have partnered often in the Cup.

TX BAD BOY

FISH IN SHARK TERRITORY!
Silver Member
Similar to Mosconi cup doubles, however in the Cup, you can talk to your partner at the table...I don't really like that as you can tell your partner what and how to shoot a shot. I think it should be no conversation.

On the TAR expense part, I think you would generate a little more in terms of viewers and I am sure if the price was increased by say 10.00 for the weekend pass, you wouldn't lose any viewers. Most would pay the extra 10 bucks to see something of this magnitude.

Maybe partner TAR with a couple of willing sponsors who would put up a little to help this happen. I would for one be willing to help with some expense if Justin would like to do something like this.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I liked the old Derby 10 ball Ring games. I thought the players were having fun, and it was fun to watch.

Pete

Rhale100

DILLIGAF ?
Silver Member
Sorry for the off topic subject, but does anyone have a link for a good streaming Ring Game ?

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
SVB/Archer vs Orcullo/Bustamante would be awesome, 8ball, 10 ball and 1 pocket all around.

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about a Tar match between Male and Female pro's.......Any takers?? If not, Why not?

I dont see why they cant compete together... when you get down to it, it's you against the table.