European championships 2019

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i seen someone say there was a 5 yr contract, and this is every other yr, so 2021 may be the last of the brandenburg european multidiscipline championships

we`ll see if i have the guts to make the trip for 2021

marvelous

starts april 26 coverage on kozoom
http://www.kozoom.com/en/billiard-carom/agenda/event/25136.html

52970916_10218722470003643_1213085427964051456_n.jpg

52605639_10218722469923641_2024902992154591232_n.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, they don't quite have all possible events, but they come pretty close:

CropperCapture[260].jpg

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
i dont think there is a more diverse/grand billiard event i can think of
oodles of billiards for a week in germany with all the greats
what more can a billiard fan ask for

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Article from kozoom with breakdown day by day of the games

Countdown for Europeans: 500 players, 21 countries

BRANDENBURG AN DER HAVEL - The countdown to the European championship all disciplines in Brandenburg an der Havel has started. In less than six weeks, the European championships are opened in the German city where the mega-tournament is held every two years and now for the fourth time. The tournament combines all popular billiards disciplines in one championship. In total, more than 500 athletes from 21 countries compete for the coveted European titles.

The sporting city, not so far from Berlin, was the organizer in 2013, 2015 and 2017 in the sports center Stahlpalast. And because the European billiard federation, led by Diane Wild, has very good experiences with the organization, the leadership of the tournament hall, the leadership of the city of Brandenburg and the state of Brandenburg, it was almost evident to continue the cycle.

CEB president Diane Wild: ''We work together closely with the city of Brandenburg and Helga Blawid as coordinator with her wonderful colleagues. They enable us to organize this gigantic event over eleven days and with a total of 18 new champions at the podium. With the Axxon hotel and the Stahlpalast, as well as the main sponsor Mittelbrandenburgische Sparkasse, we have very reliable and interested partners on our side.''

The impressive schedule consists of the various disciplines: three cushion, free game, one cushion, balk-lines, 5 pins and artistic for both men and women. The integration of youth (under 17 and under 21) at the European championship is extremely important for the organizers. ''They are the future of our sport and can be close to their idols at this tournament."

The Euro-pins and 3-cushion disciplines for wheelchair athletes are played as demonstration matches.

Further details of the organization and sporting aspect of the European championship will be provided during a press conference on Monday, March 25 at 14.00 at the Axxon Hotel, Magdeburger Landstraße 228 in Brandenburg an der Havel.The schedule:

Thursday, April 25:
Group matches artistic billiards
Group competitions 5 pins

Friday, April 26:
Group matches and 1/8th final artistic
Group matches 5 pins
Group matches balk-line 71/2
Group matches three cushion under 17 (small table)
Group matches free game ladies (small table)

Saturday, April 27:
Finals artistic billiards
1/16 and 1/8 final 5 pins
Finals balk-line 71/2
Finales three cushion under 17 (small billiards)
Group matches free game ladies (small)
Finals free game ladies

Sunday, April 28:
Finals 5 pins
Group matches in balk-line 47/2
Group matches free game under 17 (small)
Group matches 5 pins national teams
Group matches club teams three cushion (small table)

Monday, April 29:
Quarter and semi-final balk-line 47/2
Finals free game under 17 (small)
Finales 5 pins under 21
Group matches 5 pins national teams
Quarter-final 5 pins country teams
Group matches biathlon teams under 21

Tuesday, April 30: 1
Final balk-line 47/2
Finals 5 pins national teams
1/8 and quarter-final club teams three cushion small
Group matches biathlon teams under 21
Group matches one cushion

Wednesday, May 1:
1/8 and quarter-final club teams three cushion small
Finals biathlon teams under 21
Finals one cushion
Group matches three cushion under 21 (match)
Group matches three cushion (small table)

Thursday, May 2:
Finals club teams three cushion small
Finals three cushion under 21
Group matches three cushion (small)
Group matches three cushion individual (match)
Group matches free game under 21 (match)

Friday, May 3:
Group matches three cushion (small)
1/16, 1/8 and 1/4 final three-cushion individual (match)
Group matches free game under 21 (match)
Semi-final free game under 21 (match)
Group matches three cushion ladies (match)

Saturday, May 4:
1/16 and 1/8 final three-cushion individual (small)
Finals three-cushion individual (match)
Final free game under 21 (match)
Group matches three cushion ladies (match)
1/8 and 1/4 final three cushion ladies (match)
Group matches three cushion country teams (match)

Sunday, May 5:
Finals three-cushion individual (small)
Finals ladies three cushion (match)
Finals three-cushion national teams (match).

