Successful experiment

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been feeling like trying a heavier cue for some time

I finally ordered a player from Runde at 20.7

I knew that Efren ,Willie,,and many others plated heavy at times,especially steel joint

Gus advocated 59 and 21 ,his cue specs

At any rate i got my cue and tried it

i have a game i play for practice,ball in hand break shot at 14:1 it usually
takes me about 9 racks to run 15

with my new Runde at 20.7 I ran 15 balls 6 times in a row.
I admit I got a few rolls,but I still liked the way my cue played

i never got in the next rack because i don't play that good,
but this is quite an improvement

Now I am going to buy a much fancier cue,because I know I like
the added weight,especially for shots requiring speed

you guys might want to try a heavier cue

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I'm with you Dean. I have a 21.5 ounce cue that does wonders for your game. I've been saying this for 10+ years. It's almost like cheating it hits so nice. Effortlessly.

j13smiley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another fan of heavier cues.

Mine are all roughly 20.5 one reason I like pechauer cues. The weight bolt is deep which allows a heavier weight yet keeping the cue balanced.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't remember the weight of any cue I've ever played with. Might take a day or so to adjust but after that I'm good to go. The cue I play with now I ordered new from a maker and I haven't ever weighed it. Didn't even ask the maker to make it a certain weight, just told him to make it and send it to me.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
has anyone considered that given the heavier weight the "balance" of the cue is what could be attributing to the better game play, since "timing" is what I am sure was affected the most.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, 20.5 to 21 OZ. cues here, all full 13mm shafts.

My first real cue was a Palmer, 21 and 13mm. (wish I still had it!)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
has anyone considered that given the heavier weight the "balance" of the cue is what could be attributing to the better game play, since "timing" is what I am sure was affected the most.
What is "timing", and how is it affected by cue balance?

pj
chgo

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have a new Palmer at 21 now too

Old Palmer box cue,new to me

it feels good too

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the early years I liked a 21... As time went by I went lighter. Currently using a Schon H4 at about 18.... not sure how much with a REVO & mid extension/adaptor on it. I might add some weight to a Predator and see how 21 plays (just for kicks)

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

do you follow baseball (if not it's ok) see how the ball reacts when the swing matches the pitch height and speed perfectly "a well timed hit" is what I think they've said at some time. Now apply that to pool with you matching not only the element of the shot but at the time your cue made contact you wrist was not too forward or backward of being under your elbow. This random act lends itself to when you see what someone might call a weak, sloppy or banger hit a shot just so damn sweet that you can't help but say "how the hell did he hit that so good?" or something to that effect, not that they can repeat it or even be able to explain what they did to get the desired reaction. Now go back to baseball and take that player who plays with an X weight bat, give them a lighter or heavier one and see how their "timing" changes.
Some cues have heavy shafts some are light, some heavy but and some not, take the weight bolt out of a cue with X weight and now see how the balance has shifted so that now acceleration at certain points in the stroke has changed.
That's my take on it.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, my game improved years ago when I went up between 20 and 21 oz. For whatever reason that weight helps me keep my grip looser allowing the weight to control the cue ball, instead of me trying to muscle it. If I have to use a lighter cue, I use less fingers on the grip hand, sometimes just the index finger, to maintain a light touch.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

do you follow baseball (if not it's ok) see how the ball reacts when the swing matches the pitch height and speed perfectly "a well timed hit" is what I think they've said at some time.
Well, except that the CB isn't coming at you 90 miles an hour...

take the weight bolt out of a cue with X weight and now see how the balance has shifted so that now acceleration at certain points in the stroke has changed.
I don't follow this at all.

That's my take on it.
Thanks for the reply, even though it doesn't make much sense to me.

pj
chgo

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

It doesn't matter the speed my friend the point one needs to "time the swing" yes based on the speed but we're "I" am talking about the point when the bat meets the ball.

do you understand how the weight bolt not only adds weight but affect the balance of the cue? It's a conical item therefore the weight has to be distributed is a specific manner, either make the head huge or add weight to the bottom, it's impossible to adjust the weight without doing that. Just think about it for a second, it's specifically the purpose of the bolt.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

which do you think you can swing faster, a lighter bat or a heavier bat? when the motion starts just like a car acceleration builds (unless you're talking about a Tesla I guess) same goes for your swing.

Now just for the few of you the idea behind a lighter cue is too remove the muscle it take to swing a heavy cue so that "you" can now "feel" the shot, but hey I've always said that there are different styles and requirement so almost anything can work the key is finding the thing that coincides with your specific type/style of play, so maybe it's a Revo, maybe its a Maple, maybe it's high deflection, hard time, soft tip, front heavy, back heavy take your pick results is what matters

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what a crock

I have been feeling like trying a heavier cue for some time

I finally ordered a player from Runde at 20.7

I knew that Efren ,Willie,,and many others plated heavy at times,especially steel joint

Gus advocated 59 and 21 ,his cue specs

At any rate i got my cue and tried it

i have a game i play for practice,ball in hand break shot at 14:1 it usually
takes me about 9 racks to run 15

with my new Runde at 20.7 I ran 15 balls 6 times in a row.
I admit I got a few rolls,but I still liked the way my cue played

i never got in the next rack because i don't play that good,
but this is quite an improvement

Now I am going to buy a much fancier cue,because I know I like
the added weight,especially for shots requiring speed

you guys might want to try a heavier cue

Don't think for one minute that I don't see through this bunch of Bull.
This is just one more feeble attempt to get me to not borrow them.
First "Oh you wouldn't like this cue it's 90" long", then the shaft on
this one is 4mm and a giant conical taper , looks just like a snow cone.
Not this one either no wrap, just holes in the handle you stick your fingers
through,yeah sure. "It's a shame I can't post pictures of them for you".
Makes me glad I put you in right field.
jack

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you will have to excuse Jackpot ,he is not happy now that I sold my Revo shaft that he wanted to borrow again

Seems he wants my Paul drexler with Wylie Coyote and road runner gambling

but Now I have to buy a 12.9 mm Revo Back

He is referring to the time about 50 years ago when he ran me in as a ringer so his company could win the city championship, he got nervous when I took the third baseman's head off with a line drive in the first inning so he put me out in right field so far away that no one would know me

We lost and i got the blame because the shortstop made 6 errors,I told him I was a shortstop,
but he thought I was bragging about my pool abilities which he knew were not that level

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They all used heavier cues in the pre simonis days I believe.

Last edited:

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
I agree with nostroke, I used to use a 21oz. But with the faster cloth and livelier rails a little lighter cue is easier for me to control on softer shots.