Shipping iv0ry question.

shoxy

Registered
Quick backstory:

I'm looking to purchase a cue within the next week and have it imported into Canada.

The cue is a Schon Petersen tribute and has some ivxry inlays.

Just need a few questions answered beforehand since I'm not expert on importing cues that are loaded

1. Probability of it being seized and destroyed? 10%? 20%? 95%?

2. FedEx? 3. Purolator? 4. Local post?

3. Has anyone ever had their cue seized by customs?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You wish seizure is all you have to fear. They have started prosecuting. Best advice is look for a non ivory cue.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick backstory:

I'm looking to purchase a cue within the next week and have it imported into Canada.

Just need a few questions answered beforehand since I'm not expert on importing cues that are loaded

Not worth it. Don't mess with it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even in Canada??
Canadian law is 1990 or before on elephant ivory. Can you prove WITHOUT a doubt where/when the ivory is from?? If not good luck with the law up there. Google "Canadian ivory laws". Is a pool cue worth the possible legal hassle? That's up to you i guess.

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Canadian law is 1990 or before on elephant ivory. Can you prove WITHOUT a doubt where/when the ivory is from?? If not good luck with the law up there. Google "Canadian ivory laws". Is a pool cue worth the possible legal hassle? That's up to you i guess.

That is the easy part.

Exporting on the seller's end will be difficult.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Quick backstory:

you don't have any feedback here,
can't help you, YET :eek:
Just kidding,
be careful -
A lot of the cue makers have given up Ivory-
Too much to risk-

Ernie @ Gina Cue recently got burned!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if it would be worth it to reach out to a local customs office and see if there is some sort of paperwork you can have that would allow you to legally import it. Lots of times, you can talk your way into people doing all they can to help you.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick backstory:

If your cue has some banned material in it? lol. Use liquid rubber paint that can be rubbed off later with alcohol, or at least I've heard that might work. ;)

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Yeah I wouldnt even mess with it inter-state these days... no way I'd cross country lines.

I'm not completely up on the laws, but at one point weren't they trying to ban inter-state sale of ivory after a certain amount/weight?

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
If your cue has some banned material in it? lol. Use liquid rubber paint that can be rubbed off later with alcohol, or at least I've heard that might work. ;)

That's actually brilliant... err... I mean... No that's wrong and you shouldn't do that... yeah, that's right.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
I wonder if it would be worth it to reach out to a local customs office and see if there is some sort of paperwork you can have that would allow you to legally import it. Lots of times, you can talk your way into people doing all they can to help you.

This is actually a good idea. It's not illegal to ask.

The problem comes into play with knowledge of those actually enforcing the law versus those you asked. I can ask lawyers all day about knife carry laws, but a cop might see a knife on me that I know is legal and would win in court, but I still run the risk of being detained, hassled, knife confiscated, etc...

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I wouldn’t trust them far as I could throw them. Could get a bum steer real fast-innocent mistake or a cop being a *****.

I wouldn’t ship ivory anywhere. Radioactive! Bad action

Best
Fatboy

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn’t trust them far as I could throw them. Could get a bum steer real fast-innocent mistake or a cop being a *****.

Best
Fatboy

He can have it shipped to the office that OKs the deal, maybe?

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Best
Fatboy

That's why they only ship "all black" cues from the PI. :rotflmao1: Its like a scratcher ticket that requires a little more elbow grease.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no paperwork you can get anywhere to ship cues internationally that contain ivory of any type or amount.
You need to obtain a CITES certificate for your item(s) but none are being issued within the USA or ever have been.
It is a quagmire to say the least. To ship internationally you must obtain a CITES certificate but it is not available.
Shipping is always at the legal peril of the buyer and seller/shipper with ivory. The question is ”Do you feel lucky?”

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Musical instruments

They have given some kind of provisional thing to musical instruments with tiny amounts of ivory last I knew. This is so internationally known musicians can bring their own instruments across borders. Again this isn't for instruments dripping ivory, perhaps the frets or the thingamagigees to mark chords are ivory. Even then musicians sometimes have quite a hassle.

There is no such thing as legal ivory crossing a cites signees' border and most countries are signees. No matter how legal ivory is, when it crosses a border it becomes illegal. I thought obama's interstate ivory law had died but perhaps I am wrong. I would sure know one way or another before shipping!

I decided to check with a source that knows. I consider Joe Barringer a friend although we haven't talked for years now. Joe was perhaps the largest buyer and seller of ivory in the US. He got about a quarter million dollar fine and had a few hundred pounds of legal ivory confiscated best I recall. Joe knows the law now for sure! He won't sell ivory across a state line or across a US border. That settles it for me.

"Borrowed" from Joe's site:
Please Note: All pre-ban elephant ivory must be sold to U.S. customers only who reside in the State of Florida. NO INTERSTATE SALES OR PURCHASES. - no exceptions . It is illegal to transport to a foreign country.

Hu