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Dave christiani and eddy leppens for the final on now
Would like to see eddy win it

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
ONE CUSHION
recap highlights

http://www.kozoom.com/en/billiard-carom/news/dave-christiani-only-the-gold-is-what-counts.html

BRANDENBURG - The final match was more a torture than a nice climax of the tournament. The 39-year-old Dutchman Dave Christiani eventually took the title in the European championship one cushion in the final against Belgian Eddy Leppens. The winner commented shortly afterwards, ''It was very, very bad, but it's only the gold that counts. I am really happy with it, because it is only my second European title in many years.'' The final score was 120-111 in 21 innings, a level that is far below that the best one cushion players can perform.

The Dutchman, who plays two balk-lines and one cushion at this championship, woke up on the morning of the final day with a sudden cold and a pain in the throat. Dave Christiani felt far from fit, missed the good feeling throughout the whole championship and had to put up his character and fighting spirit. ''I saw that Eddy Leppens did not play well either and luckily I could score a little better at the good moments. That's why I have been on a winning score throughout the match. But what a hard fight it was. I don't know how many times we have solved impossible positions, how many three cushion shots we have played. It was very defensive and tacticly of course, because only winning was important, but for a final this was far below what we can.''

With the intermediate scores 25-3 in 3, 55-32 in 7, 61-38 in 10 at the break and then 95-69 in 15, 104-79 in 18, Christiani was finally able to produce a run of ten in his last. Eddy Leppens, still combative as always in that final phase, had 99 points on the scoreboard and had to score 21 times to draw. The Belgian missed out on a five-cushion shot, due to a kiss on its way. Christiani could finally, sixteen years after his first European title (in balk-line 47/2) cheer for his second European gold.

What should have been the climax of the one cushion, was a wear and tear match which showed displayed lots of tension until the end. Two Frenchmen, Johann Petit and Willy Gérimont later walked on with the final players to the podium. The tournament had one of its highlights in the match between Jean Paul de Bruijn and Johann Petit in the quarterfinals. The Frenchman raise to high hights and won 120-34 in 2 innings, eliminating the big favorite for the title.

Johann Petit remembered afterwards a run of 145 in one cushion that he made against Torbjörn Blomdahl four years ago and realized that he made a brilliant final run of 82 against De Bruijn. ''I realised at the end that I should not miss anymore, because Jean Paul de Bruijn with his high class can decide a match from any score.'' The Dutchman, who got the balls in his first inning in an ideal position, missed a little one cushion playing too short. De Bruijn, who won 28 recent matches in a row in one cushion, had to bow for the first time in a long time. "I congratulate my opponent, his run was great."

The joy of the Frenchman didn't last long, because in the next round he was eliminated by Leppens 120-16 in 3. Christiani won in that semi-final against Gérimont 120-64 in 10.

The other highlights were the maximum run of 100 by Sam van Etten, who was eliminated by Eddy Leppens in his second match of the preliminaries. Xavier Gretillat beat Jean Francois Florent in 2 innings, Jean Paul de Bruijn and Eddy Leppens won a match in 3 innings.

For the Italians, the national anthem sounded again after the victory in the biathlon. This tournament was for country teams with players under 21, who played three cushion and 5 pins. Riccardo Matino (5 pins) and Alessio D'Agata won the final against Germany (Marcel Back, Max Gabel), 200-160. In the semi-final, Italy beat the French (Maxime Panaia/Florian Guingand) 200-157. Germany 1 bested Germany 2 200-90.

the top 4

DSC02086.jpg

l to r
Eddy leppens 2nd place
dave christiani 1st place
johann petit 3rd place
willy gerimont 4th place