How good was Mike Coltrain?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike developed one of the worst cases of PMCSS.

He suffered Post Mosconi Cup Stress Syndrome. I t is quite a common condition and is known to be related to an allergy to baying mobs

Mike was heavily exposed to that on his Mosconi debut and was never the same player again

I think pro9dg was attempting a little humor here a la Europe v. America, but due to the admiration of Michael Coltrain's fans and friends, the British-style humor came across wrong in this thread. It is my opinion that he meant no harm to the legacy of Michael Coltrain.

I'm friends with Michael on Facebook. A while back, he owned a Smoothie store in North Carolina somewhere. Today, he has a lovely daughter that he is proud as punch of. He's always posting photos of her. He still frequents the pool rooms and enjoys a little side-betting action from time to time.

Here's a cute shot of Michael and Alex at the Carolinas Open in 2004, I think

Attachments

• Michael Coltrain and Alex Pagulayan.JPG
    Michael Coltrain and Alex Pagulayan.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 396

emptypockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael didn't make his Mosconi Cup debut in 2000. His debut was in 1999. For two years of playing on the Mosconi Cup I believe his personal record was 4-6 and his Team record is 2-0. USA won 1999 and 2000, with both events held in Europe. :thumbup:

To the rest of the Bleeding Hearts on here - I have not deliberately set out to attack Michael. But 'classless' from someone using a Phallic Symbol for an avatar. An idiot and ignorant? Look in the mirror before answering.
Do you really know to what I am referring? Were you there in 2000 when Michael made his Mosconi Cup debut on the back of some first class tournament performances.
I was!
Mike's ability was without question when Matchroom chose him to play.
But come the day all his skills were slowly negated. At 3-3 he was pleading with his captain to let him on next because he had developed a shake. He managed to eke out a 5-4 win against European debutant Marcus Chamat. But the atmosphere had reached him and by the time he played his last match where a victory could have taken his team past the Winning Post he had nothing in his armory to prevent Steve Davis rolling over him. I have just rerun that match this morning and hearing the crowd chanting, many people would have also ended up on the wrong end of the 0-5 scoreline that Steve put on him.
From that day on he never did attain his top level of play again.

Many thanks to Satori who explained my original post with a full understanding of what I said and that is all you are going to get on the subject from me.

I think pro9dg was attempting a little humor here a la Europe v. America, but due to the admiration of Michael Coltrain's fans and friends, the British-style humor came across wrong in this thread. It is my opinion that he meant no harm to the legacy of Michael Coltrain.

I'm friends with Michael on Facebook. A while back, he owned a Smoothie store in North Carolina somewhere. Today, he has a lovely daughter that he is proud as punch of. He's always posting photos of her. He still frequents the pool rooms and enjoys a little side-betting action from time to time.

Here's a cute shot of Michael and Alex at the Carolinas Open in 2004, I think

Very sad about the medical condition that prevented him from competing at a high level in pool. Hopefully it did not hurt him in any other ways, or get worse over the years. So sad that the condition chose to ruin his pool career of all things. Very bad luck I think.

8BallWonderland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very sad what happened to Mike with the condition that ended his pro pool playing days.
I think he finished second to Strickland at the 1999 Camel Riviera 8 ball tournament.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe JAM has summed it up pretty well here, but none the less it is highly offensive & poor taste at best. Please remove that post.
Can you imagine devoting your entire life to something & becoming world class just to have a medical condition take it from you? And then come on here & see a comment like that. He deserves better than that.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mike developed one of the worst cases of PMCSS.

He suffered Post Mosconi Cup Stress Syndrome. I t is quite a common condition and is known to be related to an allergy to baying mobs

Mike was heavily exposed to that on his Mosconi debut and was never the same player again

Kind of like the syndrome that you developed a few years back, only your condition has affected your brain as well as your body. Karma is a MF'er!

FreeShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike was a fearless competitor & an extremely nice guy. What happened to him is most unfortunate.

Sums it up nicely. I saw him play from mid-90's until he stopped. He was a young, tough player possessed with a great stroke. It looked like he had the potential to follow in Johnny Archer's footsteps.

FreeShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe, but seeing that Michael had a neurological condition that prevented him from reaching his full potential, that comes off as a cheap, douchey shot.