Seen This Shot Hosed Up Many Times

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody said they wanted to see more of these WWYD shots so here's one that I've seen hosed up many, many times. I've seen it hosed up many, many times in person, by pros, by hacks, in major national tournaments, at local pool halls, and by me myself.

I think the problem is the shot is scary. People are afraid they are going to come across and scratch in the side pocket so they hit it with a timid stroke. But, having said that, I've seen pros, hacks, myself, etc, scratch in the opposite side pocket as they attempt to come back across the side rail and out towards the red CB for position on the 2Ball.

Anybody have any insights on how to play this shot? Johnny Archer could have used some help with this shot in a Sands Reno match against Efren years ago.

r/DCP

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/3fa87.png

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Attachments

• shot.jpg
    shot.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 372

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
But seriously, I don't think there are any tricks to this shot - across and back, hitting the near rail a diamond or so from the side pocket. Err on the slow side and gratefully accept an imperfect cut on the 2.

pj
chgo

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I shot it 4 different ways several times. One option worked out every time for me -- top inside (right). The cb goes right around the 4 and heads between the 5 and side pocket, if that red circle is the 5. ???

Anyhow, shooting the zigzag with left to go back toward the 2 was a bit iffy... scratched straight in the side once, hit the 2 once and got no shot, then got a thin cut on the 2 on my 3rd attempt.

The 3rd shot was banking the 1 two rails (around the 4) and sticking the cb where the 1 is while getting the 1 to settle up table, blocked by the 5 or 6. But I made the 1 in the side pocket once and left a shot on the 1 once, so not a good option for me.

I also played the kick shot into the 1 with right spin, knocking the 1 three rails up table. Got it to the end rail once and laid it on the side rail above the 7 a couple of times. Each time I got a decent safety out of it.

I'll try to find time to record these options in the morning.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The RED CB is the spot where you would ideally like the CB to end up after hitting the shot with a little low left.

Also, this shot was intended ONLY to be hit with low left and not go around the 4Ball. That's why I put the 4Ball at the spot where I did. I was curious how people handle the "across the table" shot. Johnny Archer messed up a very similar shot in the hill-hill rack against Efren years ago at the Sands Regency 9Ball tournament in Reno.

r/DCP

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
One option worked out every time for me -- top inside (right). The cb goes right around the 4 and heads between the 5 and side pocket
Hitting that small target between the 4 and the rail is easier for you than hitting the much larger target before the side pocket?

shooting the zigzag with left to go back toward the 2 was a bit iffy... hit the 2 once and got no shot
How'd you get by the 6 to hit the 2?

pj
chgo

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
The RED CB is the spot where you would ideally like the CB to end up after hitting the shot with a little low left.

Also, this shot was intended ONLY to be hit with low left and not go around the 4Ball. That's why I put the 4Ball at the spot where I did. I was curious how people handle the "across the table" shot. Johnny Archer messed up a very similar shot in the hill-hill rack against Efren years ago at the Sands Regency 9Ball tournament in Reno.

r/DCP

Ah....that's funny....what I thought was a 5ball is exactly the shape I get.

The angle looked great going behind the 4, so that was my 1st choice, and it works just right. Had the 4 been a couple of inches closer to the rail I'd have never tried it that way.

Now that I know there's no 5, the left spin to zigzag across is the easiest option if your speed and spin are hit well. But if the path is available I'm going with top inside.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Hitting that small target between the 4 and the rail is easier for you than hitting the much larger target before the side pocket?

How'd you get by the 6 to hit the 2?

pj
chgo

Sending the cb along a precise path is easier to accomplish (for me) than controlling the speed of a zigzag type shot.

I hit the 2 once because I didn't use enough left spin and angle was perfect to barely miss the 6 and bump the 2. But I caught the top side of the 2 and had a corner shot.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I can see that, but isn't the speed equally important for both shots?

pj
chgo

Yeah, it just feels more controllable when I'm spinning the cb around the rails. And that's probably due to habit, lack of practicing the zigzag back and forth.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
bert kinister has a drill where you zig zag across but the cueball CANNOT hit the last rail
practice that and the shot is no problem
pro's can miss a shot with ball in hand
it doesnt mean that because archer missed it
its that tough
jmho
icbw

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yeah, it just feels more controllable when I'm spinning the cb around the rails. And that's probably due to habit, lack of practicing the zigzag back and forth.
Yep - if you practice that inside spin shot more I'm guessing you have a taste for the circus shots like I do. :)

pj <- do I hear calliope music?
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
brian
as you said above
with 1-2 oclock running english (inside ) the cue ball tracks to the 7 ball and should miss the 4
fwiw i would play it that way too

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
brian
as you said above
with 1-2 oclock running english (inside ) the cue ball tracks to the 7 ball and should miss the 4

Yep. I think I was hitting it with 2 o'clock. But the OP meant to make that path inaccessible, wanted to focus more on the back and forth 2-railer. Now that I know there is no 5 ball in the way, I wouldn't have a problem hitting the 2 rail zigzag.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
brian
as you said above
Sounds about right - that's how I'd play it too, for fun or if I had to, or if that's the kind of spin I'm better at. But all else being equal, the margin of error for that shot is a fraction of the other one (black lines in the pic).

pj
chgo

View attachment 43155

Attachments

• 1pshot.jpg
    1pshot.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 315

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds about right - that's how I'd play it too, for fun or if I had to, or if that's the kind of spin I'm better at. But all else being equal, the margin of error for that shot is a fraction of the other one (black lines in the pic).

pj
chgo

View attachment 43155

Nice illustration. I have a better feel of top inside on these shots and need to work on the left spin to get the correct zigzag angle.