(FAQ) How do you use the tangent line?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The great artist vs the paint by numbers method.

One just knows & feels their way to the artistry...

while the other must match the numbers on the canvas to the numbers on the tubes of paint & if a tube or canvass area is mis-numbered, the picture gets ruined.

We all have different 'natures' & we all should proceed according to our nature & not how others tell us to do so.

That said, some disciplines are better suited to one nature vs the other.

You are so far out in left field, that you aren't even in the ballpark anymore.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

while the other must match the numbers on the canvas to the numbers on the tubes of paint & if a tube or canvass area is mis-numbered, the picture gets ruined.

We all have different 'natures' & we all should proceed according to our nature & not how others tell us to do so.

Some players play entirely by feel. Nothing wrong with that if you have the talent and the table time to pull it off. If I were to go back to that, I'd still be the guy playing against the 5 ball ghost or with a 30 ball high run in straightpool. Knowledge and drills/training to understand how the tangent line works, how follow works etc. brought me up to the level I'm at today.

You can never know to much in this game. I remember watching a good player gambling in 9 ball (not terribly high stakes, but still it was for money) and they had a mismatched ball set. I could see that the 3 ball had been replaced. I could tell because the set was centennials and that ball looked like a premier or standard Aramith or possibly a knock-off. It looked worn and chipped as well. The good player messed up a drawshot on that ball, because it was light, and came up short, costing him the game and the set. An experienced player like that should not have been playing with a mismatched set to begin with, unless HE knew the difference between the balls. He never found out why he came up short, either, but I could see he was perplexed about it. These are things you may encounter.

In a different pool hall I saw a guy messing up position twice because the slate had a flaw and he didn't know. Even though the table was mostly level there was a slight hump near the side rail. Every regular there knew about it, but he didn't and it contributed to his downfall. If the table is even a tiny bit off level, you may not only miss balls, but even position, if you are stunning the ball "uphill" or "downhill" as it were. If you know the table is slightly unlevel, you can compensate by hitting a bit harder to ensure that you make the ball, but many people forget that if the cueball is travelling slowly, then you need to watch out for the roll on that as well... If you play on perfect conditions you may never need to know these things, but most of us will some day encounter such conditions. Of course in snooker you have the nap to contend with as well.

Maybe some of you don't know about sublte effects like this or don't want to know about them. That's ok. I much prefer knowledge of table/ball conditions, to randomly guessing why funny stuff keep happening when playing at a certain table etc.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Some players play entirely by feel. Nothing wrong with that if you have the talent and the table time to pull it off. If I were to go back to that, I'd still be the guy playing against the 5 ball ghost or with a 30 ball high run in straightpool. Knowledge and drills/training to understand how the tangent line works, how follow works etc. brought me up to the level I'm at today.

You can never know to much in this game. I remember watching a good player gambling in 9 ball (not terribly high stakes, but still it was for money) and they had a mismatched ball set. I could see that the 3 ball had been replaced. I could tell because the set was centennials and that ball looked like a premier or standard Aramith or possibly a knock-off. It looked worn and chipped as well. The good player messed up a drawshot on that ball, because it was light, and came up short, costing him the game and the set. An experienced player like that should not have been playing with a mismatched set to begin with, unless HE knew the difference between the balls. He never found out why he came up short, either, but I could see he was perplexed about it. These are things you may encounter.

In a different pool hall I saw a guy messing up position twice because the slate had a flaw and he didn't know. Even though the table was mostly level there was a slight hump near the side rail. Every regular there knew about it, but he didn't and it contributed to his downfall. If the table is even a tiny bit off level, you may not only miss balls, but even position, if you are stunning the ball "uphill" or "downhill" as it were. If you know the table is slightly unlevel, you can compensate by hitting a bit harder, but many people forget that if the cueball is travelling slowly, then you need to watch out for the roll on that as well... If you play on perfect conditions you may never need to know these things, but most of us will some day encounter things like this. Of course in snooker you have the nap to contend with as well.

Maybe some of you don't know these things or don't want to know them. That's ok. I much prefer knowing stuff like this, rather than randomly guessing why funny stuff keep happening when playing at a certain table etc.

