List of Best American Pool Players

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
This has to be the most bizarre post I've ever read on here. I have no idea what this person is talking about, none, nada, zero.
Jason

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This post has the feel of an April Fools Day post.

Alcano above Mosconi? I nearly fell off my chair when I read that! A recent thread used Alcano as the perfect example of a might-have been great player whose talents seem to dwarf his accomplishments.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Vote for your favorite.
Over 50 Listed.

https://www.thetoptens.com/best-american-pool-players/

***This is not my list! I am just listing the link!***

:withstupid:My bad for the wrong title.....”Best People Playing American Pool”

Here are the top ones.....

Efren Reyes - The Magician
Out of this list, Efren is head and shoulders above the rest. He has got to be the all around best player ever to have played the game. Where Earl would probably get the 9 ball as an individual sport, Mosconi the 14.1 individual leader etc... Efren would be all around champion.+89
Efren revolutionized how the game is played at the highest level, that's why he is the greatest. He is arguably the greatest kickshot and safety player all time. His ingenuity at the pool table is what makes him so entertaining to watch. During his heyday he was undoubtedly the most popular figure in the pool scene and to this day many refer to him as the Greatest All-Around Pool Player the game has ever seen. Reyes' impeccable shot selection and excellent cue ball control is mindbogglingly ridiculous to witness. No other player in recent memory has been able to duplicate his mastery of game and achievements at the pro avenue. But most of all what separates him apart from his contemporaries is his humility and respect that people simply gravitate towards him as he embodies the truest form of a world class phenom, legend and gentlemen of the sport.+34
Reyes was The One who teach the world how to play pool, no one else. When he went international, the players who thought that they were already at pinnacle of pool playing technique suddenly became amateurs.+45
Efren, to me is the best and the most fun to watch. There are a lot of great players but I agree with others here that, overall, he's the best. Also like others have pointed out, his humility is a huge plus for me as I'm old school and prefer a quiet winner/champion. Some find "The Mouth", with his incessant talking, more entertaining but I find his "banter" completely annoying and would much rather watch a guy who's quietly, consistently great. Give me the guy who acts as though he's been in the winner's circle before every time, thank you.+3

Ron Dooley
Ron "just like that" Dooley is the best money player I've seen+301
Trick shots all over Facebook and you tube+281
In my opinion THE BEST!+246
Seen him run many racks over 100 and great trick shot artist
Billiard instructor also
8 ball champion!+180

Shane Van Boening
Will go down as the greatest pool player ever. Efren was the greatest until SVB came along.+1
Best in the USA as far as I'm concerned. He's proven this by being atop the money won board.
Best ever? My nod goes to Mosconi. Too bad there's no time machine for them to match up.+11
Great player
No one on this list could beat Shane at any billiard game. The real test is a deep race, no one on this planet would even challenge Shane. Believe me offers have been presented... Ask the Greeks!+3

Earl Strickland - The Pearl
Ernie is a extremely strong player in central Virginianew
Ernie is very tough player. But he is a short stop. Bank pool is his game+4
I saw Earl beat Ernie Allen from Va. He gave Earl a run for his money pretty tough player - Tylaha+9
He is the best and my idol

Johnny Archer - The Scorpion
Johnny the Scorpion from Georgia is an amazing player and definitely a role-model for many aspiring players in this sport. - georgefemic+8
The best.
Not just one of the best players of today but also an amazing person to the fans.great guy
Recently I met that legendary guy in Thetford Mines, Québec,
And he signed my cherry wood hand made cue case.
I was very honored to discuss with him and he will be back in may
For the "ARCHER CUP"and I hope he will win the tournament.
Good luck Johnny!+2

Mika Immonen - The Ice Man
Mika Immonen, the Ice Man from Finland is one of the most talented players in this sport. With his amazing technique and stroke, he is in the high end elite. - georgefemic
I love his game I learnt a lot from him
Aggressive style of offensive game

Francisco Bustamante
One of the best ever players to hail from the Philippines. His monstrous break and dexterity combined with his humbleness is what makes him appealing to the public. Bustamante has the credentials to back up his claim as the second most popular figure coming from the Philippines and in my opinion the 2nd best player all time in the country right after the greatest himself, Efren Reyes.+1
One of the best ever. Very powerful break. His unique stroke. A World champion+2
Another legend from the Philippines! - georgefemic+1
Smooth as silk+1

Darren Appleton
Great player Fantastic
He never gives in. He is mentally strong, he doesn't know when he's beat. He will get even better with time. A legend in the making.+2
Easy Darren has come in and won everything he is the new Efren beating all those americans on their home soil at their own game
Darren is a pleasure to watch. Smooth stroke and quality cue ball control. Very humble guy as well.

