14.1 instructional run of 80 balls.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi. I have been off from 14.1 some time. I played a lot of tournaments lately(other billiard games too) and now finally I got again inspiration shoot some 14.1.

I tried to put some instructional 14.1 stuff on YouTube.
First I tried to ran some balls while i try talk about it. My goal was to put only 50+ run because I did not have any 14.1 runs in months. I ran 80 balls while I commentating and it was okay run with my new shaft which I played 4 days so far. One cool trickshot:eek::eek: :grin-square::grin-square::grin-square: also I believe 70 ball mark!! Finally all talking got me and I missed quite easy ball.. :(

Here is link for vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-E8IE1ZdhE

P.s If you wanna see trick only it is around 47:10 :p

P.p.s Also next day I came back and run 70 and 60 + runs right after that 80 run so I believe it is because my new shaft have less deflection. Not LD still. Deflection is like 75 if Predator 314 is 0 and solid maple is 100. I played solid maple whole my life. Only thing is my new shaft draw is somewhat harder to get.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Great Footage !!

and even better shot at the 47:10 mark.....And yes you are a little bit nuts for finding it>>>LOL

-Steve

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I am a new player

I know how to pocket shots,

but its amazing how much experience you have with cue ball control. When you describe what could happen after I shot, I realize how much I need to consider.

I watched the first three racks, and I understand that 14.1 emphasizes where you put the cue ball as important as pocketing a shot. Most days I just pocket a shot, and think the roll will help me out. Thinking about controlling the roll is new to me.

As a new player I was satisfied pocketing balls, now I see how much more experience I need to understand cue ball control.

Your trick shot at 47:10 is how I feel if I see a break shot on the table. I need to stop getting so happy pocketing shots, and start focusing on cue control.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Footage !!

and even better shot at the 47:10 mark.....And yes you are a little bit nuts for finding it>>>LOL

-Steve

justnum
I know how to pocket shots,

but its amazing how much experience you have with cue ball control. When you describe what could happen after I shot, I realize how much I need to consider.

I watched the first three racks, and I understand that 14.1 emphasizes where you put the cue ball as important as pocketing a shot. Most days I just pocket a shot, and think the roll will help me out. Thinking about controlling the roll is new to me.

As a new player I was satisfied pocketing balls, now I see how much more experience I need to understand cue ball control.

Your trick shot at 47:10 is how I feel if I see a break shot on the table. I need to stop getting so happy pocketing shots, and start focusing on cue control.

Thanks!

Btw. I made similar video on 8-ball earlier when I was preparing World Series 8-ball Finnish Qualification.
I was lucky and went all way to final but lost to Russian Pro Seroshtan. He was going to China 8-ball and that overlaps with Darren´s tournament. So I got then place to next January New York 8-ball tournament! :D

Here is link to that also if someone is interested that too :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwTHw4AFn4k&t=20s

app4dstn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks!

Btw. I made similar video on 8-ball earlier when I was preparing World Series 8-ball Finnish Qualification.
I was lucky and went all way to final but lost to Russian Pro Seroshtan. He was going to China 8-ball and that overlaps with Darren´s tournament. So I got then place to next January New York 8-ball tournament! :D

Here is link to that also if someone is interested that too :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwTHw4AFn4k&t=20s

So good to hear your voice and be a part of your thinking process. Did I read this correctly and you're coming to the US this winter?

I just got kicked off the HD tv where I was studying racks 1 and 2 of the 8ball vid, being able to easily rewind repeatedly. My 8 year old daughter as she relieved me of the remote... Is that your friend? How come you can't do that? Is he German or something? Well, honey it's more complicated than that.

As said Flounder in Animal House, "oh boy this is great!"

Yet again, AZB for the win.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So good to hear your voice and be a part of your thinking process. Did I read this correctly and you're coming to the US this winter?

I just got kicked off the HD tv where I was studying racks 1 and 2 of the 8ball vid, being able to easily rewind repeatedly. My 8 year old daughter as she relieved me of the remote... Is that your friend? How come you can't do that? Is he German or something? Well, honey it's more complicated than that.

As said Flounder in Animal House, "oh boy this is great!"

Yet again, AZB for the win.

Thanks for nice words!
And yes I gonna be on first Darren Appleton´s 8-ball series tournament on Steinways NY.

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for sharing your video. Hearing your thought process is useful, and I will pass the link on to a friend who just started playing the game.

P.S. Get a bigger memory card so you don't get distracted by the thought of running out of storage space mid-run. :smash: (I now don't have to worry about running out of memory card space, just battery - so I carry around an extra battery I can charge off of while recording!)

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for sharing your video. Hearing your thought process is useful, and I will pass the link on to a friend who just started playing the game.

P.S. Get a bigger memory card so you don't get distracted by the thought of running out of storage space mid-run. :smash: (I now don't have to worry about running out of memory card space, just battery - so I carry around an extra battery I can charge off of while recording!)

It is 64gb card but Fat 32 file system have max filesize 4 gb.. :( I have to try get it some other file system I read about some fat32 ex or something but dunno yet..