So... what is your point?

I think you are mixing up a few things in there. Do you think that a predominant feel player does not know how follow works or that all tables are not level or that all balls are not equal?

Buffalo's had a table that the two long rails banked completely differently because of how the A/C vent on the wall blew on one but not the other.

There is a table at another hall that I know that has a badly cut shelf & will not accept balls coming from the short rail as well as from the long rail.

I said that we all have our own type of 'nature' & should proceed on that as opposed to how others TELL us to do so.

Some love drills & some 'hate' drills. Some 'love' contrivances & others do not.

I can teach you how to throw a baseball & I can get you to throw it into the ground right in front of you & I can explain the physics & the angle that will allow you to throw the ball as far as you are capable.

I can NOT tell you that a throw from the right field corner to third base is a level 7.5 of 10 levels for you. You will just have to throw that throw (& others) a number of times and garner a feel for just what your arm is capable.

As to the off shoot of the thread, do you think that everyone's peace sign is of the exact same angle?

Also do you know exactly what the rolling speed of a ball is vs one that will have some top spin coming out of the collision? Just how hard can you hit a ball so it will ONLY be rolling out of a collision? do you know exactly how man feet per second that is?

Anyway... To each their own.

All Best Wishes for You & Yours,
Rick

Last edited:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member

Stupid comparison. Equating a systematical approach to billiards to "paint by numbers" artistry is a joke. A better comparison would be an artist's sketch vs an architectural draft. Both are beautiful in their own right. One is mathematically precise, the other a given gift.

Watch the Chinese players. They rarely play "by feel". And they're some of the best players in the world.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
So... what is your point?

I think you are mixing up a few things in there. Do you think that a predominant feel player does not know how follow works or that all tables are not level or that all balls are not equal?
Depends. Some feel players seem to blow off stuff like this, like it's not important, but it can be, in certain situations.

Buffalo's had a table that the two long rails banked completely differently because of how the A/C vent on the wall blew on one but not the other.
There is a table at another hall that I know that has a badly cut shelf & will not accept balls coming from the short rail as well as from the long rail.
Would you say that knowing these things puts at an advantage, or disadvantage? If you came to a completely unknown pool hall with standard Gold Crowns/Diamonds, it and it was raining outside, would you pick the table by the open window, if so, would you know how to compensate, roughly? Or would you need to shoot x number of banks first?
I said that we all have our own type of 'nature' & should proceed on that as opposed to how others TELL us to do so.
Excuse me, but nobody is TELLING you to do jack sh...Do whatever you please. No need to say that others are wrong or stupid for knowing how the balls react. There are times in this game when people who know the physics can actually play a little. Otherwise, every hustler with read up on Dr. Daves page as part of their hustle:D.
Some love drills & some 'hate' drills. Some 'love' contrivances & others do not.
Ah "contrivances":rolleyes:
I can teach you how to throw a baseball & I can get you to throw it into the ground right in front of you & I can explain the physics & the angle that will allow you to throw the ball as far as you are capable.
I hope I don't offend you Americans now, but I'd rather be flayed alive than learn baseball. The only game more boring than that would be cricket. And no, I don't want to learn that, either.

I can NOT tell you that a throw from the right field corner to third base is a level 7.5 of 10 levels for you. You will just have to throw that throw (& others) a number of times and garner a feel for just what your arm is capable.
I can tell you right now that I'm not much of a ball thrower. I can only throw knives and axes. I can kick a ball quite far though.
As to the off shoot of the thread, do you think that everyone's peace sign is of the exact same angle?
Well, I can't guarantee that. But I like the fact that this doesnt' rely on equipment, but rather uses your own body for the calculations. If your peace sign is off, you'll see it.
Also do you know exactly what the rolling speed of a ball is vs one that will have some top spin coming out of the collision? Just how hard can you hit a ball so it will ONLY be rolling out of a collision? do you know exactly how man feet per second that is?
No. I don't see how that measurement would be possible to make with the naked eye. Also the slickness of the cloth plays a big part. That still doesn't prevent me from using calcualtions based on half ball hits. I also know some 3 cushion systems that help me with that.
Anyway... To each their own.

