AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
--------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
More Mosconi book gobbledygook about how to aim using fractions. This image is from that book.
What a bunch of horsefeathers....he never did this. And he wasn't educated well enough to write a book in the first place. He didn't even finish high school.He was too busy robbing people in pool shooting exhibitions. (Grady Mathews said Mosconi wouldn't bet 5 bucks that he was even alive. Fat Man said the same thing...(I didn't like Fat Boy, but he would gamble his own money, that's more than most would do)
This gobbledygook about fractional aiming has been around since 1953 and it STILL won't work.
It's a lie.
View attachment 516170

Yes, another brilliant discovery on your part. Lol.

This is the ONE illustration (as I've already stated) in that whole little red book that contains anything remotely close to fractional aiming. There is a sentence that says, "all shots can be figured mathematically, so to speak", but he never goes into the math, never mentions calculating fractions, and never mentions or shows anything about fractional aiming. He used ghostball, and his book talks about contact points.

This misrepresentation of yours has already been debunked, yet you still can't admit it. It's fine. Anyone who can read, and has access to this little red book, knows you're wrong. And I'm cool with that.

From your "crackpot" writer of the "gobbledy-gook" filled "sterling epic", Poolology. :thumbup: (your words in quotes, and I like them because they put a smile on my face):smile:

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
And.............they treat Stan Shuffett with respect like civilized people should do.
And.............they know that any "method or gobbledygook system" that is hyped as being able to help a player from mediocrity into excellence in 10 minutes is just a bunch of crud. It don't exist and it never has....it's a lie.

You are on a roll, Pete!

Just so you know, I do have respect for Stan Shuffett, both as a player and instructor. I have heard nothing but good things about Stan, and a couple of guys I know have gone to him for lessons.

As far as going from mediocre to excellent in 10 minutes, I don't know of anyone saying this about any aiming system. That is your own little lie. I have seen players, however, catch onto an aiming system that works easily within minutes right out of the gate. But that alone won't catapult them into excellence, and no one has said such a thing, well....except you.:rolleyes:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
More Mosconi book gobbledygook about how to aim using fractions. This image is from that book.
What a bunch of horsefeathers....he never did this. And he wasn't educated well enough to write a book in the first place. He didn't even finish high school.He was too busy robbing people in pool shooting exhibitions. (Grady Mathews said Mosconi wouldn't bet 5 bucks that he was even alive. Fat Man said the same thing...(I didn't like Fat Boy, but he would gamble his own money, that's more than most would do)
This gobbledygook about fractional aiming has been around since 1953 and it STILL won't work.
It's a lie.
View attachment 516170

What do you mean: "won't work"? This is pretty much how many snooker players shoot. It's rote repetition, but with a systematic approach, using discrete categories. The categories are few and easy to remember. This is a PRACTICAL system of playing, that emphasizes results and observations, rather than esoteric theories that NEVER work on the common shots! In snooker especially, rote repetition is important, because balls are spotted at particular spots, throughout the game and knowing every angle from those is critically important. Not to say that it doesn't work in pool, but that's probably one of the main reasons it's so popular in snooker. Once a player has drilled in the 3/4 and 1/2 ball angle, there is very little that can go wrong even under big pressure. The procedure is simple and straightforward, which gives confidence, unlike more complicated systems that have 3 or 4 steps that each can be bungled in non-obvious ways. For CTE it would be picking the wrong visual, the wrong sweep, performing the sweep incorrectly....the list goes on. For both, placing the bridgehand inaccurately is a concern, as well as faulty legwork, but for a fractional (non pivot) system, it's much easier to identify and correct these mistakes, especially since you are ALWAYS DOING THE SAME THING, whereas in pivot aiming (especially with alternating pivots like CTE) you are doing it differently, shot by shot. I'm not saying you can't make CTE work, but from a standpoint of functionality of the system, it's hard to go against something as rooted and simple as fractional when your feet are in the CTE camp.

Snooker (and modern pool) often uses slow, delicate shots, that have throw, like stuns and slow run-throughs. These are the shots that needs to be practised, learned and understood and is the basis of fractional system learning. That's why people learn to play WITH throw, and at moderate speeds of stroke, which let them be in control of the cueball and let the pockets play properly. The fractional system(s) is about teaching to play at these speeds. The days of hitting all shots firmly with draw have gone by, you simply cannot do that on a Diamond with Simonis, without traveling 3 or 4 rails on every shot. Theoretically "perfect" systems tend to disregard throw, which leaves the compensation up to the players subconscious. Basically the player is taught something that doesn't really happen much and has to work from there, rather than shooting a shot over and over in a form that WILL come up most of the time. Theoretical systems focus on warp speed draw shots (indirectly, because that's pretty much the only time they work without english), that if you play well, come up maybe twice in a race to 10.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you mean: "won't work"? This is pretty much how many snooker players shoot. It's rote repetition, but with a systematic approach, using discrete categories. The categories are few and easy to remember. This is a PRACTICAL system of playing, that emphasizes results and observations, rather than esoteric theories that NEVER work! In snooker especially, rote repetition is important, because balls are spotted at particular spots, throughout the game and knowing every angle from those is critically important. Not to say that it doesn't work in pool, but that's probably one of the main reasons it's so popular in snooker. Once a player has drilled in the 3/4 and 1/2 ball angle, there is very little that can go wrong even under big pressure. The procedure is simple and straightforward, which gives confidence, unlike more complicated systems that have 3 or 4 steps that each can be bungled in non-obvious ways.