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Numerous thank you's, a firm handshake, a few drinks and a sandwich after, a high five and a wide grin as I walk out the virtual door for you taking time to share this with us, Poolmanis - in other words: much appreciated, sir. Well done. I learned a few things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is 64gb card but Fat 32 file system have max filesize 4 gb.. :( I have to try get it some other file system I read about some fat32 ex or something but dunno yet..

You've probably already done this, but check to see if your camera / recorder can automatically split the video into 4GB chunks. I believe that's how most cameras handle that problem. (Using a GoPro here) It does mean combining all the resulting files afterwards if you did a long recording, but most software makes that easy.

Anyway, thanks again for the video. Didn't mean to turn this into tech talk. :)

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious about what tip you are using on your cue.

I use ElkMasters.

bral
You've probably already done this, but check to see if your camera / recorder can automatically split the video into 4GB chunks. I believe that's how most cameras handle that problem. (Using a GoPro here) It does mean combining all the resulting files afterwards if you did a long recording, but most software makes that easy.

Anyway, thanks again for the video. Didn't mean to turn this into tech talk.

I did not check it. I use my Huawei Honor 7 lite android phone. Gotta check it later. Thanks for advices! :smile:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use ElkMasters.

Thanks, I noticed you got good spin on the ball when you needed to. One question about the run. Here...

https://youtu.be/i-E8IE1ZdhE?t=2975

You identified the 14 as the problem and I thought you were going to go one rail off the 9 for the 14 in the side which would open up the 7 without moving any balls. Did you avoid that because the angle made the 14 a difficult shot?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use ElkMasters.

Thanks, I noticed you got good spin on the ball when you needed to. One question about the run. Here...

https://youtu.be/i-E8IE1ZdhE?t=2975

You identified the 14 as the problem and I thought you were going to go one rail off the 9 for the 14 in the side which would open up the 7 without moving any balls. Did you avoid that because the angle made the 14 a difficult shot?

I don't want to shoot 14 to middle pocket because;
If you play various conditions you gonna get table "roll off" maybe one time per 4 shots. And it is so shallow angle to side pocket so ball could be missed easily even without roll off. I could do on this table because i know it is so straight but that is wrong way to play IMO. I would prefer position to 14 to low right corner before shooting that middle pocket. Even if that means harder positional play.
Run ending probability is just too high. If someone plays to side pocket I think it is not wrong but experience tells me ; Do something else.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want to shoot 14 to middle pocket because;
If you play various conditions you gonna get table "roll off" maybe one time per 4 shots. And it is so shallow angle to side pocket so ball could be missed easily even without roll off. I could do on this table because i know it is so straight but that is wrong way to play IMO. I would prefer position to 14 to low right corner before shooting that middle pocket. Even if that means harder positional play.
Run ending probability is just too high. If someone plays to side pocket I think it is not wrong but experience tells me ; Do something else.

Thanks for the reply. It is interesting to hear how people think. Post more videos like this - it was excellent.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

@Poolmanis: Thanks for posting this. Sometimes amateur videos like this are more informative than ones done by professionals. I recall taking a group lesson from Mike Sigel in which he was demonstrating straight pool play. He discusses the break shot and then after the break shot he says something like, "You guys don't just want to watch me run off all these balls, do you?"

One question about your run: In the last rack, the 14 was near the break ball 7 and you didn't want to shoot it in the left side pocket because it was "at the mercy of the table (48:50)." Are you saying that the side pockets are too tight for that shot? It just wasn't clear to me. One could argue that ultimately that concern over the 14 ball ended your run by forcing you to make more cue ball maneuvers.

Thanks again, and I couldn't help but laugh out loud when you put that "I suck" label on the screen. I know the feeling well!! (and of course you don't suck at all. Great shooting)!" :thumbup:

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Poolmanis. Thanks for uploading the vid of your 80-ball run + useful commentary.

The physics of your 47:10 trick shot are quite similar to the famous “Hustler” movie “wrap-around” shot. Perhaps it remained in your subconscious until one of those “desperation” moments we’ve all experienced during a long 14.1 run prompted the need for something like it in your 47:10 situation.

I made a slo-mo of Mosconi demonstrating that “Hustler” shot and uploaded it to Youtube a few months ago. It even involved the same numbered ball (the one-ball):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjFCU4RDUC8

And here’s a slo-mo I made recently of John Schmidt’s terrific long-distance (somewhat daring) kick-carom shot out of the pack, with similar but less complex actual mechanics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VELS868BRek

Enjoyed your video greatly.

Arnaldo

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Poolmanis. Thanks for uploading the vid of your 80-ball run + useful commentary.

The physics of your 47:10 trick shot are quite similar to the famous “Hustler” movie “wrap-around” shot. Perhaps it remained in your subconscious until one of those “desperation” moments we’ve all experienced during a long 14.1 run prompted the need for something like it in your 47:10 situation.

I made a slo-mo of Mosconi demonstrating that “Hustler” shot and uploaded it to Youtube a few months ago. It even involved the same numbered ball (the one-ball):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjFCU4RDUC8

And here’s a slo-mo I made recently of John Schmidt’s terrific long-distance (somewhat daring) kick-carom shot out of the pack, with similar but less complex actual mechanics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VELS868BRek

Enjoyed your video greatly.

Arnaldo

You are right. I first think that Mosconi trickshot when I saw carom. Actually i practiced it 15 years ago but I already forgotten how to put it up. :)