I have a lesson with Mike Sigel 21 January, 2019

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
So, I've been looking for a tune up before Derby, and am travelling to first WA, then FL in the week before Derby.. Given that not many top flight champions live in WA, that really only left FL as the plausible choice.

In central Florida, the only options I really saw were Ray Martin and Mike Sigel. These guys really appealed to me apart from being top top champions, but because I live in Germany, and therefore I play straight pool in league, and am basically helpless at it (although wierdly enough being American with no history in the game, I am still the best 14.1 player on my team.).

Looking back through reviews of both players, I noted that I had actually swore off Mike Sigel in a thread that came out around the same time as the IPT debacle, and I was pretty pi55ed at Mike for bringing Kevin Trudeau into the fold.

Time heals all wounds, I guess. The players got paid, and Mike hustled the hustler. I can't hate on him.

So, there it is. I am going to spend at least 4 hours with Mike and will report back with results. For those who might ask, the price I was quoted was VERY reasonable for a 4 hour lesson. I won't divulge what that price was, only to say that I would have paid a little more and still been comfortable with the outlay.

Short Bus Russ

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I had a lesson with Mike a couple of years ago and it was worth every penny. I live in CT and flew down to FL just for the lesson. Mike is every bit as good a teacher as he is/was a champion pool player. He is specific and articulate. He can diagnose what's holding you back in seconds. In spite of his reputation as a hustler, he is a conscientious teacher. He will work you hard, but you'll love him for it. You'll walk out a better player in the moment and what he's taught you will grow & continue to play dividends for years to come.

Please tell Mike, "Steve the Therapist" from CT said hello.

Enjoy & please report back. Best, -Z-

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I'm eager to here your report of the session. Mike has always been one of my favorite players because I liked the fact that he played such great 14.1 and 9 ball. I think once you get to a certain skill level lessons with champion players would be extremely beneficial in gaining insight into how to get to that next level.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I've been looking for a tune up before Derby, and am travelling to first WA, then FL in the week before Derby.. Given that not many top flight champions live in WA, that really only left FL as the plausible choice.

In central Florida, the only options I really saw were Ray Martin and Mike Sigel. These guys really appealed to me apart from being top top champions, but because I live in Germany, and therefore I play straight pool in league, and am basically helpless at it (although wierdly enough being American with no history in the game, I am still the best 14.1 player on my team.).

Looking back through reviews of both players, I noted that I had actually swore off Mike Sigel in a thread that came out around the same time as the IPT debacle, and I was pretty pi55ed at Mike for bringing Kevin Trudeau into the fold.

Time heals all wounds, I guess. The players got paid, and Mike hustled the hustler. I can't hate on him.

So, there it is. I am going to spend at least 4 hours with Mike and will report back with results. For those who might ask, the price I was quoted was VERY reasonable for a 4 hour lesson. I won't divulge what that price was, only to say that I would have paid a little more and still been comfortable with the outlay.

Short Bus Russ

Ray is in NC now so you only had one choice of the two in Florida.

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
I didn't know he was still there. I just had a lesson by accident with Rodney Morris over in Sanford last month. I was in the area checking out the pool rooms and he takes up on the table right next to me. I introduced myself and ask if he teaches. He said sure, come on.

Is Mike still in Winter Garden?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't know he was still there. I just had a lesson by accident with Rodney Morris over in Sanford last month. I was in the area checking out the pool rooms and he takes up on the table right next to me. I introduced myself and ask if he teaches. He said sure, come on.

Is Mike still in Winter Garden?

Racks is a great pool hall

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
What do you want to work on with Mike Sigel?
JoeyA

Short Bus Russ

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
What do you want to work on with Mike Sigel?
JoeyA

14.1, specific shot types, and general situational thinking. I feel a lot of times I am "winging it" in marginal situations, rather than having a methodology to guide me. I had a few matches last year where at some point I "turned it on" to the point I was "supposed" to blow my opponent out of the water from that point on, but made mediocre choices here and there and let them grind their way back in to the match.

Realistically, I think Mike may be able to open my eyes to some of the stuff that I don't know that I don't know.

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
Do you have video of you playing?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Russ vs Ghost

Note: This is on a VERY springy Red Label Diamond. Banks extremely short. This table kinda gave me the yips now and then. I now have a Gold Crown III with extended rails, that likely plays slightly tougher than a ProCut Diamond.

I don't have any current video, but I do feel like I am playing a little better these days, if only because I am not as "scared" of the rails...

Short Bus Russ

Last edited:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Russ vs Ghost

Note: This is on a VERY springy Red Label Diamond. Banks extremely short. This table kinda gave me the yips now and then. I now have a Gold Crown III with extended rails, that likely plays slightly tougher than a ProCut Diamond.

I don't have any current video, but I do feel like I am playing a little better these days..

Short Bus Russ

You video is blocked. Bummer

pfd studios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lesson with Mike Sigel

I think that you will find the time with Mike very productive. For as long as I have known Mike I did not appreciate the fact that Mike CAN TEACH until he was here in Connecticut doing a shooting exhibition at one of the local pool rooms. Great shooter, yes, World Champion, yes, Hall of Fame player, yes . . . but the ability to actually teach - VERY IMPRESSIVE. I have personally known many of the greatest: Crane, Cranfield, Martin, Liscotti among others, all world class players - but the real ability to teach is rare among them . . . Mike can teach - enjoy !!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that you will find the time with Mike very productive. For as long as I have known Mike I did not appreciate the fact that Mike CAN TEACH until he was here in Connecticut doing a shooting exhibition at one of the local pool rooms. Great shooter, yes, World Champion, yes, Hall of Fame player, yes . . . but the ability to actually teach - VERY IMPRESSIVE. I have personally known many of the greatest: Crane, Cranfield, Martin, Liscotti among others, all world class players - but the real ability to teach is rare among them . . . Mike can teach - enjoy !!

Does he have any handouts?

Lou Figueroa
a projector maybe?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does he have any handouts?

Lou Figueroa
a projector maybe?

Mike would be a better instructor if he did. Maybe you can remember 100% of everything you learned in a 4 hour lesson. Most of us can't and would like to take out a piece of paper in the days after showing us the drills, banks, kicks, safeties, aiming, double kissing, forced follow, etc. You are so special.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably a good idea to tape it on your phone... you might not
remember half of what he says, once he gets going :wink:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Setup a go pro or two.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

I do not believe most teaching pros will allow that. Sure as hell, the video would be here on AZB or YouTube. I think most instructors believe their teaching is private, and for their students for a price. Not to be broadcast to the many. They can pay the $$$ and go get the lesson themselves.