Alex Pagulayan
Fantastic player and very entertaining. Every tournament he enters he is in the final eight almost guaranteed
3 time Canadian Snooker Champion as well...no one on this list could ever do that.
The most entertaining and talented individual the sport has ever seen. This small guy is the most dangerous player when it counts the most. He has had numerous titles under his belt namely, the US Open 9 Ball Championship, World 9 Ball Championship, and the first ever player to hold titles in all disciplines in the annual Derby City Classics (9-ball banks, 9-ball, one-pocket). He is the third most popular player coming from the Philippines and one of the best ever to played the game of pool.
I consider Alex to be one of the best right after Efren due to the way he plays the game. He's a good all around player but don't let him have fun, keep him frustrated because once he starts to enjoy the game that's when he becomes unstoppable. If only he would dedicate his self to the game more he can surely become the next Magician.

Ronato Alcano
Who.+1
Watched him beat the 10 ball ghost on a 10’ (Bigfoot ) diamond, and it’s not close+2

The Contenders
Ralf Souquet
Very composed and tactical
Top notch player and a great guy.+2

Thorsten Hohmann
Great player!
The best of all of them in today's games. Almost a sure thing to win the Straight Pool Championship every year
A great person as well as great pool player.+1
Hitman

Willie Mosconi
How this guy isn't number one is beyond me. 526 shots in a row 15 time world championship and made legendary pool player Minnesota fats look like an amateur!
Who else has run 526 balls?+1
The greatest of all time watch him play in Brockton Ma in the 60's.+1
Willie best ever+1

Skyler Woodward
A cool young man. I just saw him play Hixson Tennessee. He was nice to everybody+1
Having just won MVP in the Mosconi Cup 2018, this youngster is moving on up the ladder. I hope to see him in the top 10 soon!
He is awesome
Skyler is the best all around guy. Started as a junior and still show his appearance at the junior leagues for the kids. In my opinion Sky is the limit for this kid.

Mike Sigel
Mike (Captain Hook) Sigel is without a doubt the greatest nine ball player ever in my opinion. Besides being the greatest player, his talking and bantor duing his matches is awesome and entertaining. I've been playing for about 20 years now. He was and is my favorite of all time. His instructional tapes inspired me when I first started playing and (The Captain) will always be my favorite player EVER! Thank you Mke Sigel for all the great matches that I've had the privilege of watching.
For Sigel not to be at the top of the list is absolutely inexcusable. He is the best player of all time and no one could touch him in his prime.+1
Simply put the all-time best+1
Yes he's the best in the late 80'S

Mike Dechaine
Mike Dechaine is one of the strongest players in pool in the world at the time. The fact that he's number 14 on this list is literally insulting. How many times have we watched him not only beat, but literally own many of the people above him on this list? I mean he drives Earl Strickland crazy because he can't beat him. And I'm sure some of you going to say the same things that Earl says, take away the jump cues and let's play on the ten foot table with no side pockets or some imaginary game that doesn't exist. Well the reality is that's not the game and that's not the game everyone else is playing either. How mini mosconi Cup appearances has he made in the last 6 years? Him Shane Van boening and a couple others are the strongest American players in the world bar none.+1
One of the best players today+5
I played with Mike, as cocky and arrogant as he is, he is the most gifted I've seen, completely natural, if I didn't know better I'd think he had telekinesis controlling the balls with his mind... and at his age.. I believe he'll eventually climb the chart to #1
One of the best pool players to this day+2

Ronnie O'Sullivan
Not enough people here in the states know him or can appreciate how talented he really is
#1 Snooker player in the world, and probably the most talented pool player of today.+1
He has by far the best natural talent with a cue... he is far superior playing snooker than any of these names on the list. He doesn't really care about pool. You Americans watch his 5 minute 147 on youtube and you will see how good he is.
Ron O'Sullivan is amazing and is #1 in today's time+1

Dennis Orcollo
Fundamentals are super strong. He has no fear, he knows he going to make the ball.+1
Best Money player in the world currently.+1
Best player on the planet ought to be on the list.
On any given day!

Trolls, with all this food....WE have a fat one.

