Diamond Professional vs Gold Crown IV

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've read through some old threads on this hotly debated topic but I haven't found anything recent on this subject. So, I thought I would raise the question again. My reason for asking is that I have a Gold Crown IV and am thinking about buying a Diamond Professional. I am going down to their factory in Jeffersonville, IN next week.

Just wondering if there is any new info or updated ideas/thoughts on the Diamond/Gold Crown debate? Has anything changed with Diamond in the last few years? I read some threads that were dated anywhere from 2009 to 2013 so I thought I would raise the issue again.

r/DCP

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Said

It has been said on here many times that a heavier table place better then a lighter one.

The Diamond is suppose to weigh more then any of the Gold Crowns.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond's leveling system(legs and slate) make it pretty easy to get it dead-level. The new ones don't bank short like the old red-labels. Nice tables.

oldroller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't

It has been said on here many times that a heavier table place better then a lighter one.

The Diamond is suppose to weigh more then any of the Gold Crowns.

Think Diamonds are as heavy as a Gold Crown..they are tanks.I have owned both

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've read through some old threads on this hotly debated topic but I haven't found anything recent on this subject. So, I thought I would raise the question again. My reason for asking is that I have a Gold Crown IV and am thinking about buying a Diamond Professional. I am going down to their factory in Jeffersonville, IN next week.

Just wondering if there is any new info or updated ideas/thoughts on the Diamond/Gold Crown debate? Has anything changed with Diamond in the last few years? I read some threads that were dated anywhere from 2009 to 2013 so I thought I would raise the issue again.

r/DCP

I also own a black GC4 but it’s in a different state and I don’t play on it much anymore. I mostly play on Blue Label Diamonds. I think they play very similar. You can shorten a bank a tad more. Unfortunately those buckets were shimmed to 4.5” and I’d like to have 4 1/8. So if I keep the table I want either Jerimy Chambers new rails or have JZMECHANIX extend the rails.

Don’t let anyone tell you all the Blue labels play the same because that total B.S.
The Rac in Detroit area has 5 or 6 Blues. Some are Professional, some ProAm. They definitely play differently between them. Buffalo’s in New Orleans has some of each and one or two are just different.

With all that said, as new tables go, Diamond is what I’d buy new.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a GC4 in my house and play on Diamonds at my clubhouse. I honestly am not that fine tuned that I can tell the difference. However people say Diamonds bank differently. Both tables are 1st class and as good as the person that sets them up. Me personally... I love the traditional look of a GC. It is timeless beauty....As for the Diamonds.. they are built solid and rugged. I cannot say one is better than the other. Buy what you like or really want.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is asking because the only very noticable difference is the pocket shelf depth.

Trent from Toledo

Weird your side pockets are not 5"

diamonds : 4.5" corners and 5" sides.

I wanted tight pockets. At least fair but tight. I noticed when I played in Evansville the other day that shots into the side pockets seemed easier. I attribute that to my tight side pockets at home.

r/DCP

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The biggest attraction to me for Diamond tables is that you can lay your cue flat anyplace
on the table and stroke it.....I was raised on GCs and Anniversaries but you had to get
your thumb under the cue a lot because of obstructions.

Basically, the intent of Diamond was to take the bugs out of a Gold Crown.

Pretty sure they both weigh about the same, though.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I wanted tight pockets. At least fair but tight. I noticed when I played in Evansville the other day that shots into the side pockets seemed easier. I attribute that to my tight side pockets at home.

r/DCP

did you have someone redo your rails to make the 4.75" sides? GC4 tournament edition specs are 4.5" corners and 5" sides as well.

Trent from Toledo

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
You must have a lot of money in considering getting rid of a GC IV for a Diamond.
I don't know what the upside is unless most of the pool halls you go to have Diamond tables and you wanna stay consistent.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
That's cause he has my rails.
I was supposed to have his and he was supposed to get the ones on my table.

He is asking because the only very noticable difference is the pocket shelf depth.

Trent from Toledo

Weird your side pockets are not 5"

diamonds : 4.5" corners and 5" sides.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
did you have someone redo your rails to make the 4.75" sides? GC4 tournament edition specs are 4.5" corners and 5" sides as well.

Trent from Toledo

I bought my GCIV brand new back in Christmas of 2002. It came with 5" corner pockets and 5.25" side pockets. Finally realized that was too big after shooting on Nick Varner's Gold Crown V table so I had my mechanic from Indy tighten them up.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I bought my GCIV brand new back in Christmas of 2002. It came with 5" corner pockets and 5.25" side pockets. Finally realized that was too big after shooting on Nick Varner's Gold Crown V table so I had my mechanic from Indy tighten them up.

That is still strange, the side pocket is usually 1/2" bigger than the corners. So he "shimmed" them. I would have someone like Jack Zimmerman properly extend the subrails and keep the gc 4. Just my $0.02 :) I like both tables and sell both, but, I am always gonna be a Brunswick guy first!

Trent from Toledo

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/DCP
Unless you can afford it and you ust want a change, they are both good tables and I see no reason to change. I assume you'd sell your GC4 and it's still going to cost you considerably as you'll only likely get no more than 1/3 for your GC4 of what the new Diamond will cost you.

As long as your pockets were tightened professionally by lengthening the subrails and cushion rubbers and you have no more than 3/16" thick pocket facings, I'd stick with the GC4. If you're playing with pockets with multiple layers of pocket facings to get your tighter pocket specs, I'd spend some $$ getting them tightened correctly, which will make a big quality difference in the playability of the table.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if you read the prior threads you already know the playability differences.

As far as recent changes:
The factory that made the Dymondwood rails burned down about 5 years ago. It’s replacement was a black material that was strong, but somewhat pourous. I played on it at DCC, and it felt grimy on my hands. In a home environment, that would probably be less of an issue.

Then, as of a few weeks ago, there is a better replacement to the Dymondwood that comes in many more coolers. I have no first hand experience with this (and I don’t think any member here does yet) to know if it’s less porous.

And of course, you can always get solid wood.

So when you go to the factory, be sure to ask to see, and touch, all the rail materiel options.