My first CTE Lesson

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a Small World After all.

I have been playing pool since I was seven, shining shoes in bars, I'm 63.
I have been playing pool lately with a older gentlemen, who has owned numerous pool rooms over the years in the San Jose area.
I like playing with him because he is a serious player and doesn't talk much. We are each trying hard to beat each other's heart out.
We play Mondays and Tuesdays from 6:30 till closing, usually around 1:00 am.

Last night we took a break and he said, Barney, I want to show you a system that a old friend of mine and I developed many years ago in my pool room.
He said Center to Edge is what he and Hal Houle called it.

I was stunned because of all the AZ Billiards issues on Aiming and Systems today.
I have been struggling with my aim and now suffer from Paralysis by Analysis.
Trying to find the secrets of aiming to bring my game back to the way it used to be.

In 1970 I was at San Jose State and took a class being held by Hal Mix.
Hal and I became good friends and he began teaching me One Pocket.

I was playing at California Billiards one day and Hal Houle comes up to me and say's Barney you are a great One Pocket player.
I want to teach you my system of aiming.
I said thanks Hal but Hal Mix is working with me now and I need to have just one teacher.

Hal Houle and I became good friends and I would always take care of him whenever I saw him.
I loved listening to his stories, but I regret that I never had him teach me his systems.

So last night, I was taught CTE, not by Hal but his partner who developed CTE.

First my title is Staff Senior Systems Engineer.
I am my worst Nightmare, it is so hard for me to learn.
Because I want to mathematically learn how the system works, so I can understand it, ughhhhhhhhh!

My friend said don't make it complicated, just do it.
I finally got it, but let me say, I could have never got there without him.
I thanked him for explaining the system to me answering my questions over and over again, till I got it.

I hate that it takes me so hard to learn things on my own.

I will be working on CTE with my friend.
My friend said that there is one thing that he and Hal came up with, hymmmmm????

I suspect that it might be in Stan's Pro One DVD and I will buy it next.

That's my story and I am sticking with it, Barney

It is a small world after all.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member

I have been playing pool lately with a older gentlemen, who has owned numerous pool rooms over the years in the San Jose area.
I like playing with him because he is a serious player and doesn't talk much. We are each trying hard to beat each other's heart out.

Last night we took a break and he said, Barney, I want to show you a system that a old friend of mine and I developed many years ago in my pool room.

I was stunned because of all the AZ Billiards issues on Aiming and Systems today.
Trying to find the secrets of aiming to bring my game back to the way it used to be.

I was playing at California Billiards one day and Hal Houle comes up to me and say's Barney you are a great One Pocket player.
I said thanks Hal but Hal Mix is working with me now and I need to have just one teacher.

Hal Houle and I became good friends and I would always take care of him whenever I saw him.
I loved listening to his stories, but I regret that I never had him teach me his systems.

Because I want to mathematically learn how the system works, so I can understand it, ughhhhhhhhh!

I thanked him for explaining the system to me answering my questions over and over again, till I got it.

My friend said that there is one thing that he and Hal came up with, hymmmmm????

That's very interesting. Please keep us informed as to your progress or lack of progress.

BTW, what is your friend's name?

Thanks,

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Progress can only go UP

Pool is constantly showing you that you need to learn.
I am going to work on CTE as you are never too old to learn.

I will talk to my friend, I haven't named him and will ask him for his permission.
He is well respected in the Bay Area and all the old timers over age 30 know or have heard of him.

He is retired and enjoys his privacy, he doesn't play much.
He did ask me why I went to Hardtimes in Bellflower several weeks ago and didn't call him.

He is getting the bug again.
He asked me last night if I was going to play in the local WPPA tournament tonight.

He might show up, I will talk to him if he shows up, Barney

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Welcome to the real deal, CTE.

JoeyA

Silver Member

Pool is constantly showing you that you need to learn.
I am going to work on CTE as you are never too old to learn.

I will talk to my friend, I haven't named him and will ask him for his permission.
He is well respected in the Bay Area and all the old timers over age 30 know or have heard of him.

He is retired and enjoys his privacy, he doesn't play much.
He did ask me why I went to Hardtimes in Bellflower several weeks ago and didn't call him.

He is getting the bug again.
He asked me last night if I was going to play in the local WPPA tournament tonight.

He might show up, I will talk to him if he shows up, Barney

That's cool. Let us know if he would mind you sharing his name with us. Also, let me know how old is this fellow.

Thanks,

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
things are slow so i decided to go back and read some old threads
i enjoyed this old thread
no flames.......:eek:.........:smile:
great story (to me )
:thumbup:

JoeyA

Silver Member
Yes, it would be cool if Barney gave us an update on CTE. Personally, I am excited about Stan Shuffett's new book on CTE. It is in the editing stage if I am not mistaken.

JoeyA

things are slow so i decided to go back and read some old threads
i enjoyed this old thread
no flames.......:eek:.........:smile:
great story (to me )
:thumbup:

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
Stan says it's in edition and that the editor can't give a date when it will become available. It's a process and it has to go through the process.

I'm sure it was really hard work, but not being able to give a date just pisses me off. Right now, there is nothing available to help us learn CTE. Stan's DVD are sold out, he removed all video from youtube .. and his truth serie will only be out around the date of the book's release.... which we don't know!

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stan says it's in edition and that the editor can't give a date when it will become available. It's a process and it has to go through the process.

I'm sure it was really hard work, but not being able to give a date just pisses me off. Right now, there is nothing available to help us learn CTE. Stan's DVD are sold out, he removed all video from youtube .. and his truth serie will only be out around the date of the book's release.... which we don't know!

?? Over 100 of his videos are still on YouTube....six years of CTE lessons right there.