2 Questions Regarding Exceed Cues

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, can anyone who has played with both Exceed cue butts notice any difference between the way the cross power core butt technology construction they use for all their wrapped butts compares to the dual power core technology construction they use for all their wrapless butts, in terms of how it makes the cue hit / feel or play differently?

Secondly, could anyone who has used both, explain any difference in the wavy joint vs the united joint, in regards to how those two joint options offered for Exceed cues differ in how the cue feels or plays? All Exceed cues come with a wavy joint, but can be ordered with a united joint. Since they come standard with a wavy joint, I assume they've decided the wavy joint is the preferred hitting/feeling joint for Exceed cues, just as they apparently feel the EXPro shaft is the preferred playing shaft for Exceed cues and the Zan Plus M tip is the preferred tip to accompany any Exceed cue?

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, can anyone who has played with both Exceed cue butts notice any difference between the way the cross power core butt technology construction they use for all their wrapped butts compares to the dual power core technology construction they use for all their wrapless butts, in terms of how it makes the cue hit / feel or play differently?

Secondly, could anyone who has used both, explain any difference in the wavy joint vs the united joint, in regards to how those two joint options offered for Exceed cues differ in how the cue feels or plays? All Exceed cues come with a wavy joint, but can be ordered with a united joint. Since they come standard with a wavy joint, I assume they've decided the wavy joint is the preferred hitting/feeling joint for Exceed cues, just as they apparently feel the EXPro shaft is the preferred playing shaft for Exceed cues and the Zan Plus M tip is the preferred tip to accompany any Exceed cue?

I have owned both types, wrapless and with wrap, one with the Wavy joint and one with United Joint, and I can honestly not feel a difference, apart from one cue had a wrap and the other didn`t. I always prefer wrapless cues, you get more feedback.
I have written a big Mezz shaft thread, you can find some info there, you can also check out the Mezz cue fans on facebook, lots of talk about everything made by Miki on there.
My current player is a Mezz AXI-P with the Hybrid Pro II shaft, I like stiff hitting cues.
The AXI is a $500 ish cue and I can`t really tell the difference between Mezz and Exceed other than that the Exceeds have more inlays and detail.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned both types, wrapless and with wrap, one with the Wavy joint and one with United Joint, and I can honestly not feel a difference, apart from one cue had a wrap and the other didn`t. I always prefer wrapless cues, you get more feedback.
I have written a big Mezz shaft thread, you can find some info there, you can also check out the Mezz cue fans on facebook, lots of talk about everything made by Miki on there.
My current player is a Mezz AXI-P with the Hybrid Pro II shaft, I like stiff hitting cues.
The AXI is a $500 ish cue and I can`t really tell the difference between Mezz and Exceed other than that the Exceeds have more inlays and detail.
To clarify your first sentence, when you say you've owned both with a wrap and wrapless and both types of joints, are you referring to Mezz cues or Exceed cues? Yeah, I know they are both made by the same company.

I currently play with a Mezz MSP series cue with a EXPro shaft united joint shaft - same shaft that comes standard on Exceed cues, and I really like it. I have ordered a custom Exceed cue, wrapless plain, from my Mezz usa dealer, requesting a united joint, but will be waiting nearly 2 years to get it.

I got impatient and ordered an Exceed wrapless plain model from J&J last week, and it comes with a wavy joint and an EXPro shaft. Based on whether or not I decide I like the wavy joint vs the united joint, I may decide to change my custom ordered Exceed to a wavy joint, or not.

I do have a poolroom and sell cues, so I'll likely use this Exceed cue I just ordered until my custom Exceed arrives in 2020, then hopefully I'll sell it, unless I like them both so much I decide to hold on to both. Or, if I decide I still like my Mezz sneaky pete better, I may sell them both. Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To clarify your first sentence, when you say you've owned both with a wrap and wrapless and both types of joints, are you referring to Mezz cues or Exceed cues? Yeah, I know they are both made by the same company.

I currently play with a Mezz MSP series cue with a EXPro shaft united joint shaft - same shaft that comes standard on Exceed cues, and I really like it. I have ordered a custom Exceed cue, wrapless plain, from my Mezz usa dealer, requesting a united joint, but will be waiting nearly 2 years to get it.

I got impatient and ordered an Exceed wrapless plain model from J&J last week, and it comes with a wavy joint and an EXPro shaft. Based on whether or not I decide I like the wavy joint vs the united joint, I may decide to change my custom ordered Exceed to a wavy joint, or not.

I do have a poolroom and sell cues, so I'll likely use this Exceed cue I just ordered until my custom Exceed arrives in 2020, then hopefully I'll sell it, unless I like them both so much I decide to hold on to both. Or, if I decide I still like my Mezz sneaky pete better, I may sell them both. Thanks for your feedback!

I had a wrapless purpleheart/ebony with United Joint and a wrapped tulipwood with Wavy Joint and I`ve tried other Exceed cues and about every Mezz cue in all kinds of shaft/tip configurations.
2020 sounds about right, Miki has about 18 months lead time at the moment. The cues are amazing, so you want be disappointed.
Feel free to join our Mezz cue fans page on Facebook :smile:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a wrapless purpleheart/ebony with United Joint and a wrapped tulipwood with Wavy Joint and I`ve tried other Exceed cues and about every Mezz cue in all kinds of shaft/tip configurations.
2020 sounds about right, Miki has about 18 months lead time at the moment. The cues are amazing, so you want be disappointed.
Feel free to join our Mezz cue fans page on Facebook :smile:
Just got my wrapless Exceed purple heart / macassar ebony wavy joint cue last Friday. No, this is not the one I ordered through mezzusa 2 months ago, but is one J&J currently had in stock, as I didn't want to wait 2 years. The Exceed custom cue I ordered, wrapless bocote / macassar ebony, is 60" - an inch extra long butt and shaft, which was certainly not available from J&J.

