Aiming Systems, Teachers, Etc.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Riding one win for more mileage than anyone I have ever seen....good on ya fella...was a good match...but shit, put up for a rematch or stop riding a 5 year old win like its the only game JB ever played. Low rent.

JB and I have over 15 years of bad blood between us and he famously said he wanted that match recorded (he paid for Pat Fleming and crew to do it) so that the memory of my defeat at his hands would “be seared into my memory for all time.”

So it’s been five years, not even close to “all time.” But thanks for your interest in national defense.

Lou Figueroa

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't use a system. Learned 20+ years ago by starting out on a friends table, in the bar with my dad, and by myself in the pool hall when I was able to earn enough money to afford the table time. I learned how to make a shot without a whit of instruction. Picked up a gem here and there from better players, To this day I do not use a system. Not to say I haven't lined a few up to see what they (systems) offer...always seemed to make the game harder than I felt it needed to be. I can run the occasional 6 pack without you leaving your seat, I can also go four or five shots in a row without making a duck...systems are unnecessary (fundamentals more important than many think though), especially for those who are well into their 3rd decade of shooting pool. More power to those that do use "systems", but I find whatever you think makes you better, initially does, because your concentration level goes up (new cue) (new tip)...I think anyone that is truly a great pool player is better at the concentration end of pool than the rest of it...Just my humble opinion.

Very similar to myself here. I learned on my own with a set of old pool balls given to me by the owner of bar that had caught fire and burned to the ground. At 16 I would break into Maclin Hall dorm at the local college, afterhours, climb right through an unlocked window into the rec room where an old 9ft gold crown table sat. I carried the pool balls in a black leather sachel/briefcase. I had a Mali cue given to me by one of my dad's friends.

I think you're right about the importance of fundamentals, and there are many lessons better learned on your own -- just you and the table, paying attention to what works, what doesn't work, to what feels right, etc.... Eventually you're gonna get good at it -- months if you play every day with determination, or years if you just give it a so so effort.

I think a good solid aiming system can dramatically speed the learning process up, but I never found such a system. They all require months of practice to perfect, which is no different than learning via the old school rote method. So years later, having learned the old school way, I designed a system that could actually speed up the learning process for others. I'm not preaching about my book, just saying that aiming systems can actually be very useful tools to help build solid skills, as long as you don't have to spend months trying to get the system to work. In that case all you're really doing is learning via rote, trial and error, making things work as you go.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JB and I have over 15 years of bad blood between us and he famously said he wanted that match recorded (he paid for Pat Fleming and crew to do it) so that the memory of my defeat at his hands would “be seared into my memory for all time.”

So it’s been five years, not even close to “all time.” But thanks for your interest in national defense.

Lou Figueroa

I know there will not ever be a rematch but i am curious. Do you think even is the game or do you feel JB needs a spot?

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there will not ever be a rematch but i am curious. Do you think even is the game or do you feel JB needs a spot?

Hey cookie -
I know this wasn't directed at me but, since I was there for the match, I would say John DEFINITELY needs a spot. I don't feel the match was ever really in doubt.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey cookie -
I know this wasn't directed at me but, since I was there for the match, I would say John DEFINITELY needs a spot. I don't feel the match was ever really in doubt.

Damnit, man, are we talking about the same match?!

It was 8-6 after the first day! Only A TWO GAME spread. Coulda gone either way. Totally an even match up.

Lou Figueroa
lucky to escape

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damnit, man, are we talking about the same match?!

It was 8-6 after the first day! Only A TWO GAME spread. Coulda gone either way. Totally an even match up.

Lou Figueroa
lucky to escape

Funny how that spread widened once "cornerman(not Freddie)" was no longer in the corner ;)