flip.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Stop the insanity.
Bill..
I'm not saying that anyone needs to aim by using fractions.
The aiming graph shows the angle when 2 spheres collide.

Someone was asked about the difference between a carp and a lawyer.
The answer was one is a bottom dwelling scum sucker. The other a fish.
Seeing that you're an attorney, I thought you might like that one. :D

Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
My drawing below may look somewhat confusing at first, but I'll try to explain exactly what the drawing is describing.

........................... View attachment 473706

The drawing shows verticle lines as aim points for Center CB. Each line represents a 1/8 ball overlap.

Many folks visualize a ball overlap. The problem by aiming that way is your OB always looks smaller.
The further away the OB the smaller it looks.. and by visualizing a overlap how precise is it actually?
Picking a known aim point for Center CB would be more precise.. The drawing shows OB aim points.

Numbers on top of each line shows a cut angle for that line (The incremental overlapping cut angles)
Those cut angles are within 1.5 degrees of the actual cut angle, but they are just easier to remember.
AzBforums member AtLarge posted actual cut angles in the Main forum. Let's do an OB comparison.

Line number.. Drawing angle.. Actual angle.. Angle difference
1.................... 0....................... 0.................... 0
2.................... 7...................... 7.2................. -.2
3................... 15..................... 14.5............... +.5
4................... 22..................... 22................... 0
5................... 30..................... 30................... 0
6................... 40..................... 38.7................ +1.3
7................... 50..................... 48.6................ +1.4
8................... 60..................... 61................... -1.0
9................... 90..................... 90................... 0

The numbers in my drawing are easier to remember... The short lines under 0, 15, 30, 50 & 90 are ball quarters.

The horizontal fractions, inside the OB, show the 1/8 ball overlaps for each of the 5 corresponding vertical lines.

The ruler (bottom right) shows 5 aim line spacings.. These 5 aim point spacings are used inside & out of the OB.
Aim lines are more precise inside of the OB... Center 0*... OB edge 30*... 1/2 way between 0 &30 is 15 degrees.

You'll need to project center CB & the OB center line to the rail and then compare it to your pocketimg line angle.
When your pocket angle is found just aim your center CB at the known vertical aim line for your pocketing angle.

Another thought that may help when using inside CB spin.. Aim at a vertical line next to the pocketing angle line.

Never aim your CB center beyond the 90* line. :-) ... Play well... Carl

Note:
To hit the 5 outside vertical aim points exactly is hard but it's a good reference for CP2CP aiming.. Inside the OB
aim points are easier because you use the OB center and OB edge as guides to "see" your aim lines 1, 3 and 5.

When standing, find your pocket angle first. Check your angle when you're down.
AFTER you know your angle the above lines are where you aim Center Cue Ball.

No need to pocket balls using fractions, but to understand them improves aiming.

Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

Is it easier to aim center CB to a precise point, or aim the CB edge for a OB overlap?

This is for folks who aim by overlapping both balls. Just making a questionable point.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Is it easier to aim center CB to a precise point, or aim the CB edge for a OB overlap?

This is for folks who aim by overlapping both balls. Just making a questionable point.

I think for any shot thicker than about 40° it's easy to use ccb directly to a precise aim point. Thinner shots may be easier to use cb edge to ob overlap, given a precise offset visual or parallel shift from cb edge to ccb.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you know the cut angles from the overlap? Or do you need the cut angle first?

OVERLAP.JPG

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
When standing, find your pocket angle first. Check your angle when you're down.
AFTER you know your angle the above lines are where you aim Center Cue Ball.

No need to pocket balls using fractions, but to understand them improves aiming.

My drawing below may look somewhat confusing at first, but I'll try to explain exactly what the drawing is describing.

........................... View attachment 473706

The drawing shows verticle lines as aim points for Center CB. Each line represents a 1/8 ball overlap.

Many folks visualize a ball overlap. The problem by aiming that way is your OB always looks smaller.
The further away the OB the smaller it looks.. and by visualizing a overlap how precise is it actually?

Picking a known aim point for Center CB would be more precise.. The drawing shows OB aim points.

Numbers on top of each line shows a cut angle for that line (The incremental overlapping cut angles)
Those cut angles are within 1.5 degrees of the actual cut angle, but they are just easier to remember.
AzBforums member AtLarge posted actual cut angles in the Main forum. Let's do an OB comparison.

Line number.. Drawing angle.. Actual angle.. Angle difference
1.................... 0....................... 0.................... 0
2.................... 7...................... 7.2................. -.2
3................... 15..................... 14.5............... +.5
4................... 22..................... 22................... 0
5................... 30..................... 30................... 0
6................... 40..................... 38.7................ +1.3
7................... 50..................... 48.6................ +1.4
8................... 60..................... 61................... -1.0
9................... 90..................... 90................... 0

The numbers in my drawing are easier to remember... The short lines under 0, 15, 30, 50 & 90 are ball quarters.

