Initial team usa squad is named for mosconi cup xxv

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bergman-slider.jpg

June 12, 2018
INITIAL TEAM USA SQUAD IS NAMED FOR MOSCONI CUP XXV
WITH THE 2018 Mosconi Cup now six months away, the initial group of 14 American players has been announced. The 14 will attend a series of team get-togethers, training camps and tournaments as they work towards victory at the 25th annual partypoker Mosconi Cup which takes place at Alexandra Palace, London this December 4-7.

Of the 14 players named, over half of them have previous Mosconi Cup experience with Corey Deuel at ten appearances being the most seasoned. There are six players in the squad who have yet to taste the fiery atmosphere of the event. The final team of five will be announced at the end of October.

The 14 players are:

1. Corey Deuel (10)
2. Dennis Hatch (5)
3. Skyler Woodward (3)
4. Justin Bergman (3)
5. Oscar Dominquez (2)
6. Billy Thorpe (1)
7. Brandon Shuff (1)
8. Justin Hall (1)
9. Donny Mills
10. Josh Roberts
11. Mitchell Ellerman
12. Chip Compton
13. Chris Robinson
14. Tyler Styer
(Number of previous Mosconi Cup appearances in brackets)

full link http://www.matchroompool.com/news/initial-team-usa-squad-named-mosconi-cup-xxv/

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 494074

June 12, 2018
INITIAL TEAM USA SQUAD IS NAMED FOR MOSCONI CUP XXV
WITH THE 2018 Mosconi Cup now six months away, the initial group of 14 American players has been announced. The 14 will attend a series of team get-togethers, training camps and tournaments as they work towards victory at the 25th annual partypoker Mosconi Cup which takes place at Alexandra Palace, London this December 4-7.

Of the 14 players named, over half of them have previous Mosconi Cup experience with Corey Deuel at ten appearances being the most seasoned. There are six players in the squad who have yet to taste the fiery atmosphere of the event. The final team of five will be announced at the end of October.

The 14 players are:

1. Corey Deuel (10)
2. Dennis Hatch (5)
3. Skyler Woodward (3)
4. Justin Bergman (3)
5. Oscar Dominquez (2)
6. Billy Thorpe (1)
7. Brandon Shuff (1)
8. Justin Hall (1)
9. Donny Mills
10. Josh Roberts
11. Mitchell Ellerman
12. Chip Compton
13. Chris Robinson
14. Tyler Styer
(Number of previous Mosconi Cup appearances in brackets)

full link http://www.matchroompool.com/news/initial-team-usa-squad-named-mosconi-cup-xxv/

I would like to see Donny Mills and Mitch Ellerman on the team.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BS. Get 5 players from the PI. Give them 1 hour to warm up and then turn them loose on Europe...no coach needed. Johnnyt

LOL-Absolutely-they may not win under any circumstances but they will do a lot better than us.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't wait to see the drama when half or more of the team is playing in that new St Louis event the weekend before the Mosconi, and they go to tell the Coach that hey, we'll be flying in the day before it starts. Tuck your preparation :rolleyes:

gregoryda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1, 2, 4, 5, 6 is my prediction. I really like and respect Shane as the best overall USA player, but maybe the team is better off without him. He has had his issues the last few Mosconi Cups.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Mitch Ellerman is one of the list's interesting players. He can sneak up on anybody at any time...in a short race like the Mosconi Cup? I wouldn't bet against him, no matter the opponent.

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The joke is never ending.

I bet betting odds are way worse for us this year!.

At this point lets take guesses at who is next years coach.

Next year Darren Appleton will be Team USA coach, WHILE playing for the Europeans.

I got a hunch on this one! :wink:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm disappointed with the selection as well as the process. I think it's extremely unreasonable for the coaches to expect 14 players to spend weeks and pay out of pocket expenses auditioning for 5 spots, particularly when some of them are heavy long shots.

Additionally, it kind of rubs me the wrong way that some great players didn't make the list of candidates. I don't want to drag my friends into this without their consent but there are a few players I can think of that play extremely strong and would be a good fit on the MC that aren't on that list.

I get it. They want yes men, people that will ask 'how high' when told to jump, those that will go through their boot camps and travel the country and pay for the honor of being rejected. They want options so the coaches maintain a sense of power and control.

No coach I've ever heard interviewed has said they got to the top by recruiting weak players that were easy to handle and they could boss around. Strong leaders recruit top talent and understand that comes with extreme personalities. What makes them great leaders is not a lack of conflict but the ability to manage that conflict to benefit from those superstars. This seems backwards to me, insulting to the better players that weren't cherry picked, and very ineffective towards our chances of winning.

No problem. I get that it's not my show and no one asked me. This isn't a tournament, it's an entertainment event and they are making it more like a movie or TV show than a competition. But this is where if it was a movie I'd turn it off because I've not only lost interest, it pains me to watch any more. I'll stick to open competitions where everyone can put up their entry and the best pool is rewarded. The only interest I have left in the MC is if I can get a healthy bet in on Europe.

nicksaint26

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm disappointed with the selection as well as the process. I think it's extremely unreasonable for the coaches to expect 14 players to spend weeks and pay out of pocket expenses auditioning for 5 spots, particularly when some of them are heavy long shots.

Additionally, it kind of rubs me the wrong way that some great players didn't make the list of candidates. I don't want to drag my friends into this without their consent but there are a few players I can think of that play extremely strong and would be a good fit on the MC that aren't on that list.

I get it. They want yes men, people that will ask 'how high' when told to jump, those that will go through their boot camps and travel the country and pay for the honor of being rejected. They want options so the coaches maintain a sense of power and control.

No coach I've ever heard interviewed has said they got to the top by recruiting weak players that were easy to handle and they could boss around. Strong leaders recruit top talent and understand that comes with extreme personalities. What makes them great leaders is not a lack of conflict but the ability to manage that conflict to benefit from those superstars. This seems backwards to me, insulting to the better players that weren't cherry picked, and very ineffective towards our chances of winning.

No problem. I get that it's not my show and no one asked me. This isn't a tournament, it's an entertainment event and they are making it more like a movie or TV show than a competition. But this is where if it was a movie I'd turn it off because I've not only lost interest, it pains me to watch any more. I'll stick to open competitions where everyone can put up their entry and the best pool is rewarded. The only interest I have left in the MC is if I can get a healthy bet in on Europe.

Well said and I agree 100% with everything you wrote!

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This......
If Shane is not automatically on the team,this is a farce from day one.Start clearing space on the mantle Europe.

The “boot camp” is a joke.5 badass players that don’t have any glaring attitude problems should be able to fly in 3 days early and light the world on fire.Whatever,let the dog and pony show begin.