Mr 600

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
could be ...

It takes 8 perfect faro shuffles to return a full deck to its original order, not 4.

Could be eight to get the suits right. Seems like it was three or four times to put the numbers in order again. Might have been eight to do that but I don't remember it taking that many shuffles to know where every card in the deck was at. I'm working from memory from over fifty years ago so always possible I simply forgot how many shuffles anything took. Three or four shuffles resulted in some order that was handy to know but I've slept a bunch of times since playing with cards for hours when I was sitting around alone and bored.

Hu

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's exactly my point.

I agree Ruth was a great hitter, in his era.

But of all time? That's laughable.

It's not a point ,, you are judged how you did against your peers , 6 times Ruth doubled up the next closet to him in home runs run for his career he averaged over 40 homers and batted 342,,
He was also voted either 1or 2 for the best athlete of the century
Point being is even today Babe is mentioned in the discussion of the best , something that simply won't be the case for JS

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Quote: BeiberLvr
Of all time?

Ruth would get shut out by today's aces.

It's not a point ,, you are judged how you did against your peers , 6 times Ruth doubled up the next closet to him in home runs run for his career he averaged over 40 homers and batted 342,,
He was also voted either 1or 2 for the best athlete of the century
Point being is even today Babe is mentioned in the discussion of the best , something that simply won't be the case for JS

Of course. Not only are you "judged against your peers" but you also play against your peers , all during the same time frame. I'm pretty damn sure that if the pitchers of Ruth's time threw the same ball they use today and pitched at the same speeds the batters would have adjusted their swing to meet the challenge. Ruth may have hit even more home runs...:)

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Of course. Not only are you "judged against your peers" but you also play against your peers , all during the same time frame. I'm pretty damn sure that if the pitchers of Ruth's time threw the same ball they use today and at the same speeds the batters would have adjusted their swing to meet the challenge. Ruth may have hit even more home runs...:)

Yep...I think ‘greats’ should be considered in the context of their own eras.

The Great Dan Patch was pacing two-minute miles on dirt tracks at the turn of the last
century...with today’s training and equipment and modern racing surfaces...
...he would have a shot at winning the Indy..:eek:

...and I’m not going to disregard Plato and Socrates because they didn’t know anything
about IPhones.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course. Not only are you "judged against your peers" but you also play against your peers , all during the same time frame. I'm pretty damn sure that if the pitchers of Ruth's time threw the same ball they use today and pitched at the same speeds the batters would have adjusted their swing to meet the challenge. Ruth may have hit even more home runs...:)

Zero question in my mind ,

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
That's exactly my point.

I agree Ruth was a great hitter, in his era.

But of all time? That's laughable.

It isn't laughable, Ruth was the best, so far beyond his peers that it may never be duplicated. Nobody has even come close to Ruth's standards relative to the standards of one's own era.

Ruth is the best home run hitter ever ... by a country mile.

In golf, Jack Nicklaus sure didn't hit is as far as the players of today. Are we to conclude that Bubba Watson, whose average drive is about 50 yards further than Jack's in his prime, is a much, much, much better driver of the golf ball than Jack, or are we supposed to recognize that Jack played in an era where 270 yards off the tee was crazy long?

You need to rethink this.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally speaking, I will pay up to $100 for a DVD of it.

Cost really not an issue for me. The fewer he sells, the more valuable the original/authorized copy may likely become (you never know what ‘retro’ attraction might appeal to future generations). Vintage cars are uncomfortable/inconvenient and hard to maintain, but prices somehow still keep going up. You can buy classic literature to read for pennies, but the first editions usually cost more than a house.

Whatever, not really the point. Goes without saying John is a monster ‘ball-making’ machine, so watching him pocket (easy) shots one after the other could be ‘ho hum’. I already know how to beat a scratch off the rack, I just want to see if I can learn how to continually spread the balls adequately, and not end up hopelessly hooked! Anybody who can do it 44 times in a row must have a secret I’ve missed, and his last effort was the top of his learning experience.
Kicking out only a few at a time doesn’t seem to get me anywhere. Whenever I break them harder, I either end up frozen behind a ball, or whitey gets knocked into a hole.
Besides, $100, $200, what price do you put on history anyway?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nicklaus

It isn't laughable, Ruth was the best, so far beyond his peers that it may never be duplicated. Nobody has even come close to Ruth's standards relative to the standards of one's own era.

Ruth is the best home run hitter ever ... by a country mile.