The horizontal fractions, inside the OB, show the 1/8 ball overlaps for each of the 5 corresponding vertical lines.

The ruler (bottom right) shows 5 aim line spacings.. These 5 aim point spacings are used inside & out of the OB.
Aim lines are more precise inside of the OB... Center 0*... OB edge 30*... 1/2 way between 0 &30 is 15 degrees.

You'll need to project center CB & the OB center line to the rail and then compare it to your pocketimg line angle.
When your pocket angle is found just aim your center CB at the known vertical aim line for your pocketing angle.

Another thought that may help when using inside CB spin.. Aim at a vertical line next to the pocketing angle line.

Never aim your CB center beyond the 90* line. :-) ... Play well... Carl

Note:
To hit the 5 outside vertical aim points exactly is hard but it's a good reference for CP2CP aiming.. Inside the OB
aim points are easier because you use the OB center and OB edge as guides to "see" your aim lines 1, 3 and 5.

No... If you aim CB edge to OB edge at a distance, will center CB line up with center OB visually?

Center CB aimed at 1/4 OB line goes 15 degrees. CB edge to 3/4 OB, at any distance, will go 15*.
I find it easier to aim CCB at distant OB points, than to judge the CB edge and exact OB overlaps.

Do you know the cut angles from the overlap? Or do you need the cut angle first?

View attachment 495223

To answer your question "What are the cut angles?". A - 30 degrees.... B - 48.6 degrees.... C - 61 degrees... by using the CB edge as you show.

BUT... how do you aim for a 7 or 12 degree cut angle? Or at an angle smaller than 30*?
The CB always looks bigger than your OB. The further away the bigger the CB will look.
Do you line up ball edges and reposition your head? Do you pivot? Do you parallel shift?

How do you know when the cue points at the spot to roll your CB edge to your OB aim?

Like 2 balls on railroad tracks. A cue centered thru both balls centers the cue alignment.
A cue aligned to aim at both ball edges aligns to one track, but it won't align to the other.

Take a look at my drawing in POST #1... The drawn OB has light lines to represent the CB.
Both are the same size when they collide for cut angles. Look where your cue should point... CCB aim for 1/8 CB overlaps

Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
CENTER CUE BALL AIM POINTS FOR OBJECT BALL OVERLAPS.....

image.jpeg

On bottom right in my drawing.. POST #1.. there's a ruler with .281 marks for aim points.

Those aim points may be hard for some folks to visualize. My drawing above shows the
same CCB points, but it uses the width of a golf scoring pencil as a visual for aim points.

The CCB aim points coincide with the light arcs inside the OB representing the CB edge.

The CB always looks larger than an OB when aiming the edge. The CB center will align
the CB edges. Both the balls are the same size at collision and always overlap precisely.

Like 2 balls on a railroad track, CCB & COB align to both tracks. Edge aiming aligns to 1.

If you aim by using CB edges, you might try CCB aiming. It can also help CP2CP aimers.
Golf pencils may not be exactly .281 but they will show you a quick reference for CP2CP.

Play well... Carl

Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Yes I know.. You've seen this drawing before in post #1... but there's been a change to the incremental line numbers.

The old #1 has been changed to '0' (center OB).. From there all line numbers increase by one number from #1 to #8.

The reason is it's easier to think incremental lines for each 1/8 ball increment.. The Center OB is line '0', or is full ball.

Line 1 is a 1/8 ball increment from '0' (7/8 ball).. 2 is 2/8 or 1/4 increment (3/4 ball).. 3 is a 3/8 increment (5/8 ball).. 4

is a 4/8 increment (or 1/2 ball).. ect. Each line number equals a 1/8 CB overlap.. from center OB, to the 8/8 OB edge.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes I know.. You've seen this drawing before in post #1... but there's been a change to the incremental line numbers.

The old #1 has been changed to '0' (center OB).. From there all line numbers increase by one number from #1 to #8.

The reason is it's easier to think incremental lines for each 1/8 ball increment.. The Center OB is line '0', or is full ball.

Line 1 is a 1/8 ball increment from '0' (7/8 ball).. 2 is 2/8 or 1/4 increment (3/4 ball).. 3 is a 3/8 increment (5/8 ball).. 4

is a 4/8 increment (or 1/2 ball).. ect. Each line number equals a 1/8 CB overlap.. from center OB, to the 8/8 OB edge.

View attachment 508376
thank you for taking the time and effort to post the diagram
it will be helpfull for those that aim that way.....:thumbup:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
thank you for taking the time and effort to post the diagram
it will be helpfull for those that aim that way.....:thumbup:

Thanks for your reply bbb.
Look at the OB fraction lines. The line spacings add up to 8/8ths.

.280 spacings will divide a 2 1/4" pool ball into 8 equal aim points.
.265 spacings divide a 2 1/8" snooker ball into 8 equal aim points.
.257 spacings divide a 2 1/16 snooker ball into 8 equal aim points.

Click the attachment...... https://forums.azbilliards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=508376&d=1545612514

Play well. Carl

Last edited: