New 9' Diamond For Home...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
A few comments:

1. Diamond has the Pro/Am, the Professional, and the Paragon, in the commercial space. They all play exactly the same, as the under-the-hood stuff is the same on all 3. 99% of the Diamonds you will see are the Pro/Am. Make sure you see pictures of both the Pro/Am and the Professional, because aesthetically, they are completely different.

2. The Professional can be ordered with rounded corners, or 45 deg corners. Both give a different look.

3. The Professional can be ordered with 2 different leg types. Both give a different look.

4. All of the tables can be ordered with or without the big Diamond logo engraved into the end.

5. The main difference in play between a GC and a Diamond, is how the balls react off of the rails, and how the pockets accept the ball. You will have to find a Diamond for yourself to see if you like these two characteristics more/less than a GC.

6. The shelf on a Diamond is much deeper than a GC. So, a 4.5" pocket on a Diamond plays much tougher than a 4.5" pocket on a GC.

7. Diamond tables can all be ordered in 3 different pocket sizes. "Pro-Cut" is their standard pocket at 4.5". This is what all of the tournaments are played on. "League Cut" is bigger at about 5.0" and is a special order. They also have a tighter cut, I forget the exact name, usually ordered by one pocket players. Its about 4 3/8" if memory serves me.

8. GC tables from the factory measure 5.0" at the corner pockets. If you were in a "player's" room in the 80s, the owner may have had shims added to some or all of the tables. A "double shim" GC, common for 9 ball gambling, was about 4.75". A "triple shim" GC, common for 1 pocket gambling, was about 4.5".

Good luck and have fun.

As far as a your reasonable price claim, I don't know if I entirely agree with that - $5,500 for a 7-footer and likely at least $1,000 more for each foot bigger than that. Many of us may not consider that reasonable, even for a commercial table.

I don't really agree with that, demand for the Diamond tables far outweighs Diamonds ability to produce them, therefore someone must not feel they're to high priced. The only time you hear anyone complaining about the price of something in this industry...is from Americans who always seem to feel they should be able to buy cheap and sell high if anyone wants their business. Same thing happens in the cloth industry. You're not going to get a Rolls Royce for the price of a Volkswagen.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really agree with that, demand for the Diamond tables far outweighs Diamonds ability to produce them, therefore someone must not feel they're to high priced. The only time you hear anyone complaining about the price of something in this industry...is from Americans who always seem to feel they should be able to buy cheap and sell high if anyone wants their business. Same thing happens in the cloth industry. You're not going to get a Rolls Royce for the price of a Volkswagen.
I agree totally. I guess I'm just thinking about in comparison to the used table market. You can likely find a used Gold Crown in good condition for probably 1/3 or even less than the price of a new Diamond or a new Gold Crown. No question, if you want the best and you want it new, you have to pay for it.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As far as a your reasonable price claim regarding a new Diamond, I don't know if I entirely agree with that - $5,500+ for a 7-footer and likely at least $1,500 more for each foot bigger than that. Many of us may not consider that reasonable, even for a commercial table.

Your prices are high. My brand new 9’ diamond pro-am was nowhere near your price. They’re definitely more expensive that gold crowns, but let’s not go crazy.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your prices are high. My brand new 9’ diamond pro-am was nowhere near your price. They’re definitely more expensive that gold crowns, but let’s not go crazy.
So you got a new 9-foot Diamond Pro-Am for less than 7K? Did that include delivery and installation, or not? Thanks

Now that I think about it, I may have been off on my prices, as I paid $5,500 for a 7-foot pro-am Smart table direct from Diamond, but it was a smart coin-op / bill accepter ball return, which I'm sure adds at least $500+ compared to the price of a drop pocket model without the Smart coin-op features.

Last edited:

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as a your reasonable price claim regarding a new Diamond, I don't know if I entirely agree with that - $5,500+ for a 7-footer and likely at least $1,500 more for each foot bigger than that. Many of us may not consider that reasonable, even for a commercial table.
I should have specified that I was only comparing prices on new commercial-quality pool tables. In that category, I found Diamond to be competitively priced, especially compared to a Gold Crown, which is closer to $10k brand new. Olhausen's tournament table is comparable in price, but I'd rather have the Diamond.

You are correct in saying that there are plenty of deals to be had on used tables, but it can be a risky proposition to buy an old Gold Crown unless you have a qualified tech that can tell you what kind of shape it's in. Buying a used Diamond is probably a safer bet, especially if you can find a blue label Diamond so you know it's fairly new. Even then, it sounds like the OP has the budget for a new table, so I would say it's worth the extra money to get exactly what they want along with the peace of mind that comes with a new table installation.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow! What a wealth of knowledge and opinions that are available from this Forum!

I really appreciate all the well thought-out replies and the level of detail behind an opinion. There are a lot of good suggestions here, and fortunately I have some time before I can take delivery of the table.

