The cte controversy

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you are happy he got banned, nice guy you are.

I saw him posting in NPR and there didn't seem to be any obvious reason at all for the ban. I figured he was just getting his feet wet in the aiming forum. I'm sure he'll survive.

Scarlett0Hara

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Consistent ball pocketing skills can be developed through a variety of different aiming methods. In other words, with enough practice you can become a great shot maker using any aiming method. But straight pool involves much more than simply pocketing balls. It's pattern play, position play, dealing with clusters, reading the rack, etc... Pocketing balls is the easy part.

No C player is going to miraculously run anymore than 14 to 28 balls on any high run. If so, they're a B player, not C. There are just too many combined skills that must be coordinated, and C players lack consistency in those skills, which is why they're not yet B players.

llets drop the C player thing...

in my opinion, the less stress/pressure you have on your shoulders during a run or game the odds are you will be more successful usually/hopefully, you can focus more on the other things you mention and less on the aim/shot routine, imo...

stans system is designed to put yourself into a systematic shot routine and help relieve the stress/pressure of aiming at 10 000+ angles and cutting it down to 5 or 6 visual shot setups to the left and the same for the right ….

It frees the mind up to focus more on the reading the rack, thinking ahead, etc making u a better player… sound legit to you?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
are you a pro1 user?

Nope. I know how to use it but learned to aim long ago. There are some tricks with various systems but ultimately you just see the shot.

CTE does simplify the aim by breaking it down into several discrete fractions that can be used repeatedly. The problem is that it complicates the process of getting down on the shot because it requires a pivot or sweep, which is another way to achieve the pivot. You have to vary the size of the sweep depending on how close your initial fractional aim (or call it a perception if you want) is to the correct line. So there is a trade off. "Aiming" arguably gets easier but sweeping/pivoting is a complication. This, I believe, is why it takes months of effort to make CTE work. It is really a PSR that makes you do the same thing every time which might help your brain learn the magnitude of the sweep required for each shot.

Flame away everybody!

Scarlett0Hara

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope. I know how to use it but learned to aim long ago. There are some tricks with various systems but ultimately you just see the shot.

CTE does simplify the aim by breaking it down into several discrete fractions that can be used repeatedly. The problem is that it complicates the process of getting down on the shot because it requires a pivot or sweep, which is another way to achieve the pivot. You have to vary the size of the sweep depending on how close your initial fractional aim (or call it a perception if you want) is to the correct line. So there is a trade off. "Aiming" arguably gets easier but sweeping/pivoting is a complication. This, I believe, is why it takes months of effort to make CTE work. It is really a PSR that makes you do the same thing every time which might help your brain learn the magnitude of the sweep required for each shot.

Flame away everybody!

ok, reading this post tells me you have a good idea of how the system works on paper and definitely not a user ..

.an advanced user of the system learns to step into the shot with an unnoticeable body pivot that becomes part of his shot routine which actually makes things easier, only a left or right pivot or inside/outside …. Your point is not valid one, sorry man

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
llets drop the C player thing...

in my opinion, the less stress/pressure you have on your shoulders during a run or game the odds are you will be more successful usually/hopefully, you can focus more on the other things you mention and less on the aim/shot routine, imo...

stans system is designed to put yourself into a systematic shot routine and help relieve the stress/pressure of aiming at 10 000+ angles and cutting it down to 5 or 6 visual shot setups to the left and the same for the right ….

It frees the mind up to focus more on the reading the rack, thinking ahead, etc making u a better player… sound legit to you?

It doesn't really doesn't sound legit to me, because there aren't 10000 angles to choose from. Experience narrows every shot down to just 2 or 3 angles to choose from, whichever looks right.

I do agree though that CTE provides a good psr that can help players become more consistent. But you can be a ball pocketing machine, either after enough practice with CTE, or after enough practice with any aiming method, and still not be able to clear more than a rack or two in 14.1 for a high run. There are other skills that must be consistent also.

Sure, once you become consistent and don't have to put so much effort into your aiming process, whatever it happens to be, you'll start developing better cb control, which will lead to higher runs. So I think you have a good point there, and it applies to any aiming method once a player develops consistency with it.