Snooker (and modern pool) often use slow, delicate shots, that have throw, like stuns and slow run-throughs. These are the shots that needs to be practised, learned and understood and is the basis of fractional system learning. That's why people learn to play WITH throw, and at moderate speeds of stroke, which let them be in control of the cueball and let the pockets play properly. The fractional system(s) is about teaching to play at these speeds. The days of hitting all shots firmly with draw have gone by, you simply cannot do that on a Diamond with Simonis, without traveling 3 or 4 rails on every shot. Theoretical systems focus on warp speed draw shots, that if you play well, come up maybe twice in a race to 10.
--------------------

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
What do you mean: "won't work"? This is pretty much how many snooker players shoot. It's rote repetition, but with a systematic approach, using discrete categories. The categories are few and easy to remember. This is a PRACTICAL system of playing, that emphasizes results and observations, rather than esoteric theories that NEVER work on the common shots! In snooker especially, rote repetition is important, because balls are spotted at particular spots, throughout the game and knowing every angle from those is critically important. Not to say that it doesn't work in pool, but that's probably one of the main reasons it's so popular in snooker. Once a player has drilled in the 3/4 and 1/2 ball angle, there is very little that can go wrong even under big pressure. The procedure is simple and straightforward, which gives confidence, unlike more complicated systems that have 3 or 4 steps that each can be bungled in non-obvious ways. For CTE it would be picking the wrong visual, the wrong sweep, performing the sweep incorrectly....the list goes on. For both, placing the bridgehand inaccurately is a concern, as well as faulty legwork, but for a fractional (non pivot) system, it's much easier to identify and correct these mistakes, especially since you are ALWAYS DOING THE SAME THING, whereas in pivot aiming (especially with alternating pivots like CTE) you are doing it differently, shot by shot. I'm not saying you can't make CTE work, but from a standpoint of functionality of the system, it's hard to go against something as rooted and simple as fractional when your feet are in the CTE camp.

Snooker (and modern pool) often uses slow, delicate shots, that have throw, like stuns and slow run-throughs. These are the shots that needs to be practised, learned and understood and is the basis of fractional system learning. That's why people learn to play WITH throw, and at moderate speeds of stroke, which let them be in control of the cueball and let the pockets play properly. The fractional system(s) is about teaching to play at these speeds. The days of hitting all shots firmly with draw have gone by, you simply cannot do that on a Diamond with Simonis, without traveling 3 or 4 rails on every shot. Theoretically "perfect" systems tend to disregard throw, which leaves the compensation up to the players subconscious. Basically the player is taught something that doesn't really happen much and has to work from there, rather than shooting a shot over and over in a form that WILL come up most of the time. Theoretical systems focus on warp speed draw shots (indirectly, because that's pretty much the only time they work without english), that if you play well, come up maybe twice in a race to 10.

Prove it.................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGg0iHpFktc
Pay attention to the simplicity of the procedure. This is why it is widely used. As far as proving what someone is thinking, that is impossible at the moment. But I do know that this is how aiming is taught, most places where snooker is the main game. This also reflects in snooker commentary, where shots are referred to using fractional categories.

Steve Davis is an advocate of fractional aiming and is probably the most widely emulated and admired snooker player, by the top players of today. The next generation of course will say O'Sullivan, but he watched Steve Davis.. The list of players who emulated him is too long to mention. In a way he is the father of the modern snooker game, though a case could be made for Joe Davis etc, when you look at the actual style and methods being used, Steve Davis is the one who took it to the next level.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are on a roll, Pete!

Just so you know, I do have respect for Stan Shuffett, both as a player and instructor. I have heard nothing but good things about Stan, and a couple of guys I know have gone to him for lessons.

As far as going from mediocre to excellent in 10 minutes, I don't know of anyone saying this about any aiming system. That is your own little lie. I have seen players, however, catch onto an aiming system that works easily within minutes right out of the gate. But that alone won't catapult them into excellence, and no one has said such a thing, well....except you.:rolleyes:

Who is this Pete? Is there a Pete Low? A Pete Lowenstein? A Pete 500?

Lou Figueroa
inquiring minds...

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LMAO (if it wasn’t sad), even after 20 years you deny the obvious. Keep up the wall.

pj
chgo

The Wall is being built, and i know you aren't happy about that.
The Truth Series is coming also and i know you aren't very happy about that either.
Not looking like a good year for PJ.

Valiant Thor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a lie

PJ can we meet somewhere in your area for a lesson? Can you demonstrate a good solid way to pocket balls? Pm me .

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Never Mind.jpg

Last edited: