Trouble practicing

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you keep focus while practicing? I can run, usually, in the 20’s during competition. During practice, I struggle to get into the next rack. My high run of 60 came during competition as have each of my times in the 50’s.

What’s the secret to holding concentration while doing drills, practicing patterns, etc?

Andy

Last edited:

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
How do you keep focus while practicing? I can run, usually, in the 20’s during competition. During practice, I struggle to get into the next rack. My high run of 60 came during competition as have each of my times in the 50’s.

What’s the secret to holding concentration while doing drills, practicing patterns, etc?

Andy

How're your pre-shot routines? Are the consistent? I teach my students to develop a mantra to guide them through their shot process. For some the process is easy for others it takes awhile. It too me several weeks before I really started using it on every practice shot.

It helps me focus for that 8-10 seconds during the shot.

If you can do all your thinking about the shot while you're standing then just execute while you are shooting that seems to help.

When I have my high runs, I seem to loose track of the score and am sometimes surprised trying to figure out which rack I'm on.

You might try only counting the racks/frames if the marking of the score is taking you away from you routine.

Just some of my thoughts on this.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I think the missing ingredient is "care" more than concentration. You care about the results in competition and not during practice. Nobody is there to see it, and some of us thrive on the recognition.

Do you own a video camera?
Promise us you'll show a run of 50 on tape, prove to us that you're capable of it. Now practice in front of that camera with the goal of getting that 50 on tape forever. See if that improves your focus.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
I Agree

I think the missing ingredient is "care" more than concentration. You care about the results in competition and not during practice. Nobody is there to see it, and some of us thrive on the recognition.

Promise us you'll show a run of 50 on tape, prove to us that you're capable of it. Now practice in front of that camera with the goal of getting that 50 on tape forever. See if that improves your focus.

I agree 100%. Video taping your self will make you concentrate more on your practice sessions as you do in your matches.

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How're your pre-shot routines? Are the consistent? I teach my students to develop a mantra to guide them through their shot process. For some the process is easy for others it takes awhile. It too me several weeks before I really started using it on every practice shot.

It helps me focus for that 8-10 seconds during the shot.

If you can do all your thinking about the shot while you're standing then just execute while you are shooting that seems to help.

My preshot routine sucks! I have been working with an instructor and he has been beating it into me. Same with a mantra, I need to work on remembering to use it. I getting there but. . .

You might try only counting the racks/frames if the marking of the score is taking you away from you routine.

I'm doing this now, seldom do I know what the numbers are unless I stop and do some counting.

Thanks for your thoughts

CreeDo

I think that is a great idea. I have a camera and will set it up to help me see my stance and stroke. I guess I'll try to put together a 50 ball run on tape.

Thanks to all for your input,

Andy

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I think that is a great idea. I have a camera and will set it up to help me see my stance and stroke. I guess I'll try to put together a 50 ball run on tape.

Thanks to all for your input,

Andy

Good luck, I can't wait to see it! And I'll be nagging you if I don't see one haha. Who knows, maybe you'll hit 50 and keep right on rolling to triple digits. Not all that many hundreds from 'regular joes' in the forums.