Food At The Derby

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone do something about the restaurant at the Executive West. The food they serve there is absolutely the worst. Not fit for a pig. Thank god the Corner Pocket provided some worthy snacks. For anyone going next year bring some packaged snacks.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The bowling alley across the street, Executive Lanes, has a short-order grille that is a serviceable alternative. Although still room for improvement, food at Executive West was way better this year than last!

Martin

yobagua said:
Can someone do something about the restaurant at the Executive West. The food they serve there is absolutely the worst. Not fit for a pig. Thank god the Corner Pocket provided some worthy snacks. For anyone going next year bring some packaged snacks.

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
The food has gone Waaaay down for this years DCC.

True Story - While paying my check one afternoon, there was a nice local couple (maybe in their 50's) paying their check. They knew the lady manager taking care of the register and she asked how their meal went.
The gentleman says, "It was OK but why have you raised the price a buck and eliminated some of the best stuff from the salad bar"?
The manager replies - "Oh, don't worry about that - that's is just for this week with this pool tournament going on and everything will be back to normal by next week"!
Man - That really burned me up!
Another time I ordered the Prime Rib dinner and it honestly took over 40 minutes to arrive. When it did, it was so over-cooked (I had ordered it medium) that I could hardly eat it. The "Chef Chris" offered me another and I said - "I'll be damned if I'm going to wait another 30 or 40 minutes"!
He said I could get another at anytime in the future.
I forgot about it and when checking out of the hotel, I remembered it and got a dinner chit from the restaurant manager for anytime, even next year.
The entire hotel has had a complete renovation but nothing at all has been done to the restaurant. I couldn't believe that the same stools that fall backwards every time someone sits down are still there.
Bottom Line - They had us trapped - they knew it - and they took advantage of us with inflated prices and inferior product & service.

TY & GL, OHB

Eieio59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to mention that for the SECOND time in TWO years, the hotel has double charged my credit card! They are making good on it, but the inconvenience is unbelieveable. Their "sister" hotel (Galt House) is actually the one that tried to charge us again his year...... I'm still wondering about that! They even tried to charge my friends room last year!

Next year.... cash only.

thecardman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just for reference for next year...

I am fully intending being at next year's DCC (it'll be my first) and would like to know what is around the area of the Executive West (for eating, that is). Is there a pizza place? Chinese? Anything?

Ratchet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taco Bell & McDonalds

thecardman said:
Just for reference for next year...

I am fully intending being at next year's DCC (it'll be my first) and would like to know what is around the area of the Executive West (for eating, that is). Is there a pizza place? Chinese? Anything?

If you have a vehicle there are the above named places 1/2 mile down the road
and I saw a Waffle House and a Bob Evans about 1/2 mile further

The food really was despicable and especially for the prices charged .What OHB overheard must be addressed ,I asked about the veterans discount on my room and was snobbily and snottily told " We have allready discounted our rooms to pauper room rates Veterans rates do not apply " WTH was that about ?? I have stayed in rooms at most of these "pauper" rooms during one pool event or another that were just as nicely ,furnished (I add friendlines and service in my scores) and I did not have to worry about wrestling with that damn comforter that slid off my bed all nite long lolol

Ratchet - hates motel 6's ( match box size rooms ) even the handicap rooms were not handicap wheelchair accessible (for my wife)

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be great if we could organize a letter from some of us or from AZ forums and other billiard orgs to protest the quality of the food at the hotel. At least let Greg know how we feel. I didnt have a car because parking is horrendous with over 500 participants and friends. I finally had to take a cab into town to get a good meal.

Can someone post addresses or email where we can lodge our protest.

thecardman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ratchet

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind for next year.

To everyone that is complaining about the food, may I make the following suggestion.

Don't arrange for one letter to the Executive West. EVERYBODY write to the Executive West and complain. The more letters and/or John Shake, the Manager of the Executive West, gets the more notice he is sure to take. I did a bit of detective work, and found out that you can e-mail him directly on jshake@exwesthotel.com. The more people complain about the quality of the food, service, etc, the more he is likely to take note.

