Frozen to the Cushion or not?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the rules, is an object ball deemed to be frozen to a cushion if it is so close that it appears it might possibly be deemed to be in contact with the outer fuzz/nap of the cloth textures, even if it’s not fully and clearly frozen on the rail? This came up yesterday in one of our big tournaments, where I was called in to make a ruling, and as hard and close as I looked, it was still very hard to determine. I ruled it was frozen, since it looked to me like it might have been barely touching some of the outer fibers of the rail cloth.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I think it's probably a total judgement call. For me when I make that call I look to see if I
can see light between the ball and the cushion Like I'm sure most people do.
Touching a fiber or two isn't always definitive because the fibers aren't uniform, but I believe
it's a judgement call. Sometimes you might meet with some disagreement

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's probably a total judgement call. For me when I make that call I look to see if I
can see light between the ball and the cushion Like I'm sure most people do.
Touching a fiber or two isn't always definitive because the fibers aren't uniform, but I believe
it's a judgement call. Sometimes you might meet with some disagreement

No judgement in effective gameplay rules.

Fibers touching? Frozed!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My call.....if you could move the ball closer to the cushion....it’s not froze.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the rules, is an object ball deemed to be frozen to a cushion if it is so close that it appears it might possibly be deemed to be in contact with the outer fuzz/nap of the cloth textures, even if it’s not fully and clearly frozen on the rail? This came up yesterday in one of our big tournaments, where I was called in to make a ruling, and as hard and close as I looked, it was still very hard to determine. I ruled it was frozen, since it looked to me like it might have been barely touching some of the outer fibers of the rail cloth.

There was a post about this before, the general agreement was that it's not frozen if some fibers are touching the ball but there is still a gap between the edge and the actual rail. If a bullet hits your hair but does not actually hit the skin, you are not shot, you were "almost shot". The ball is "almost" frozen.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a post about this before, the general agreement was that it's not frozen if some fibers are touching the ball but there is still a gap between the edge and the actual rail. If a bullet hits your hair but does not actually hit the skin, you are not shot, you were "almost shot". The ball is "almost" frozen.

Thats how I play it.
Put a cigarette under the rail next to the ball, if
you see white, the ball is not frozen.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Place a white paper between the ball and the rail.
You see white from above? Not frozen.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't like it.

What is the measure of touching a rail necessary for the ball to be frozen, then?

Obviously, 1 is not...how about 2?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3gsa9u

via Imgflip Meme Generator

slop stroke

I drink, theyfore I ain't
Silver Member
I was told (heresay I tell ya) that Johnny Archer once said "the balls were touchin but just not quite frozen."

I learned about this rule 20 years ago from a BCA instructor, and his counsel has never failed me: if rail fibers are touching the ball then the ball is frozen. BTW - light will shine through -- if the light is bright enough - it's a refraction kind of thing. Some cases will have more fibers touching vs. others. YMMV.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
The BCA rule sure doesn't offer any clarification:

37. OBJECT BALL FROZEN TO CUSHION OR CUE BALL. This rule applies to any shot where the cue ball's first contact with a ball is with one that is frozen to a cushion or to the cue ball itself. after the cue ball makes contact with the frozen object ball, the shot must result in either (1) a ball being pocketed, or (2) the cue ball contacting a cushion, or (3) the frozen ball being caused to contact a cushion (not merely rebounding from the cushion it was frozen to), or (4) another object ball being caused to contact a cushion to which it was not already in contact with. Failure to satisfy one of those four requirements is a foul. (Note: 14.1 and other games specify additional requirements and applications of this rule; see specific game rules.) An object ball is not considered frozen to a rail unless it is examined and announced as such by either the referee or one of the players prior to that object ball being involved in a shot.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just push gently on the cushion just next to the ball.

If it doesn't move, its not frozen.

Very simple.