Straight Stroke Drill

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw this on YouTube the other day and have been doing this drill the very first thing when I go down to my table every day. I shoot it with a center ball/follow stroke, stop shot stroke, and draw stroke.

I have been leaving about 1/16" of an inch clearance for the CB on both sides between the 1B and the 3B. This is pretty difficult to do and might be better to start between the short rails.

Just wondering what everyone might think of this drill?

r/DCP

p.s. ignore the little black line.

Attachments

• StrokeDrill.png
    StrokeDrill.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 755

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually do this with the two balls (about 3-4 inches apart) by the foot spot and try to roll the cue ball back between them. Easier to setup.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually do this with the two balls (about 3-4 inches apart) by the foot spot and try to roll the cue ball back between them. Easier to setup.

3-4 inches apart? That's a lot of room for error. Helen Keller could probably do that.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw this on YouTube the other day and have been doing this drill the very first thing when I go down to my table every day. I shoot it with a center ball/follow stroke, stop shot stroke, and draw stroke.

I have been leaving about 1/16" of an inch clearance for the CB on both sides between the 1B and the 3B. This is pretty difficult to do and might be better to start between the short rails.

r/DCP

I think you’re better off putting those object balls closer to the cueball and shoot through the object balls, rebound off the end rail and come back through the two onject balls. Better yet is to hit a stop shot to drive an object ball through the two object balls, have it come back to go between the two stationary objrft balll gate and hit the cueball. Best is to have that cueball driven back to the closer end rail and rebound back to hit the driven object ball. I hit the third version on the first try about ten years ago and never have attempted it again.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/DCP

There are quite a few really helpful drills for a straight stroke out there and each can have several levels of difficulty depending on: room between the balls, spin used, speed used etc. Each particular drill is used to achieve certain goals. When it comes to this drill on the picture it is a great drill to start with for learning to walk into the shot correctly, when you make sure your visual center is on the line and while you walk into the shot your head moves along this line and your body follows. It can tell you a lot about your preparation routine and alignment. Of course you can also use imagination to modify any drill... use a mirror or the camera etc. for certain goals;)

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you’re better off putting those object balls closer to the cueball and shoot through the object balls, rebound off the end rail and come back through the two onject balls. Better yet is to hit a stop shot to drive an object ball through the two object balls, have it come back to go between the two stationary objrft balll gate and hit the cueball. Best is to have that cueball driven back to the closer end rail and rebound back to hit the driven object ball. I hit the third version on the first try about ten years ago and never have attempted it again.

I’ve seen a retired champion put the two balls at the other end so cueball returns straight up and back sorta like you’re saying

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

r/DCP

Too boring imo.
Do a straight in shot, corner to corner.
Stop the cue ball, follow and draw . Place markers where you want to follow and draw.
A lot more useful imo .

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do a straight in shot, corner to corner.
Stop the cue ball, follow and draw . Place markers where you want to follow and draw.
A lot more useful imo .

^^^^
That's what I do, corner to corner.. right to left, and vice versa. That's a shot
that comes up for real. I try to stop the rock right where the OB was.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member

r/DCP

Mother of all drills.

Only I do it with no balls on the end rail and the cue ball hits off the end rail, comes back to the rail I'm hitting from and back to the footspot.

You don't need the two balls on the end rail. You'll know if you hit incorrectly because it won't come back to the footspot.

Once you can put the cb on the footspot 10x, do the same drill and put backspin on the cb. Then do it with top spin. Then change where the cb stops, a slower speed version nand a faster speed version. Much harder with backspin on the ball.