Just a thought for you all.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
food at derby

last friday night i had a cheeseburger in the bar, well done, as i like it. it was so good, saturday i thought i would do the same.
ordered a "well done" burger again
out comes a bloody ass raw cheeseburger. i about puked when i bit into it.
only took another 30 minutes to make another that sure wasn't what i would call "well done". medium at the very best
and they forgot the cheese sticks i ordered too.
next year, i'll drive wherever i have to, to eat someplace else.

sunday morning, breakfast in the main dining room. no coffee or water refills, after waiting and waiting , i got up, grabbed the closest coffee pot and did it myself. ok, they are busy i thought. again, no refill by waitress. this time i grabbed the coffee pot and let a few waitresses and the hostess know about it, rather loudly, that if i had to continue to wait on myself, i wasn't going to pay the F***in' bill. they copped my bill.

off the subject, but why is it, that when some people stay in a hotel, they act like idiots, running up and down the halls, making a hell of a lot of noise, talking at the top of thier lungs, disturbing those who want to sleep?

Last edited:

Ratchet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't worry ,I think Gregg will be checking in in here to see how we felt .That man busted his ass and without his help I dont believe the room would have gotten off the ground . He was in and out of the room and really dug everything about it ... as for the food ...I bet he allready knows...

Ratchet - never shoot the horse when the wagon wheels fall off ! lololol

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate to complain too much because I am thankfull for the Derby City Classic and would hate to see it end. Greg probably has enough on his hands to worry about. Never ate in the restaurant this year but did buy snacks at the snack bar. I would say their prices were a little on the high side. I went to the local Kroger and bought drinks/snacks. There are plenty of places to eat close by. I understand a lot of people fly in, so they don't have a car. You can take a taxi but then again you have to watch about being ripped off there. I did see the executive west bus at the waffle house late one night, so maybe that is an option. Anyway I would like to thank Greg Sullivan/staff and everyone else who is responsible for the tournament.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
We were at the Derby for the first two days. I thought the available food choices were pretty bad.

I got a barely warm, stale pizza from the Corner Pocket at 3am. Later, around 6 am we got a terrible Ham sandwich. The best things there imo were the brownies and bottled drinks. The alternative was a cold walk just before dawn so crappy sandwiches it was.

We gave the restaurant at the Executive West a try the next day around 2pm. Got a primerib sandwich that was just ok. With drink and tip it worked out to be around $19. My buddy and I both agreed that the buffet looked to scary to give a try and that for the $40 we spent on lunch it would have been better to venture off site. Next year we are renting a car so we aren't held captives to the hotel food at 4am.

The best meal we had was around 6 that night when we went to Outback. The shuttle guy ran us over there, it took about 15 min each way, but for $20 you cant get a better steak imo.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OldHasBeen said:
True Story
The gentleman says, "It was OK but why have you raised the price a buck and eliminated some of the best stuff from the salad bar"?
The manager replies - "Oh, don't worry about that - that's is just for this week with this pool tournament going on and everything will be back to normal by next week"!

TY & GL, OHB

That speaks volumes about how much pool and pool players are respected by the hotel owners.

ragbug74

Next NYTimes Best-Seller!
Silver Member
Based on what I experienced last year at the 2005 DCC, my first visit, I thought the food quality was OK, and I thought the prices weren't too bad. I even told people that they make it affordable to stay at the hotel to eat/drink instead of having to venture off-site.

When I got down there this year and saw the prices of the food at the snack bar, I couldn't believe it. One evening, my wife and I ran out to Wendy's. We got 2 cheeseburger deluxe's, 2 5-piece chicken nuggets, a medium fry, and a small frosty....total price: $6.30. Price of ONE sandwich at the tourney: $5.50+. Sure, I had to go out to get the Wendy's, but that's sure a heck of a lot more food for just about the same money.

I didn't eat in the restaurant this year, but had dinner there once last year. I thought it was fair as far as quiality and price. But reading above, it appears they've raised the price and removed some items, but I didn't eat there this year.

At the rate prices are going up, you'll be paying Major-League sports prices for all food and beer within a year or two.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you try their burger? The year I went (3 yrs. ago) I ate 27 cheese bugers in five days. Good stuff.

kollegedave

jazznpool said:
The bowling alley across the street, Executive Lanes, has a short-order grille that is a serviceable alternative. Although still room for improvement, food at Executive West was way better this year than last!