Scarlett0Hara

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't really doesn't sound legit to me, because there aren't 10000 angles to choose from. Experience narrows every shot down to just 2 or 3 angles to choose from, whichever looks right.

I do agree though that CTE provides a good psr that can help players become more consistent. But you can be a ball pocketing machine, either after enough practice with CTE, or after enough practice with any aiming method, and still not be able to clear more than a rack or two in 14.1 for a high run. There are other skills that must be consistent also.

Sure, once you become consistent and don't have to put so much effort into your aiming process, whatever it happens to be, you'll start developing better cb control, which will lead to higher runs. So I think you have a good point there, and it applies to any aiming method once a player develops consistency with it.

Pro1 is intended to make you see those 2 or more angles you speak of as soon as possible,its speeds up the learning process and give you a great fondation ... you get what im saying?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok, reading this post tells me you have a good idea of how the system works on paper and definitely not a user ..

.an advanced user of the system learns to step into the shot with an unnoticeable body pivot that becomes part of his shot routine which actually makes things easier, only a left or right pivot or inside/outside …. Your point is not valid one, sorry man

Aren't you just describing a visual sweep? After all, the eyes lead and the body follows. Your body pivot comes from the visual sweep, no?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pro1 is intended to make you see those 2 or more angles you speak of as soon as possible,its speeds up the learning process and give you a great fondation ... you get what im saying?

I absolutely get what you're saying. Pro1 is one way of doing it. HAMB is another. Ghostball is another. Fractional aiming is another. And so on...

The speed at which a player improves is directly related to table time, a visual and physical development that occurs with any aiming process. If you stick with anything long enough, really dedicate some table time, most players can become very good. Thousands of players have been proving this for decades.

Scarlett0Hara

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aren't you just describing a visual sweep? After all, the eyes lead and the body follows. Your body pivot comes from the visual sweep, no?

If I'm just standing looking at the curball, I know what pro1 shot selection/pivot/etc it will take to make a shot to all pockets at a glance pretty much, I will obviously only choose just one that I think is going to continue my run out,etc ...

you are describing stans teaching methods (words) , i can simply pick a pro1 shot selection and internally pivot into the shot and shoot which will be unnoticeable to you but routine to me it's that easy, no magic … I would be just another player to you if we were playing a game with each other, you would have no idea I was using pro1 unless I decided to do beginner pivots in front of you.

Last edited:

Scarlett0Hara

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I absolutely get what you're saying. Pro1 is one way of doing it. HAMB is another. Ghostball is another. Fractional aiming is another. And so on...

The speed at which a player improves is directly related to table time, a visual and physical development that occurs with any aiming process. If you stick with anything long enough, really dedicate some table time, most players can become very good. Thousands of players have been proving this for decades.

imo pro1 is the complete start to finnish package, it gives you a pre shot routine, the shot visuals, aiming fondation and it has a beauty of a banking system built in .... and no you dont need pro1 to be a pro pool player :)

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
imo pro1 is the complete start to finnish package, it gives you a pre shot routine, the shot visuals, aiming fondation and it has a beauty of a banking system built in .... and no you dont need pro1 to be a pro pool player :)

Really, "person who's account was created yesterday and has allready made 11 posts, 9 of which is praising CTE"? That's so interesting. I do appreciate that you dove straight into the CTE debate like someone who's been around for 20 years, no introduction or anything... It does save a lot of time, and looks so inconspicuous. It's never happened before either, completely novel approach I'd say.

..anyway...So what you're saying is that CTE has all I need to become a pro, if I only put 79.99 down? Explain to me how that banking system works, exactly? How do you account for humidity or other environmental factors to make every bank? How do you compensate for collision induced throw, objectballs proximity to the cushion, spin transfer, speed etc? Because I was under the impression that this took years to learn? No please, don't explain, we've heard it a million times before.

