Efren Reyes at the 2018 American 14.1 tournament

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Related to which, I was hoping to see the results for this tournament somewhere. Are those anywhere online?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice run by Efren considering the ball didn't appear to be opening particularly well.

SlateMate

Banned
well, i just started watching and Reyes is making a lot of mistakes and paying for them. straight pool is not his forte.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
well, i just started watching and Reyes is making a lot of mistakes and paying for them. straight pool is not his forte.

Not his forte, but he still did well when he played it:

1995 -- 1st in the Maine Event
2000 -- 3rd in the US Open 14.1 Championship (Souquet 1st, Chin 2nd)
2012 -- 2nd in the World 14.1 (Schmidt 1st)
2018 -- 9th/16th in the American 14.1 Championship

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Efren had a run of 92 I think in the match. You are correct he doesn't play it much because there is no money in it. Still not a lot of guys running that many balls in competition over 60 years of age.

SlateMate

Banned
Not his forte, but he still did well when he played it:

1995 -- 1st in the Maine Event
2000 -- 3rd in the US Open 14.1 Championship (Souquet 1st, Chin 2nd)
2012 -- 2nd in the World 14.1 (Schmidt 1st)
2018 -- 9th/16th in the American 14.1 Championship

like John Schmidt says: " if you are a straight shooter, you are going to run a lot of balls." Reyes plays 14.1 well only because he's THE GREATEST POOL PLAYER EVER. as an 85 ball runner hack, i'm watching him make mistakes.... for example: he has a below the rack secondary break-shot with an insurance ball at the corner. all he SHOULD HAVE DONE was nudge the loose ball at the bottom of the cluster over a bit but instead hits them hard and THAT ball came off the cushion and blocked his insurance ball. he was lucky that he could continue his run.