Martin

johnrp2005

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah well i ate a cheese burger this year and it was a good burger
thought price wise not so good then reminded myself im in a hotel
then the second and last time i ate in the resturant was at breakfast
got the breakfast buffet. not as much items as say frisch's big boy.
but the eggs and sausage, bacon and biscuits with gravy was great
and also as much grape juice and orange juice and milk and a coke as i wanted
not bad at frisch's big boy i will have to pay for each additional glass of orange juice or grape juice and milk not free like at exective west hotel. i think
what most people are talking about is their lunch and dinner buffet
now i didnt care for that. for price and quality wasnt that great at all.
i recommend get a burger for lunch dinner and get their breakfast other than that i say people might be right about the other food.

sweatinNbettin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other bad thing this year was the concessions raised their prices. They offered more this year than past years with subs, sloppy joes, chili, chicken breast sandwiches. THe other funny thing is they usually bring a cart around at night thru the lobby and tournament room for late night snacking. This year they did that but charged .50 more than the concession stand. One girl's response was, well we are bringing it to you.
The fact is they will get us one way or another. We did bring snacks and our own water and coke. Tiny bottles of water was $1.50 half the size of a standard concession bottle.
Breakfast by far is the best deal in the hotel. Wish they would keep it all day since most of us don't rise till 1pm.
Oh well maybe Greg can talk to the hotel about taking stuff off the bars because we are in town. That hotel stays in business the month of January cause of DCC.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
You just gotta be prepared!

I've been to all of the Derby's and have had the same suite 6 of the 8 years. Would have had it every year , but it was under construction one year and rented to someone for the entire month the other. The suites cost about $20 a day more but we've found it to be a bargain. They have a small fridge, a wet bar, and a separate living room, from the bed room. I bring a microwave, a hot plate and some basic utensils. I also make up a HUGE pot of homemade chili and freeze it in small containers, to defrost through the week. We hit the grocery store as soon as we arrive and stock the room with sandwich makings, drinks and snacks. We also usually have an Italian Night where we make up some pasta and spaghetti sauce with meatballs and Italian sausage. This is Danny DiLiberto's favorite night I think. I hook up with lots of old friends I've known from traveling from tournament to tournament for many years. Danny usually comes up to the room when his duties doing commentaries with AccuStats are done for the day, gets a snack and tells road stories for an hour or so each night. I guess you could call it an un-official hospitality suite, of sorts. Some of the top players stop by for a chance to unwind and shoot the shit with friends! Jimbo and Fred stopped by on occasion and sampled the chili!
I have to admit that this was a little unusual, but after the tournament I realized that I'd only eaten one meal out during the tournament! Didn't even stop in the hotel restaurant this year, I was a little put off last year in there!
We usually hit the Chinese buffett, Hooters, Waffle House and a couple of other spots over on Preston Rd, but this year I hardly left the hotel the whole 10 days!
Not only did we save a lot of money but it was so much more convenient to get a quick bite in the room, at our convenience, than to try to get something out or even in the hotel. The hours of the tournament and the action do not conform to normal business hours and sometimes you find yourself hungry and it's a big production to get something to eat. I've been on a cottage cheese & pineapple diet for a couple of months and usually eat that for at least two meals a day. Worked out great for me!

just more hot air!

Sherm

T

Timberly

yobagua said:
It would be great if we could organize a letter from some of us or from AZ forums and other billiard orgs to protest the quality of the food at the hotel. At least let Greg know how we feel. I didnt have a car because parking is horrendous with over 500 participants and friends. I finally had to take a cab into town to get a good meal.

Can someone post addresses or email where we can lodge our protest.
Greg spent some time in the AZ room explaining numerous things from the tables to the cloth to the hotel. He mentioned that in the past, they weren't exactly friendly to the DCC crowd but they have since come around. Now that they know it's here to stay and that people do spend money, they're taking steps to make things better, esp when it comes to the food. They need to start taking giant steps. I ate at the breakfast buffet on my first morning there (7th) and I never set foot back in that "restaurant". The corner pocket snack bar really wasn't much better. After trying numerous things there, the chili & the Freschetta pizza's were the only things I found to be edible. Ordering from the bar was much better. They had burgers and appetizers. The burgers were great and the potato skins were also good.

For those of you without a car, the shuttle bus will take you to the restaurant, drop you off, & then come pick you up. All you have to do is tip him. Most didn't know this. They took a friend of mine to get a haircut, go to staples for supplies, and the grocery store for food. A friend & I used it to go to dinner one night last week.

I had heard that the food at the Executive across the street was pretty good but they weren't without their faults either. Next yr I'll just plan better. I'll get a cooler and keep some lunch meat in the room for sandwhiches. If you drive, take a microwave and you'll have tons of more food options to stock up on. Remember, if you didn't drive.... the shuttle will take where you want to go.