In golf, Jack Nicklaus sure didn't hit is as far as the players of today. Are we to conclude that Bubba Watson, whose average drive is about 50 yards further than Jack's in his prime, is a much, much, much better driver of the golf ball than Jack, or are we supposed to recognize that Jack played in an era where 270 yards off the tee was crazy long?

You need to rethink this.

Monsters like Nicklaus and Ruth only come along once in generations. A company executive was in a pro-am foursome with Jack. The executive went on to win a couple senior tour events so he wasn't bad. He said first tee, the other three drove, Jack drove last, about fifty yards further than anyone straight up the middle. The executive said he knew then he was in for a long and humiliating day!

Hu

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Cost really not an issue for me. The fewer he sells, the more valuable the original/authorized copy may likely become (you never know what ‘retro’ attraction might appeal to future generations). Vintage cars are uncomfortable/inconvenient and hard to maintain, but prices somehow still keep going up. You can buy classic literature to read for pennies, but the first editions usually cost more than a house.

Whatever, not really the point. Goes without saying John is a monster ‘ball-making’ machine, so watching him pocket (easy) shots one after the other could be ‘ho hum’. I already know how to beat a scratch off the rack, I just want to see if I can learn how to continually spread the balls adequately, and not end up hopelessly hooked! Anybody who can do it 44 times in a row must have a secret I’ve missed, and his last effort was the top of his learning experience.
Kicking out only a few at a time doesn’t seem to get me anywhere. Whenever I break them harder, I either end up frozen behind a ball, or whitey gets knocked into a hole.
Besides, $100, $200, what price do you put on history anyway?

Investment? To each his own.

Free tips:

1) On break shots, know which ball(s) in the pack to hit and at what speed, eventually you will remember and know where the cue ball and balls from the pack are going. Always try to get the cue free from the pack and rails and out towards to the middle of the table as possible.

2) When breaking small clusters, leave yourself an insurance ball, something free or hanging close to the pocket in case you get in trouble. Know where all the ball are going.

Practice understanding where the balls are going by taking a handful of balls, maybe six, and place them randomly in a bunch in the middle of the table, some could be kissing, but not necessarily all, but close enough to one another that they will all move when one is struck. Take the cue ball and place it close to the pack aiming for that ball which will make them all move. Before you strike that ball medium speed, try and figure out how, why, and where all six balls will move. When you master this, you will likely never get hooked after breaking up the pack or a cluster again. :smile:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Investment? To each his own.

Free tips:

1) On break shots, know which ball(s) in the pack to hit and at what speed, eventually you will remember and know where the cue ball and balls from the pack are going. Always try to get the cue free from the pack and rails and out towards to the middle of the table as possible.

2) When breaking small clusters, leave yourself an insurance ball, something free or hanging close to the pocket in case you get in trouble. Know where all the ball are going.

Practice understanding where the balls are going by taking a handful of balls, maybe six, and place them randomly in a bunch in the middle of the table, some could be kissing, but not necessarily all, but close enough to one another that they will all move when one is struck. Take the cue ball and place it close to the pack aiming for that ball which will make them all move. Before you strike that ball medium speed, try and figure out how, why, and where all six balls will move. When you master this, you will likely never get hooked after breaking up the pack or a cluster again. :smile:

Clean and polish balls ,reverse rack to the breaking end of the table and play with a Revo shaft :D

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr 626 not Mr 600

John is Mr 626 not Mr 600. Why rob him of 26 ? They call him Mr 626 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8Wbi1ts0-Y

It is like you win $626K in a lottery and the lottery company of their own volition says pays you round number of only $600K.
And imagine if someone else runs 601 , there will be two Mr 600
:grin-square:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Babe Ruth is the only baseball player who ever lived that made the hall of fame as a fielder/batter and was also considered good enough as a major league pitcher that, if he continued pitching; he would have been a HOF pitcher as well.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe first time he actually ran exactly 400?
I think that's correct and at the time he had never run 300 or more. When he ran the 626 he had never had a run in the 500s and still does not, so far as I know, and may never have a "500" run.

I wish I could skip over 100s when I set a personal high run. Maybe I should count tens.:grin:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that's correct and at the time he had never run 300 or more. When he ran the 626 he had never had a run in the 500s and still does not, so far as I know, and may never have a "500" run.

I wish I could skip over 100s when I set a personal high run. Maybe I should count tens.:grin:

Bob, the fact that John is able to beat his personal best by 100's should be proof to just how high of a gear he has when he catches it.

I would love to see him catch "that gear" while in a competition that lets the player continue their run.

If it ever happens there will be a lot of people to see John in a different light than they currently do.

Jeff