Attachments

• 7a1f814a1f4f012fa01fbca656dc85d3.jpg
    7a1f814a1f4f012fa01fbca656dc85d3.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,217

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Vote for your favorite.
Over 50 Listed.

https://www.thetoptens.com/best-american-pool-players/

***This is not my list! I am just listing the link!***

:withstupid:My bad for the wrong title.....”Best People Playing American Pool”

Here are the top ones.....

Efren Reyes - The Magician
Out of this list, Efren is head and shoulders above the rest. He has got to be the all around best player ever to have played the game. Where Earl would probably get the 9 ball as an individual sport, Mosconi the 14.1 individual leader etc... Efren would be all around champion.+89
Efren revolutionized how the game is played at the highest level, that's why he is the greatest. He is arguably the greatest kickshot and safety player all time. His ingenuity at the pool table is what makes him so entertaining to watch. During his heyday he was undoubtedly the most popular figure in the pool scene and to this day many refer to him as the Greatest All-Around Pool Player the game has ever seen. Reyes' impeccable shot selection and excellent cue ball control is mindbogglingly ridiculous to witness. No other player in recent memory has been able to duplicate his mastery of game and achievements at the pro avenue. But most of all what separates him apart from his contemporaries is his humility and respect that people simply gravitate towards him as he embodies the truest form of a world class phenom, legend and gentlemen of the sport.+34
Reyes was The One who teach the world how to play pool, no one else. When he went international, the players who thought that they were already at pinnacle of pool playing technique suddenly became amateurs.+45
Efren, to me is the best and the most fun to watch. There are a lot of great players but I agree with others here that, overall, he's the best. Also like others have pointed out, his humility is a huge plus for me as I'm old school and prefer a quiet winner/champion. Some find "The Mouth", with his incessant talking, more entertaining but I find his "banter" completely annoying and would much rather watch a guy who's quietly, consistently great. Give me the guy who acts as though he's been in the winner's circle before every time, thank you.+3

Ron Dooley
Ron "just like that" Dooley is the best money player I've seen+301
Trick shots all over Facebook and you tube+281
In my opinion THE BEST!+246
Seen him run many racks over 100 and great trick shot artist
Billiard instructor also
8 ball champion!+180

Shane Van Boening
Will go down as the greatest pool player ever. Efren was the greatest until SVB came along.+1
Best in the USA as far as I'm concerned. He's proven this by being atop the money won board.
Best ever? My nod goes to Mosconi. Too bad there's no time machine for them to match up.+11
Great player
No one on this list could beat Shane at any billiard game. The real test is a deep race, no one on this planet would even challenge Shane. Believe me offers have been presented... Ask the Greeks!+3

Earl Strickland - The Pearl
Ernie is a extremely strong player in central Virginianew
Ernie is very tough player. But he is a short stop. Bank pool is his game+4
I saw Earl beat Ernie Allen from Va. He gave Earl a run for his money pretty tough player - Tylaha+9
He is the best and my idol

Johnny Archer - The Scorpion
Johnny the Scorpion from Georgia is an amazing player and definitely a role-model for many aspiring players in this sport. - georgefemic+8
The best.
Not just one of the best players of today but also an amazing person to the fans.great guy
Recently I met that legendary guy in Thetford Mines, Québec,
And he signed my cherry wood hand made cue case.
I was very honored to discuss with him and he will be back in may
For the "ARCHER CUP"and I hope he will win the tournament.
Good luck Johnny!+2

Mika Immonen - The Ice Man
Mika Immonen, the Ice Man from Finland is one of the most talented players in this sport. With his amazing technique and stroke, he is in the high end elite. - georgefemic
I love his game I learnt a lot from him
Aggressive style of offensive game

Francisco Bustamante
One of the best ever players to hail from the Philippines. His monstrous break and dexterity combined with his humbleness is what makes him appealing to the public. Bustamante has the credentials to back up his claim as the second most popular figure coming from the Philippines and in my opinion the 2nd best player all time in the country right after the greatest himself, Efren Reyes.+1
One of the best ever. Very powerful break. His unique stroke. A World champion+2
Another legend from the Philippines! - georgefemic+1
Smooth as silk+1

Darren Appleton
Great player Fantastic
He never gives in. He is mentally strong, he doesn't know when he's beat. He will get even better with time. A legend in the making.+2
Easy Darren has come in and won everything he is the new Efren beating all those americans on their home soil at their own game
Darren is a pleasure to watch. Smooth stroke and quality cue ball control. Very humble guy as well.