I'm sorry, this is too psychotic for me. We're really all going to go along with this nonsense of non-stop shill accounts? Are we going to pretend this isn't happening and not call Stan on this? You're going to argue with this obviously created shill account like it's some sort of interested student of the game or something? This is bullshit. Everybody knows it and it needs to be said. If that means I get banned forever, I'm ok with that. All my favourite posters are either dead or gone, anyway. Since 2006 I've been posting here, all that time put in, at least some of it was enjoyable, even constructive. But this aiming forum bs, man, I can't believe you guys are not fed up with it. I'm done, one way or another. You can't argue with psychotic bs. like 100s of shill accounts, doxxing, threats...DONE.

Last edited:

Scarlett0Hara

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really, "person who's account was created yesterday and has allready made 11 posts, 9 of which is praising CTE"? That's so interesting. I do appreciate that you dove straight into the CTE debate like someone who's been around for 20 years, no introduction or anything... It does save a lot of time, and looks so inconspicuous. It's never happened before either, completely novel approach I'd say.

..anyway...So what you're saying is that CTE has all I need to become a pro, if I only put 79.99 down? Explain to me how that banking system works, exactly? How do you account for humidity or other environmental factors to make every bank? How do you compensate for collision induced throw, objectballs proximity to the cushion, spin transfer, speed etc? Because I was under the impression that this took years to learn? No please, don't explain, we've heard it a million times before.

I'm sorry, this is too psychotic for me. We're really all going to go along with this nonsense of non-stop shill accounts? Are we going to pretend this isn't happening and not call Stan on this? You're going to argue with this obviously created shill account like it's some sort of interested student of the game or something? This is bullshit. Everybody knows it and it needs to be said. If that means I get banned forever, I'm ok with that. All my favourite posters are either dead or gone, anyway. Since 2006 I've been posting here, all that time put in, at least some of it was enjoyable, even constructive. But this aiming forum bs, man, I can't believe you guys are not fed up with it. I'm done, one way or another. You can't argue with psychotic bs. like 100s of shill accounts, doxxing, threats...DONE.

lol thinking you really should take a break from here, good luck ...

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Totally uncalled for post. This guy is doing nothing wrong but answering questions in a very polite manner.
We are fed up with people like you that just pop in to stir the shit.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Totally uncalled for post. This guy is doing nothing wrong but answering questions in a very polite manner.
We are fed up with people like you that just pop in to stir the shit.

100% correct!! Which is exactly why Scarlett0Hara is the new kid on the block who is going to drive the FAB5 and the hanger's on even further down the road to insanity. I can see some heads exploding with rage! LMAO

Their only hope is to try pissing him off so they can report the posts and lobby for a ban.

I love this guy!

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

So I guess Straightpool_99 is your real name, right? (never saw your real name posted) And you live in ? I never saw you or anyone else on the negative side whine and cry about shill accounts who do nothing but troll almost every single day AGAINST Cte. Why is that?

Unfortunately, you are NOT a man of your word and will come slithering back in here to continue what you've always done. You've said the same thing before and here you are once again.

DONE does not mean DONE as history has shown. The only question is how long will it take?

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
100% correct!! Which is exactly why Scarlett0Hara is the new kid on the block who is going to drive the FAB5 and the hanger's on even further down the road to insanity. I can see some heads exploding with rage! LMAO
Their only hope is to try pissing him off so they can report the posts and lobby for a ban.
I love this guy!
:thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2:
Scarlett really has the Grouchy Posse off their game.
I can just imagine the Grouchy Posse members now, sitting there for hours searching through old posts for a clue about Scarlett so they can report for "cheating on the rules" or anything they can think of to try and get him banned from this place.
They remind me of the hall monitors back in high school....all set to rat out someone to the teach for not being in class. (they never realized that the girls were laughing at them for being sissy britches)
Life in a pool room:smile:...…….sometimes it can be glorious.
15-30-45-60 with Pro1......makes every shot on a pool table (even for a level C player like me). They can never ever stop it.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, you are NOT a man of your word and will come slithering back in here to continue what you've always done. You've said the same thing before and here you are once again.
DONE does not mean DONE as history has shown. The only question is how long will it take?
:thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2: