Needing opinions on Schmelke laminated shaft!

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm needing to find a low cost replacement shaft for my cue with some specific specs. I emailed Schmelke about a laminated radial, 12mm, extended pro taper shaft with a Kamui black soft tip and their XTC 1/2" "LD" ferrule. They can get me that shaft for around $100. Just wondering how this would compare to something like an off the shelf shaft like HXT or something which is still slightly more expensive???

Thanks!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

sixwillwin

King of the Meadow
Silver Member
i have that a Schmelke laminated shaft with the short LD ferrule and pro taper, tip is 12.2 mm. I have it on one their beautiful Bocote butts. It was my main player for the past year. I also have a Players HXT shaft and this schmelke is lower LD i believe and hits better, more firm and crisp? I have 2 complaints about it, the joint diameter is .870 which is huge , so make sure it fits whatever you putting it on or better yet, ask for a specific joint diameter when ordering it. The other is the wood grain keeps getting discolored on the end of the shaft near the tip, about 8 inches or so. I can get it professionally cleaned and it starts getting darker and and darker in that area within a few weeks of shooting, not sure why, doesnt affect it i dont think, just never had that before with other shafts.( i am NOT talking about bluing, this is the wood grain itself getting very dark and pronounced. )
All in all a great playing shaft, better than the other low cost LDs out there IMO> Good luck

Last edited:

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks! That leads me to another question. I have a Dale Perry. If I get their shaft in their 3/8-8 "surgical" pin, will it fit? I've heard both that they're the same and they're different, so I don't know for sure.

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call and talk to Dave. He will answer your questions. I would make sure you measure your joint on the cue that you need it for. They will make it any size you need it. Most aftermarket shafts are .840. I have 2 30" Schmelke laminated shafts that have the XTC ferrule and are 11.75 and they are definitely more LD than a HXT. I think it plays a lot like a Jacoby Edge. It still feels like maple but is LD. I love mine.

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks! I actually got one ordered last week. Made sure to let them know my joint diameter. I went ahead and ordered it at 12.25mm with the XTC ferrule, a Kamui Black soft, and a 14-16" pro-taper. I'm used to 12.75 with my McDermott and didn't want a huge adjustment period. Their prices are insanely good. $117 shipped makes it the cheapest "LD" shaft available. Excited to play with it. With any luck maybe it will arrive before APA season starts. Will review once I get some hands on.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking forward to your review :smile: Nice to have a brand that doesnt outprice their products :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks! That leads me to another question. I have a Dale Perry. If I get their shaft in their 3/8-8 "surgical" pin, will it fit? I've heard both that they're the same and they're different, so I don't know for sure.

I doubt it but research before ordering. I think DP has his own style.

Also (from my experience) Schmelke joint diameters differ slightly from the standard size.... For example my Predator shafts have lip at the joint. They do not interchange 100%.

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well DP is using the standard uniloc radial from what I've researched. Schmelke was using the import radial, but it looks like they're using the uniloc radial now too. I'm just hoping for success st this point, lol.

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got my shaft in tonight. I've shot a few racks with it so far and I'm now a believer. This thing is nice! Excellent quality, perfectly straight, exactly what I wanted. I was indecisive between 12.75 or 11.75 when I was looking at HXT, so I ordered this one at 12.25 and it feels like I made the right decision. The long pro-taper is great, as a conical taper just feels weird to me. This is the first laminate and/or LD shaft I've used and I wish I had it sooner. I set up a few long shots to play with side English and made them all easily without having to compensate for deflection, which is nice because I'm usually horrible at that lol. With the Kamui Black soft I can load as much spin as I want.

FYI, the Schmelke radial fits the uniloc radial pin just right.you I think they've adopted the uniloc radial now, or at least a clone of, as they don't even sell the tap for the import thread on their site anymore.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for keeping us up to date with your thoughts on the shaft :smile: May I ask for a few pictures of the shaft? I'm curious how neat Schmelke has been able to make their glue lines and to see what their shafy wood flooks like. Their prices are great, hoping to see adequate quality aswell so I can finally order one or two for house cues :rolleyes:

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have the lighting or the camera for good pictures, but these may suffice.

d070149a54db6540482dd42dbefef57a.jpg
302a7f19f24f5375b7848aad7e8b738c.jpg
7ccbc422f62773a6513dc0426240824d.jpg
68cc4630783e0cfbac342e99d40676ae.jpg
1958b6d5a3617f2f33086ba983a724c6.jpg
9215c994b3a37335f6d6f0d8ca2c9145.jpg
2c641b011cf64e11bb3a29ddfd9378c0.jpg
9d03eb5eb1cc1c18588e853d9844f8e4.jpg

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got my shaft in tonight. I've shot a few racks with it so far and I'm now a believer. This thing is nice! Excellent quality, perfectly straight, exactly what I wanted. I was indecisive between 12.75 or 11.75 when I was looking at HXT, so I ordered this one at 12.25 and it feels like I made the right decision. The long pro-taper is great, as a conical taper just feels weird to me. This is the first laminate and/or LD shaft I've used and I wish I had it sooner. I set up a few long shots to play with side English and made them all easily without having to compensate for deflection, which is nice because I'm usually horrible at that lol. With the Kamui Black soft I can load as much spin as I want.

FYI, the Schmelke radial fits the uniloc radial pin just right.you I think they've adopted the uniloc radial now, or at least a clone of, as they don't even sell the tap for the import thread on their site anymore.

Some information more specific to the Uni-Loc® joint.

I received an email from David Schnelke on Jan 18, 2017. I quoted him in red text.
"David
Unfortunately, we recently stopped offering the unilock joint as a custom joint option on our cues. Sorry this isn't something we can help you with an appreciate you considering our cues.
"
He is referring to the Uni-Loc®. Joint, because I had used the correct name, spelling, etc, Uni-Loc®, not "unilock", in my request to him whether SCHMELKE used it or offered it as an option.
When writing about an item that is trademarked or when a manufacturer uses a specific spelling, it is best addressed that way. Doing so avoids confusion. And by doing so, one shows he has paid attention.

Dave.

Last edited:

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still using this shaft as my main player. Holding up wonderfully. Not overly sold on the Kamui black soft, but I don't know specifically what I don't like about it. May try a G2 later. There are a couple darker sections of wood, but doesn't bother me any. The ferrule stays really clean, so that's great. Still a very solid shooter, loving it. The smaller diameter and long pro taper makes it slightly whippy, but I'm used to it now. Next step is to get better at this game, lol.

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys,

Just one more update on the Schmelke shaft here. Still using this pretty much daily. I actually just took it to my cue guy for a cleaning and tip replacement. I really liked the Kamui Black soft for the first couple weeks, then after that it just got hard and didn't hold chalk as well without constant attention. Had a Tiger Sniper installed, and so far so good. It's harder than the soft in the first place, but it seems to hold the chalk really well and I haven't had any miscue issues as of yet. Plenty of action from it. The shaft itself is still as good as new. I'm definitely a huge fan of this thing, especially for the price. Can't really beat the value there. I'm debating grabbing another shaft now, maybe a Z shaft, or the "NEW" Schmelke Pie lam LD shaft at 11.75mm... as I've never tried one before and I want to...

ANYONE wanting to go the low deflection route without spending a lot, I highly suggest you give Schmelke a call!!!

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted to try one of their new pie laminated shafts too. I wish I lived closer so I could hit one before buying it. Let me know how they play if you pull the trigger on one.

Locotone07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have the lighting or the camera for good pictures, but these may suffice.

d070149a54db6540482dd42dbefef57a.jpg
302a7f19f24f5375b7848aad7e8b738c.jpg
7ccbc422f62773a6513dc0426240824d.jpg
68cc4630783e0cfbac342e99d40676ae.jpg
1958b6d5a3617f2f33086ba983a724c6.jpg
9215c994b3a37335f6d6f0d8ca2c9145.jpg

2c641b011cf64e11bb3a29ddfd9378c0.jpg
9d03eb5eb1cc1c18588e853d9844f8e4.jpg

Are these pics of the original DP shaft? I ask because I see a matching ring on the shaft pictured, while the pics of your Schmelke shafts in the previous post don't have rings, at least they don't appear to.

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The previous pics were of someone else's Schmelke shafts. I did have them match the rings. Well, not match as I didn't send the butt, but close enough.

TeeA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
got mine several months now instead of more costly jacoby...just love it and have played with it since day one...already sent them some business which i dont do lightly