What I Do Like CTE

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
One thing that has intrigued me about CTE (not the only thing) is its use of two lines rather than one for shot alignment. I thought to myself, that idea has potential - I'm stealing it.

But then I realized that I'd already beat myself to it. I've been doing it all along.

I'm a contact point aimer - I try to see the OB contact point and hit it with the CB. My "system" is to "measure" cut angles by the distance the CB's center (and my cue for many shots) is aimed from the OB contact point - a specific visual to aid memorization and recall.

I think my contact point & ghostball center references are very much like CTE's center-to-edge & edge-to-A/B/C reference lines - a combination of a fixed reference (my center-to-ghostball --- CTE's center-to-edge) and a moving shotline (my OB contact point --- CTE's edge-to-A/B/C) used to "triangulate" a visual relationship for memorization/recall.

Anybody else do something similar?

pj
chgo

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing that has intrigued me about CTE (not the only thing) is its use of two lines rather than one for shot alignment. I thought to myself, that idea has potential - I'm stealing it.

But then I realized that I'd already beat myself to it. I've been doing it all along.

I'm a contact point aimer - I try to see the OB contact point and hit it with the CB. My "system" is to "measure" cut angles by the distance the CB's center (and my cue for many shots) is aimed from the OB contact point - a specific visual to aid memorization and recall.

I think my contact point & ghostball center references are very much like CTE's center-to-edge & edge-to-A/B/C reference lines - a combination of a fixed reference (my center-to-ghostball --- CTE's center-to-edge) and a moving shotline (my OB contact point --- CTE's edge-to-A/B/C) used to "triangulate" a visual relationship for memorization/recall.

pj
chgo

I think pretty much anybody who can play does something similar. It is a combination of things (conscious or subconscious).

Some people do it instinctively (and think they aren't using a system) and others are more attuned to what they are doing.

Aiming is aiming, but aiming won't do anything for you if you can't hit what you are aiming at.

You can call aiming anything you want, but it is all the same thing in one's mind. I don't care how many letters you use in the name of it.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

You seem to be one of a kind with your aiming.

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
Might as well define the forward and backward directions also.

Your system starts with one line, the CP to CP, and then adds a second parallel line with no pivot or sweep. CTE starts with two lines which aren't parallel and finishes with one line after a pivot or sweep. I think I see it now.

Care to add anything on the Z axis? Might be a graph in all this mess.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I use the fidget method I learned by watching a person who doesn't know anything about CTE and who has been a huge opponent of it and has been an incredibly nasty person over the years. to Hal Houle and Stan and anyone else who dared to speak up positively about CTE. After meeting this person and shooting some pool I was so impressed by his ability to fidget his way into the shot line I had to adopt it.

Basically it consists of getting down into shooting stance and fidgeting around until it's "right" and then taking the shot.

Best aiming method ever.

Fidget til you Get It.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
I use the fidget method I learned by watching a person who doesn't know anything about CTE and who has been a huge opponent of it and has been an incredibly nasty person over the years. to Hal Houle and Stan and anyone else who dared to speak up positively about CTE. After meeting this person and shooting some pool I was so impressed by his ability to fidget his way into the shot line I had to adopt it.

Basically it consists of getting down into shooting stance and fidgeting around until it's "right" and then taking the shot.

Best aiming method ever.

Fidget til you Get It.

Fiddddgggetaboutit!

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best aiming method ever.
Fidget til you Get It.
----------------

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Is this that thing someone on here posted about a "Lizard Head System"...??

No, it's pretty much what Pat Johnson described except without being anything like CTE. Fidget until you feel right. I might have some video somewhere of the fidget aimer doing his thing.....

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

I sometimes do something similar except that I pivot into the correct angle. I aim CCB to CP and then pivot to parallel. It works extremely well for me. However I can see that there is some subjective adjustment to get to the correct shot line for some angles the way I'm doing it.

However, I have been experimenting with incorporating something from Shiska-bob which is not re-aligning my head after the pivot and just pivoting to the CP. So center shaft is aimed directly at CP but the eye position is offset. I seem to make balls like crazy doing this but it doesn't look right. I agree I probably mis-interpreted that part of the bob.

The other thing that I've been experimenting along those lines is aiming inside of cue through CCB to CP and noticing where on the tip the center of the OB is. Then I pivot to CCB and put same point that was on COB on the OB contact point. Thinking this could be a different way of measuring double the distance.

I don't understand CTE and I can't wait for the new videos. I mean, I understand it in it's most basic theory, but I don't 'grok' it.

I do, however, love experimenting with the different perceptions and pivots that I have discovered from trying to learn it.

ETA: I should add that when I'm competing I don't do any of this. :D But practicing or cheap gambling a lot of times I'm messing around with it. Which leads to a lot of "How come you played so good the other day and not now?" kind of questions.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

pj
chgo
Use a ghost ball aim trainer and get it over with.
Stop baiting.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
No, it's pretty much what Pat Johnson described except without being anything like CTE. Fidget until you feel right. I might have some video somewhere of the fidget aimer doing his thing.....
20 or so years ago... while beating you.

pj <- just a little context
chgo