Alex Pagulayan
Fantastic player and very entertaining. Every tournament he enters he is in the final eight almost guaranteed
3 time Canadian Snooker Champion as well...no one on this list could ever do that.
The most entertaining and talented individual the sport has ever seen. This small guy is the most dangerous player when it counts the most. He has had numerous titles under his belt namely, the US Open 9 Ball Championship, World 9 Ball Championship, and the first ever player to hold titles in all disciplines in the annual Derby City Classics (9-ball banks, 9-ball, one-pocket). He is the third most popular player coming from the Philippines and one of the best ever to played the game of pool.
I consider Alex to be one of the best right after Efren due to the way he plays the game. He's a good all around player but don't let him have fun, keep him frustrated because once he starts to enjoy the game that's when he becomes unstoppable. If only he would dedicate his self to the game more he can surely become the next Magician.

Ronato Alcano
Who.+1
Watched him beat the 10 ball ghost on a 10’ (Bigfoot ) diamond, and it’s not close+2

The Contenders
Ralf Souquet
Very composed and tactical
Top notch player and a great guy.+2

Thorsten Hohmann
Great player!
The best of all of them in today's games. Almost a sure thing to win the Straight Pool Championship every year
A great person as well as great pool player.+1
Hitman

Willie Mosconi
How this guy isn't number one is beyond me. 526 shots in a row 15 time world championship and made legendary pool player Minnesota fats look like an amateur!
Who else has run 526 balls?+1
The greatest of all time watch him play in Brockton Ma in the 60's.+1
Willie best ever+1

Skyler Woodward
A cool young man. I just saw him play Hixson Tennessee. He was nice to everybody+1
Having just won MVP in the Mosconi Cup 2018, this youngster is moving on up the ladder. I hope to see him in the top 10 soon!
He is awesome
Skyler is the best all around guy. Started as a junior and still show his appearance at the junior leagues for the kids. In my opinion Sky is the limit for this kid.

Mike Sigel
Mike (Captain Hook) Sigel is without a doubt the greatest nine ball player ever in my opinion. Besides being the greatest player, his talking and bantor duing his matches is awesome and entertaining. I've been playing for about 20 years now. He was and is my favorite of all time. His instructional tapes inspired me when I first started playing and (The Captain) will always be my favorite player EVER! Thank you Mke Sigel for all the great matches that I've had the privilege of watching.
For Sigel not to be at the top of the list is absolutely inexcusable. He is the best player of all time and no one could touch him in his prime.+1
Simply put the all-time best+1
Yes he's the best in the late 80'S

Mike Dechaine
Mike Dechaine is one of the strongest players in pool in the world at the time. The fact that he's number 14 on this list is literally insulting. How many times have we watched him not only beat, but literally own many of the people above him on this list? I mean he drives Earl Strickland crazy because he can't beat him. And I'm sure some of you going to say the same things that Earl says, take away the jump cues and let's play on the ten foot table with no side pockets or some imaginary game that doesn't exist. Well the reality is that's not the game and that's not the game everyone else is playing either. How mini mosconi Cup appearances has he made in the last 6 years? Him Shane Van boening and a couple others are the strongest American players in the world bar none.+1
One of the best players today+5
I played with Mike, as cocky and arrogant as he is, he is the most gifted I've seen, completely natural, if I didn't know better I'd think he had telekinesis controlling the balls with his mind... and at his age.. I believe he'll eventually climb the chart to #1
One of the best pool players to this day+2

Ronnie O'Sullivan
Not enough people here in the states know him or can appreciate how talented he really is
#1 Snooker player in the world, and probably the most talented pool player of today.+1
He has by far the best natural talent with a cue... he is far superior playing snooker than any of these names on the list. He doesn't really care about pool. You Americans watch his 5 minute 147 on youtube and you will see how good he is.
Ron O'Sullivan is amazing and is #1 in today's time+1

Dennis Orcollo
Fundamentals are super strong. He has no fear, he knows he going to make the ball.+1
Best Money player in the world currently.+1
Best player on the planet ought to be on the list.
On any given day!

How could Efren be rated above Ron (who's that) Dooley?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hustled pool for many years and still do every now and then , so anyone that would like to see me play just arrange a game or two !

Where in the hell do play pool out there in the hills?

I come thru there a couple times a year and you got 10-6 or the 7.