Last month the contractor pushed completion from the end of this month to the end of August. (Given we don't have any Sheetrock up yet, that's probably a good idea.) So, I'll have until September at least before we'll be ready for delivery and installation.

I'm sure they'll have some Diamonds around town; I'll have to get out and see how they play.

Again, thanks to those who have taken time to respond.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So you got a new 9-foot Diamond Pro-Am for less than 7K? Did that include delivery and installation, or not? Thanks

Now that I think about it, I may have been off on my prices, as I paid $5,500 for a 7-foot pro-am Smart table direct from Diamond, but it was a smart coin-op / bill accepter ball return, which I'm sure adds at least $500+ compared to the price of a drop pocket model without the Smart coin-op features.

Yes. I paid under 8k (Which was the price quoted to me for the table alone by a diamond certified dealer) for the table, tax, delivery/install to Florida, new aramith balls, polisher, cue rack, cues, leather cover, plus more accessories I’m probably forgetting.

Now I’m in the market for a diamond bar table in the greater Phoenix area!

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
With that budget, even $10,000 is enough to get a restored Gold Crown or Anniversary depending on the look you are going for...or a Diamond of any sort. No need to spend more than that on a good table.

Exactly

I got a gc2 for 2k installed locally

i can get a new 9ft hollywood carom table from vietnam to my door for 3300
and will if i could ever sell my 10ft soren sogaard

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly

If they are made to the same quality as their pocket tables, I would not take one for free.

Are the carom tables actually good?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
If they are made to the same quality as their pocket tables, I would not take one for free.

Played fine enough for european champ sam van etten when he visited kents club in viet
Sam ran hundreds of point per inning
So im certain theyd be fine for my level of play

I dont know how a carom table can play bad as long as the cloth is put on correct and the nose height is correct
Should be fine

I have heard about the pool tables from others like you say

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have a carom one and it is a beast. Steel girder supports for a granite bed that makes a pool table slate feel like a chalkboard.

One person is not moving them slabs out of a house alone, without some purpose-built tools.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i am a very good player but for home i prefer bigger pockets as they make shooting more fun and also at home a table is a piece of furniture. so i want one that fits in.

my home table is fun and not something i buy to test my ability and try to get me a little better. if you can shoot well on bigger pockets then you can shoot well on small ones.
if you cant adjust you arent ever going to get good, just because you practice on tight pockets that spit the balls out or hang them up and be frustrating.

with a big budget i would get an anniversary as it fits in most homes decor and plays as good as any table made. and will hold 100% of its value if that matter to you.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I appreciate the thoughts and comments. Looks like another month delay on the rebuild/remodel, so I’m still looking. Will be end of Oct to get back in, so I’ll not be needing a table before November.

Paragon and Anniversary (9 foot versions) are both in the running at this point.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For what it's worth I was in your situation in the late 90's. I had my mind set on getting a restored Brunswick Anniversary but kept hearing the Diamond buzz.

A group of us were making our annual pilgrimage to the US Open so I put my decision off until I got back home. In the 90's the Open was still played on GC IVs I decided to ask as many Pros as I could their opinion . 90% or better said Diamond in fact the only one I can remember who did not say Diamond was Nick Varner his reply was " No matter what table you pick they are all like snowflakes , no two tables play alike "

I came home and ordered a 9ft Diamond , the only thing I changed on it was in 2013 I had my red label converted by Diamond to a Blue label. I have never regretted or 2nd guessed going with Diamond.

Not picking on you Frank but if you would have bought a GC4 you wouldn’t have needed to convert your table to a blue label. But then again you now have a new style table and don’t have to start over. Red labels are pure GAFFE tables.

As new tables go, Diamonds are the best thing going. I regularly play on 4 1/8 corner blue labels and like the tightness for 1P, although sometimes it’s frustrating. I also occasionally play on a 4.5” shimmed GC4. I find it plays very close to the Blue label with a very small adjustment on banking.

I think the Diamond ProAm even with the 45 degree corner looks like an ugly square box. The Professional looks the best:)

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly

I’m still thinking about your Soren but I won’t have room for it for another year.

bstroud

Deceased
Like you I played on GC sine they came out in 1959.
The original ones were tight. They loosened up the pockets for the next generation because people complained.

Five years ago I bought a new Diamond Professional Blue label with 4 1/4" to 4 3/8 " pockets. It was the correct choice for a home table.

I used to practice with Wimpy in Norfolk and he told me to practice on lose tables and gamble on tight tables.

His reasoning was that if you practiced on real tight tables you would never develop the confidence to be a shooter and just free roll.

He was right.

I have my table for sale now as I cant't play much anymore.
It is Cherry stained maple and has only been covered twice. I am the only one to play on it.

Bill S.

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think depending on what tables are local to you, that's the route to take.

For my son, 90% of tournaments he plays on are Diamonds and that became his dream table. Dream turned to reality, just took me a little time and luck.