Mr 600

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I admire John’s 626 for whatever it is...don’t care what it’s labeled.....
...even if it doesn’t make him a dime, it’s a great feat.

I also admire this woman....don’t care what classification it comes under...

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pksme

I've seen this before and it blew me away! We appreciate the same things. The most amazing feat I've seen in my lifetime was when Philippe Petit walked back and forth 23 times times between the Twin Towers in New York ("To Reach The Clouds"). That topped all the rest.

Mankind's most amazing feat is putting men on the moon - four times! The last time was over 45 years ago and we haven't been able to do it again since!

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
watched the woman before, amazing!

I admire John’s 626 for whatever it is...don’t care what it’s labeled.....
...even if it doesn’t make him a dime, it’s a great feat.

I also admire this woman....don’t care what classification it comes under...

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pksme

I was just talking about the difficulty monetizing john's run. Gonna be tough!

I could do like that woman if I could just find some rib bones that big! Well, maybe not. I was fascinated by jugglers and those that balance things effortlessly as a youngster. I spent a lot of dead time at work trying, not ever going to be something I am good at. Spent countless hours shuffling and dealing cards too, I could do a perfect split and a perfect split between every card. Four shuffles and the deck was back where it started. I could pick up a deck of cards and tell if one was missing too, I could feel the difference between fifty-one and fifty-two cards. Anytime I seemed to balance something though, almost always a cheat somewhere!

Hu

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen this before and it blew me away! We appreciate the same things. The most amazing feat I've seen in my lifetime was when Philippe Petit walked back and forth 23 times times between the Twin Towers in New York ("To Reach The Clouds"). That topped all the rest.

Mankind's most amazing feat is putting men on the moon - four times! The last time was over 45 years ago and we haven't been able to do it again since!

That's because no one considers it a feat worth doing again other wise it would be done again, breaking old records like Hank Aron did loose value after the first time it was set
Most everyone consider Babe to be the best home run hitter of all time just like there is zero guestion Wille is considered the best straight pool player of all time
What both have in common is they were the best under the lights in big moments that added to thier greatness, Hank and John are all so rans

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
626 is a great run. Whether it is tournament run or exhibition run or practice run, may not matter for now. Since only nano % care about this record.

But what if Charlie Williams suddenly revive his World Straight Pool Championships and one of those top guys for eg. Thorsten shoot exactly 626.

Does that mean in record books (of BCA or Guinness or whoever), John’s record will have asterisk like this ?

HIGH RUN RECORD
Thorsten Hohmann 626

*John Schmidt also achieved high run of 626 but in non-tournament conditions in May 2019.

:D

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
626 is a great run. Whether it is tournament run or exhibition run or practice run, may not matter for now. Since only nano % care about this record.

But what if Charlie Williams suddenly revive his World Straight Pool Championships and one of those top guys for eg. Thorsten shoot exactly 626.

Does that mean in record books (of BCA or Guinness or whoever), John’s record will have asterisk like this ?

HIGH RUN RECORD
Thorsten Hohmann 626

*John Schmidt also achieved high run of 626 but in non-tournament conditions in May 2019.

:D

I feel high competitive run should be a separate category...and most prestigious....
...after all, in a match, a decision is made every shot...play safe or go for it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I feel high competitive run should be a separate category...and most prestigious....
...after all, in a match, a decision is made every shot...play safe or go for it.
The rule book, back when it worried more about runs, kept exhibition runs and tournament runs separate.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I guess you haven't been schooled by Max Eberle.

That was all filmed behind a gas station in Arizona.

:)

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're right, they aren't equal.

626 > 526

You evaded the question.

If two race car drivers both drive 500 miles and one does it in 3 hours and the other does it in 4, which one is the greatest race?

Would it make a difference if one driver was on a track that was a 1 mile circle and the other was on a half mile circle?

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
this thread is exactly why AZ is no longer relevent to pool... Jerry doesn't even bother to read his own forumn any more.........

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You evaded the question.

If two race car drivers both drive 500 miles and one does it in 3 hours and the other does it in 4, which one is the greatest race?

Would it make a difference if one driver was on a track that was a 1 mile circle and the other was on a half mile circle?

Not quite the same.

Driving 500 miles isn't hard if you can put your foot on the gas.

Running over 500 balls in straight pool, on the other hand, is hard. Running over 600 balls is much more difficult than running over 500.

Therefore running 626 is a greater accomplishment than running 526.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's because no one considers it a feat worth doing again other wise it would be done again, breaking old records like Hank Aron did loose value after the first time it was set
Most everyone consider Babe to be the best home run hitter of all time just like there is zero guestion Wille is considered the best straight pool player of all time
What both have in common is they were the best under the lights in big moments that added to thier greatness, Hank and John are all so rans

Hank Aaron an also ran? Now that's funny. He's pretty much acknowledged as the greatest hitter of all time, along with Ted Williams.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Of all time?

Ruth would get shut out by today's aces.

I was just talking about the difficulty monetizing john's run. Gonna be tough!
I could do like that woman if I could just find some rib bones that big! Well, maybe not. I was fascinated by jugglers and those that balance things effortlessly as a youngster. I spent a lot of dead time at work trying, not ever going to be something I am good at. Spent countless hours shuffling and dealing cards too, I could do a perfect split and a perfect split between every card. Four shuffles and the deck was back where it started. I could pick up a deck of cards and tell if one was missing too, I could feel the difference between fifty-one and fifty-two cards. Anytime I seemed to balance something though, almost always a cheat somewhere!
Hu
It takes 8 perfect faro shuffles to return a full deck to its original order, not 4.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Of all time?

Ruth would get shut out by today's aces.

Yes, and Jesse Owens loses to Usain Bolt in the 100 meters by nearly a second, but so what? A man can only be judged by the standards of his own day and his performance against his own contemporaries.

Finally, in the Bible, there is a book of Ruth but not a book of Aaron. Case closed.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, and Jesse Owens loses to Usain Bolt in the 100 meters by nearly a second, but so what? A man can only be judged by the standards of his own day and his performance against his own contemporaries.

That's exactly my point.

I agree Ruth was a great hitter, in his era.

But of all time? That's laughable.