I have a crazy question about installing tips.

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have some 13mm tips and all of my shafts are 13mm - supposed to be 13mm by the company specs. I'll buy some calipers tomorrow to verify. My question is, will 13mm tips fit correctly or do I need 14mm tips to cut down? I live in Costa Rica and my cue guy here says the 13mm are too small so insists on selling me more expensive tips to install. Although he did install a 13mm tip at one time. Which is right? Thank you in advance for your consideration. Any help will be appreciated.

John

Redneck Jim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have some 13mm tips and all of my shafts are 13mm - supposed to be 13mm by the company specs. I'll buy some calipers tomorrow to verify. My question is, will 13mm tips fit correctly or do I need 14mm tips to cut down? I live in Costa Rica and my cue guy here says the 13mm are too small so insists on selling me more expensive tips to install. Although he did install a 13mm tip at one time. Which is right? Thank you in advance for your consideration. Any help will be appreciated.

John
As long as the tip is centered, I see no problems.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To make it perfect it is better to have a tip that is larger than the ferrule.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Most single layer, or one piece tips, the dia. is not concentrically circular. Even when using a centering tool, if the tip is oval shaped....Meaning that a 13mm tip may not fit a 13mm ferrule all the way around and you may experience a situation where the ferrule sticks up higher than the tip edge in some areas of the circumference. Hence using a 13.5mm tip for a 13mm ferrule as it gives some extra to trim and make it flush. A lot of single layer tips now offer .5mm larger sizes but most multi-layered tips only offer 14mm, so......
Dave

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Sometimes it is necessary to reinstall a tip that has popped off........ (I didn't put it on)............. measure the ferrule and make a hole in a 1 inch piece of delrin rod the exact same size and about 1/2 in deep...... face the ferrule and sand the tip................. put the tip in the delrin hole ......... put your glue on the ferrule and press the tip on ..................... perfectly centered and the glue will not stick to the delrin.............

Kim

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Sometimes it is necessary to reinstall a tip that has popped off........ (I didn't put it on)............. measure the ferrule and make a hole in a 1 inch piece of delrin rod the exact same size and about 1/2 in deep...... face the ferrule and sand the tip................. put the tip in the delrin hole ......... put your glue on the ferrule and press the tip on ..................... perfectly centered and the glue will not stick to the delrin.............

Kim

That ^ except I use painters tape. Wrap it around the ferrule with just a ledge sticking above, so that it locates the tip to the center. It won't be as rigid as Kim's idea, so you have to be careful not to force it off center.

Your tip guy is not trying to rip you off. He is correct that a 14mm tip is best for a 13mm shaft. It gives him working room to do a good job.....without having to go through the pain of lining everything up on center. If you had only 13mm tips available, it can be done. But if possible you should always go for the 14mm.

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to everyone for their input. Looks like I'll need 14mm tips to be on the safe side.