• Diamond Pro Am

Votes: 226 49.0%
  • Other

Votes: 11 2.4%

• Total voters

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Alright guys. I've heard some pretty vocal and loyal players out there who espouse the merits of their favorite table. I just want to know where the majority stands. Please vote in the poll provided. Just to keep it simple, just know that I am soliciting opinions only on STOCK, unmodified (read unshimmed, cobra-ized, etc.) 9 foot tables.

The question is simple. If you had the money to buy one and only one table AND keep that table for your pool playing lifetime, what would you buy? Sorry for adding the "other" option, but part of the purpose of this poll is to shed some light on the Diamond vs. Brunswick debate, which is kind of like the age old Chevy vs. Ford thing.

Cheers to all...

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Alright guys. I've heard some pretty vocal and loyal players out there who espouse the merits of their favorite table. I just want to know where the majority stands. Please vote in the pool provided. Just to keep it simple, just know that I am soliciting opinions only on STOCK, unmodified (read unshimmed, cobra-ized, etc.) 9 foot tables.

The question is simple. If you had the money to buy one and only one table AND keep that table for your pool playing lifetime, what would you buy? Sorry for adding the "other" option, but part of the purpose of this poll is to shed some light on the Diamond vs. Brunswick debate, which is kind of like the age old Chevy vs. Ford thing.

Cheers to all...

So, what you're asking for is to make a choice between Diamond "stock" with 4 1/2" corner pockets, and 5 1/16" side pockets VS Brunswick
"Stock" as in NON-Tournament Edition....5" corner pockets and 5 1/2" side pockets...right?

jalapus logan

Silver Member
So, what you're asking for is to make a choice between Diamond "stock" with 4 1/2" corner pockets, and 5 1/16" side pockets VS Brunswick
"Stock" as in NON-Tournament Edition....5" corner pockets and 5 1/2" side pockets...right?

I suppose so, but you're the expert here. How should I clarify the question to have better context?

Also, for me, I'll go ahead and stir the pot a bit and vote Diamond all the way. In 40 years, when all of the gold crown guys are complaining about their laminate rails falling apart, I'll be wiping down my Dymondwood rails and laughing when they look brand new once again - ha ha!

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alright guys. I've heard some pretty vocal and loyal players out there who espouse the merits of their favorite table. I just want to know where the majority stands. Please vote in the poll provided. Just to keep it simple, just know that I am soliciting opinions only on STOCK, unmodified (read unshimmed, cobra-ized, etc.) 9 foot tables.

Cheers to all...

I seem to play better on Diamond tables.

Druid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't decide. Both are great. If you have the room and money, get both! :smile:

mdavis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cheers to all...

Might also read my thread comparing them -

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=211755

mdavis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why not compare the Pro-am to the tourney edition GC V? Seems more logical..

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I actually voted for the Diamond Pro-am but I have a Pro at my home.. I prefer playing on the diamond over the GC any day.. The stock 4.5" corners are perfect in my opinion.. Not too tight but very fair and you still have to hit em good for the ball to fall..

jalapus logan

Silver Member
I actually voted for the Diamond Pro-am but I have a Pro at my home.. I prefer playing on the diamond over the GC any day.. The stock 4.5" corners are perfect in my opinion.. Not too tight but very fair and you still have to hit em good for the ball to fall..

I am in your boat as well. I have the Diamond Pro table with the three piece slate at home. I love it. In my experience, the Pro (if set up correctly - and it should be!) and Pro Am play identical. I personally have no preference in either one.

jalapus logan

Silver Member
Well, the poll results are interesting so far. 34 to 38 with the Diamond as the slight favorite at the time of this post. It seems that folks thus far are pretty evenly split. That is a bit surprising to me.

jalapus logan

Silver Member
Bump for those who have not voted in this poll.

Looks like opinions are still fairly evenly divided. That is odd, given that Diamond has Brunswick stone cold beat in the following categories: quality, playability, promotion of the sport, etc. - he he!

mdavis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump for those who have not voted in this poll.

Looks like opinions are still fairly evenly divided. That is odd, given that Diamond has Brunswick stone cold beat in the following categories: quality, playability, promotion of the sport, etc. - he he!

And we have the great RKC here...to represent Diamond.

Brunswick doesn't have anyone on these forums, that I am aware of?...but they do have stores/distribution all over, discounted resale, etc...

Not too surprising for me.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Hmmmm.....I prefer a Real King Cobratized GCII with 4.5" pockets...:thumbup:

Unfortunatly that is not a poll answer so I opted out of answering.:)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Why not compare the Pro-am to the tourney edition GC V? Seems more logical..

Well, for one, the tournament edition GC5 is a special order table in order to get the 4 9/16" corner pockets...at a cost of about an extra $1,000....so I don't consider that "stock" wereas the Diamond comes factory with 4 7/16" corner pockets...at no additional cost...because that's the stock spec's...and it's about half the cost of a GC5. The Artemis Intercontinenal K55 cushions are stock on a Diamond as well, and not even an OPTION on a Brunswick...and they are by far the best cushions there is to have on a 9ft pool table...period...bar none.

Glen

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DIAMOND BABEEEEEE!!! No shiny corner plates with the rubber to slide your cue on and for so many other reasons... Of course I am totally spoiled getting to play on one that is so perfect with the new rails it is so SWEEET :)

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
As almost everyone who has compared the two comments on, I can't stand the raised metal or cheap plastic of the GC's. This alone sways my vote to the pro-am. All other issues are correctable.

jalapus logan

Silver Member
As almost everyone who has compared the two comments on, I can't stand the raised metal or cheap plastic of the GC's. This alone sways my vote to the pro-am. All other issues are correctable.

This is why I am comparing stock tables. I've never heard of anyone having to "correct" the way a Diamond Pro Am plays. $ for $, to me, I can't see how anyone could buy a better table new than a Diamond Pro Am or Pro table.

When I was trying to decide on which table to purchase, I quickly narrowed my search down to between the Gold Crown and either the Diamond Pro or Pro Am. After playing for years on each, I already had decided that the Diamond tables played better and had better consistency between tables. When I saw that the Gold Crown actually cost substantially MORE than the Diamond, my decision was easy. I mean, why would I pay MORE for a table that doesn't play as well???

vaplaya

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I vote for the GC5 tournament edition. This table plays great . The only drawback I can find is the back of my hands sometimes get scraped on wood when getting the balls out of the ball return. Only other problem is finding someone in southeast Va. who knows how to properly set this table up. Mostly cosmetic issues..

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
GC vs Diamond

Well, the poll results are interesting so far. 34 to 38 with the Diamond as the slight favorite at the time of this post. It seems that folks thus far are pretty evenly split. That is a bit surprising to me.

Many avid players have grown up playing on the Gold Crowns and will always prefer them. Diamond is clearly taking over. Ten years ago the GC would have won this poll in a walk, as Diamond will ten years from now. I would have voted for the Diamond PRO, but the Pro-ams I've played banked funny to me. Probably because I play on our 'pro' all the time. I hear they have been 'recalibrated'. Have the same changes been made to the Pro Ams and the Smart Tables? Diamond is making great efforts to improve, and I'll bet alot of those GC votes were people thinking of 1s and 2s.