All Best Wishes for You & Yours,
Rick

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Stupid comparison. Equating a systematical approach to billiards to "paint by numbers" artistry is a joke. A better comparison would be an artist's sketch vs an architectural draft. Both are beautiful in their own right. One is mathematically precise, the other a given gift.

Watch the Chinese players. They rarely play "by feel". And they're some of the best players in the world.

I think THAT is an unintelligent statement that probably fits the description of absurd.

How do YOU... KNOW that they are playing without feel? Only they know & can provide that information.

It is not appropriate to compare two totally different activities that 'require' completely different attributes.

An architect can do a hand drawn sketch or he can do a measured 'drawing'.

A painted portrait by a great artist can not be legitimately compared to a computer produced Blue Print.

ALL Best Wishes for ALL.

Last edited:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I think THAT is an unintelligent statement that probably fits the description of absurd.

How do YOU... KNOW that that are playing without feel? Only they know & can provide that information.

It is not appropriate to compare two totally different activities that 'require' completely different attributes.

An architect can do a hand drawn sketch or he can do a measured 'drawing'.

A painted portrait by a great artist can not be legitimately compared to a computer produced Blue Print.

ALL Best Wishes for ALL.

Aren't there some kids on your lawn you should be yelling at? I find your posts exhausting. To read AND to try to understand.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

I think we just do not see some things as being in the same realm or perhaps it is a language thing.

Calculation involve numbers. You say you will make calculations based off of a 1/2 ball hit.

I think you are playing more by feel than you realize.

You're not making calculations. Your'e making determinations based on past experiences with that situation.

That is 'feel' oriented based on a data base built on previous trial & error with successes & failures... namely experiences.

All Best Wishes for You & Yours.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your post and sharing information Allen and Dr. Dave. It is a privilege to have instructors post helpful information on AZB for those of us who do appreciate your knowledge and input.

I have learned quite a bit here since I joined that has helped my game and level of play. I hope those who are here to help do not get discouraged by those who are constantly looking for a reason to upset the conversation with personal feuds and childish behavior.

Go Warriors/Sharks !

-Kat,

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
In all the years I've played competitive pool, I never asked myself where the tangent line on any shot was. I also never asked myself what adjustment I had to make to make the cue ball veer off the tangent line at a particular point. That kind of stuff works well on paper and in the classroom, but when you're playing, you either know what to do or you don't. If you don't, you need to play more.

No matter how much you may need technicalities in your life, you can't calculate your way through a pool match. Well, you can try but don't expect great results.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The delusional factor is alive and well with you Rick. Shaun and Dave are definitely not the same person. Anyone who has "banned" under their screen name, put it there themselves. If you're really banned, you can't post. You'd think you would have figured that out by now, having been banned at least twice yourself. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Are you SpiderWeb.com?

You both have "Banned" under your names when you're not.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In all the years I've played competitive pool, I never asked myself where the tangent line on any shot was. I also never asked myself what adjustment I had to make to make the cue ball veer off the tangent line at a particular point. That kind of stuff works well on paper and in the classroom, but when you're playing, you either know what to do or you don't. If you don't, you need to play more.

No matter how much you may need technicalities in your life, you can't calculate your way through a pool match. Well, you can try but don't expect great results.

I and I am sure many here would agree with your statement once you get to a certain level after you spend thousands of hours playing.

However knowing this information and actively using it will greatly reduce the time it takes to learn it and for it to become that "feel" you just do naturally.

Shooting games is the absolute slowest and worse way to improve your game. Doing drills and learning the physics by repetitive work is the best and quickest way to learn every aspect of it.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Scott,

What would you prefer to believe, that there are only two people that many multiple accounts that disagree with you, or many people that do?

The delusional factor is alive and well with you Rick. Shaun and Dave are definitely not the same person. Anyone who has "banned" under their screen name, put it there themselves. If you're really banned, you can't post. You'd think you would have figured that out by now, having been banned at least twice yourself. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I always enjoyed watching Bob Ross's system myself.