So far I love it, as I added a 2-inch butt extender to make it 60". Yes, it does feel slightly different than the Mezz MSP with a EXPro shaft I'd been using, also with a 2" butt extension, but only took me a short time to adjust to. When I asked Caroline at Mezzusa the difference between the hit/feel of the wavy joint vs the united joint, she said the wavy joint may have a slightly softer hit than the united joint, which makes sense.

Cross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my experience, there is little to no difference in the feedback between a united joint and a wavy joint. There is also very little difference in the feedback between wrapped and wrapless. The tip will make more difference in feel. I was also able to compare a wrapped , united joint , 59 inch exceed vs a standard length exceed wrapless with united joint and the wrapless felt just a little better. For similar jointed exceeds, i interchange the shafts so as to isolate the comparison for butt only.

The big difference came when I compared a plain ec7 wrapless united joint with the exceed wrapless united joint. I interchanged the shafts on each butt and the exceed is heads and shoulders superior in terms of hit and resonance

Personally , I prefer the united joint on the exceed because it gives me more chances to find a heavier shaft without ordering the sws shaft system. I noticed that the exceeds I have tried are designed very light and tend to be on the more back weighted to not quite neutral balanced ( Less than 18.5 inch balance point) side and I like to get as close to 19inch balance point as I can.

I think Mezz is pushing the wavy joint just because it is their proprietary joint system and does not really mean anything detrimental to the united joint

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my experience, there is little to no difference in the feedback between a united joint and a wavy joint. There is also very little difference in the feedback between wrapped and wrapless. The tip will make more difference in feel. I was also able to compare a wrapped , united joint , 59 inch exceed vs a standard length exceed wrapless with united joint and the wrapless felt just a little better. For similar jointed exceeds, i interchange the shafts so as to isolate the comparison for butt only.

The big difference came when I compared a plain ec7 wrapless united joint with the exceed wrapless united joint. I interchanged the shafts on each butt and the exceed is heads and shoulders superior in terms of hit and resonance

Personally , I prefer the united joint on the exceed because it gives me more chances to find a heavier shaft without ordering the sws shaft system. I noticed that the exceeds I have tried are designed very light and tend to be on the more back weighted to not quite neutral balanced ( Less than 18.5 inch balance point) side and I like to get as close to 19inch balance point as I can.

I think Mezz is pushing the wavy joint just because it is their proprietary joint system and does not really mean anything detrimental to the united joint
Sounds like you're very knowledgeable on this topic. I must say that at least in my mind, the way the big long pin on that wavy joint Exceed butt screws so deeply and tightly in to the ExPro wavy shaft, one would think it surely must play a little more solidly and a little more like a one-piece design than the united joint system.

Cross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you're very knowledgeable on this topic. I must say that at least in my mind, the way the big long pin on that wavy joint Exceed butt screws so deeply and tightly in to the ExPro wavy shaft, one would think it surely must play a little more solidly and a little more like a one-piece design than the united joint system.

In my opinion , the united joint system does a well enough job. its just a matter of preference :) its just that our current era maybe equates hit quality with a big pin and threads directly into the shaft probably because of the popularity of SW cues lol. But a few years ago ( and until now) , some of the most highly regarded and valuable cues have a steel joint and piloted inserts inside the shafts similar to the united joint

However, if wavy is your preference, you cant go wrong either. Just get whichever you want and im sure you will end up satisfied :)

Last edited:

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Have you tried united ?

I used to think so till i tried both joints and i owned a couple mezz and exceed in united and wavvy.

Oh boy , if you are looking for a one piece super tight screw-on feel , the united joint is the one to go , united joint is actually mezz proprietary joint.
It is super tight and i feel it delivers a stiffer hit than the wavvy joint.
I wwas really dismayed at how a small little phewny pin can screw so tight !

However the wavvy joint gives a better feedback .
Just my opinion :)

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member

It's no different from comparing a 3/8-10 vs 5/16-14. United is a little harder, the wavy has more feedback.

Someone brought up the point about the getting a heavier shaft as exceed tends to be even balanced or slightly more back balanced. that is true but you can request for a heavier shaft if that helps.

EX Pro is nothing more than just a premium option to distinguish exceed from the regular range. end of the day,you put whatever shaft you want according to your needs – for eg, a plain maple shaft on an exceed feels really really good and is the best hitting option; mezz's maple stock is excellent. the expro sits in between the wx900/hp2 and alpha/wx700 in terms of how it plays and feels, but with excellent low deflection properties. its not everyone's bag of tea though but personally i like it.

the butt construction thing doesnt mean much. they all play about the same. you are not giving up anything when you choose one over the other. its just a matter of preference for a wrap or no wrap

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried united ?

I used to think so till i tried both joints and i owned a couple mezz and exceed in united and wavvy.

Oh boy , if you are looking for a one piece super tight screw-on feel , the united joint is the one to go , united joint is actually mezz proprietary joint.
It is super tight and i feel it delivers a stiffer hit than the wavvy joint.
I wwas really dismayed at how a small little phewny pin can screw so tight !

However the wavvy joint gives a better feedback .
Just my opinion :)
Thanks for you input, and yes, I now have tried them both as I currently own both - a united joint EXPro shaft on my Mezz butt, and a wavy joint EXPro shaft on my Exceed butt. I believe I prefer the slightly less stiffer hit of the wavy joint, but that opinion could potentially be influenced by the fact that I spent nearly 3 times the $$ on the Exceed wavy vs the Mezz united. Bottom line, with the same EXPro shaft, they feel very similar and I love them both.

Last edited: